Follower too wide for action base

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Ray B, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I have a Mark X magnum length action with Blackburn bottom metal. The sides of the bottom metal match up with the action on the outside. The bottom metal is thinner than the sides of the action so there is a step in on the inside. The follower fits nicely in the bottom metal but is too wide to go into the action. this prevents the follower from being able to push the last cartridge up to the rail so that the bolt can contact it. In addition cartridges hand-up on the shoulder between the bottom metal and the action.

Solutions: The interior sides of the action could be machined away to match the bottom metal
    The follower could be machined to fit into the action, or
    a bead of epoxy could be set to fill the corner between the bottom metal and the action- this would allow for smoother feeding of cartridges but still wouldn't help the final cartridge.

I'm reluctant to machine on the action, but if that is the best cure, I can have it done.

2. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Ray B, just wondering if some previous owner replaced the follower. Have you tried finding an "original" from Numerich or other source of used gun parts? The actions were made by Zastava.

3. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    The upper portion of the action was new-in box and not used. The bottom metal, which included the follower and magazine spring is Blackburn. I could go with a Mauser follower, which would fit into the upper, but then there would be play between the follower and the magazine and it wouldn't change the problem with the cartridges catching on the step between the magazine and the upper.

4. Stuart Satterlee

Stuart Satterlee AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hi Ray,
    Re-machining of the Receiver magazine well will be required to match the Blackburn box and eliminate the ledge the follower is getting stuck on in its vertical travel.
    From what gather this is currently an action not a barreled action. If so what cartridge are you looking to run with it.

5. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:

it was a new-in-box action with new Blackburn metal but I had a barrel installed on it. Long story but I have a barrel made by CP Donnelly in 300 Weatherby for which I had been searching for a suitable action. the action came from the factory long enough for the 3.6" cartridges, but would work better with tapered cartridges such as the H&H. Closer examination shows the step involved the forward portion of the magazine well, so while I hate to machine on the action, it either that or get factory bottom metal and save the Backburn for a different action, which will lead me on another chase.

6. Stuart Satterlee

Stuart Satterlee AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Do you want me to look at it, fix it's problems and make it feed.