Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, SCI, DSC
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA
CF46F664-5C4B-4064-81EA-EDB58B5B0D77.png
If you are interested in civil war history and artifacts you may be interested in seeing this rifle I just acquired.
It is a .58 caliber Springfield rifle. This one was made in 1861, near the start of the war. It is the main rifle issued to Union troops although the Confederates picked them up by the thousands off battlefields. Springfield made about 265,000 so they are fairly affordable. In order to keep up with demand about 20 other arms manufacturers also made “Springfield pattern rifles” that were nearly identical to the original.
In total over 800,000 Springfield type rifles were made during the war.

Wonderful rifle and classy display! Thanks for posting.

Nice !

Hey Cody, do we need one of these? Agree with you, a great display!

I want one

(y)

Hey Cody, do we need one of these? Agree with you, a great display!
I’ve got an old passed down family trap door Springfield, this gives me a great idea how to display it. I really admire a nice presentation like this and @RedLeg carbine in his man cave/guesthouse. Much more tasteful than my random gunsafe overflow leaning in corners! Lol

View attachment 224795 If you are interested in civil war history and artifacts you may be interested in seeing this rifle I just acquired.
It is a .58 caliber Springfield rifle. This one was made in 1861, near the start of the war. It is the main rifle issued to Union troops although the Confederates picked them up by the thousands off battlefields. Springfield made about 265,000 so they are fairly affordable. In order to keep up with demand about 20 other arms manufacturers also made “Springfield pattern rifles” that were nearly identical to the original.
In total over 800,000 Springfield type rifles were made during the war.

I’m particularly interested in American civil war stuff. Even though I’m not an American I have two civil war swords.

Nice!

I hope you're going to shoot it! A gun in that condition is just begging for a couple minié rounds backed by the mil-spec 60 grain FFG load! Nice piece. It is one of those things that you wish you could know where every scratch and dent came from because they usually have a story to tell.

Congrats on the new addition!!

Congrats, I agree with everyone else, what a beautiful display.

Thanks everyone! I thought you guys would enjoy seeing old rifles as much as I enjoy seeing them.

When I was a Kid my best friends dad had the same model that was used in the Haymarket Street Riot in Chicago, we just thought it was some kind of junkie old rifle and abused it as much as 14 year old kids tend to do

I would hunt that smoke pole.

DSCN9836.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! I've gotten to the point where the guns I really enjoy shooting are either the DG bolt guns in 416 or 458 or the old Mexican War and Civil War era muzzleloading rifles in 54, 577/58 or 69 caliber. I've been shooting those two types 10 to 1 over all the others in the safe over the last few years. And yes, if the bore is decent in that M1861, shoot it! Replace the nipple, check for soundness around the nipple seat and the breech end, load 50-60 gr of FF blackpowder under a Crisco lubed Minie, cap and fire!! :):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg