Flying to Canada from the US with a rifle

Reclassifications and prohibitions accompanied by confiscations without compensation are part of our history and likely future under the current regime of antigun liberals. Ask anyone who owns a prohib long gun about why one day he could take it to the range then the next it could only leave his house if it was going to be turned in for destruction, again without compensation. Or how about the poor saps with the 22 plinker the G-22 who had to give up the gun or stock, again confiscation no compensation. Sorry but I stand by repressive
I get that, and I agree that some of the actions by governments have been less than stellar - the Swiss Arms case is a great example. But you get that sort of thing in every country. Stupid, yes, repressive, I wouldn't go that far. But to each their own!

Having said that, things could be a lot worse, and I expect they will, under the current government.

I get that, and I agree that some of the actions by governments have been less than stellar - the Swiss Arms case is a great example. But you get that sort of thing in every country. Stupid, yes, repressive, I wouldn't go that far. But to each their own!

Having said that, things could be a lot worse, and I expect they will, under the current government.

I concur it is going to get a lot worse under this government. when the RCMP pull out their illegal copy of the registry and start calling people my response ( and many others) will be:

sold it
traded it
gave it away

cop to who? me he had a valid license that is all I care to remember

Folks as this thread started in 2016 I suspect procedures have changed and really not a lot of detail as to how taking a rifle across the border works. I am going on a bear hunt in May of 2023. I have already applied for and received my WIN # but I understand that has to do with obtaining the hunting license . I plan to take my own rifle and ammo for the hunt.
Would some kind person walk me through the process to take the rifle flying into Edmonton Alberta?
Thank you in advance for explaining for me.
Charlie

Just received a revised flight itinerary from United and it's ugly. Before I get on the phone with them and try to come up with a better plan, was seeking some advice. I have a Dall Sheep hunt in August.

Connection time in Vancouver?

I will fly into Vancouver from the US and then onto Whitehorse, Yukon. I guess I clear customs in Vancouver and whatever clearance for my rifle.

Is 2 hours enough time between flights or is theat cutting it too close?

Thanks,
Dave
I can't speak for Vancouver, but Toronto was a total cluster fuck when I traveled through there earlier this year. Two hours was not enough time in the Toronto Airport

Folks as this thread started in 2016 I suspect procedures have changed and really not a lot of detail as to how taking a rifle across the border works. I am going on a bear hunt in May of 2023. I have already applied for and received my WIN # but I understand that has to do with obtaining the hunting license . I plan to take my own rifle and ammo for the hunt.
Would some kind person walk me through the process to take the rifle flying into Edmonton Alberta?
Thank you in advance for explaining for me.
Charlie
I am available to speak by phone if typing a bunch of info is not your thing.

I’ve flown into Edmonton a bunch of times with a rifle and ammo. Go online and get the Canadian firearm import paperwork. Fill it all in and have it ready. Do not sign the form though. You have to do that in front of the customs officer. Once they inspect the rifle and you sign the form you go to the cashiers window and pay the fee for the import permit. In 2021 it was $50 Canadian. You can use a credit card for this. In 11 trips I have never had them ask to see the ammo. If you are looking at the baggage carousels the over sized window where the rifles come out is in the back left hand corner. The customs area is right by that. There will be to statues of a large whitetail and mule deer close by. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Not to add any more concerns for you, Charlie, but if it were me I would be concerned with recent gun law changes in Canada that are clearly not in favor of gun owners. They may have no impact on traveling into Canada with a gun, but I would want to get as many facts as possible from their customs folks, whether that be from their website or in writing via email etc. Hopefully it will be easy for you to track down solid answers.

Charlie, I’m a Canadian, so I’ve never gone through the entire process myself, but I have seen it and what Canadians have to do is substantially similar when we return with firearms (except we don’t have to fill out a form). Here’s what you should do (with all the usual caveats that government agents can be difficult and sometimes a bit arbitrary - but you’re going to Edmonton, and they will have experience with this so your odds of ‘unintentional’ trouble are really reduced):

1. Make sure your rifle is legal to possess in Canada. In Canadian legal lingo, it has to be a non-restricted firearm. Most rifles are non-restricted, but any of the following would be a significant problem:

- any AR-15 type rifle or any variant thereof. If it looks like it might be military, don’t bring it. It’s prohibited in Canada (although there’s a fight about that at the moment - but you don’t want to get in the middle of that). Calling it a “modern sporting rifle” won’t help!

- any semi-auto has to have a clip which can hold no more than five rounds. If it can hold more than that, it’s prohibited. Again, we’re fighting about that, but again, not a fight you want to get in the middle of.

In other words, you should bring something that looks like a regular, bolt action rifle to minimize any potential issues. We don’t have a problem with any particular calibre, but recent legislation has tried to make certain elephant and larger calibers prohibited (like .50 BMG), so bringing those would cause some issues. I’m assuming you’re not hunting dinosaurs.

2. Don’t bring any handguns with you. These are ‘restricted” in our parlance, and some are prohibited (and the distinction is pretty arbitrary). They will be likely be confiscated. You cannot hunt with a handgun in Canada. There is a way to bring them in temporarily but not worth the trouble.

3. When you arrive in Canada, declare the firearms at the machine where you will fill out your declaration (Canadians have to do that as well). When you get to the officer, he will likely ask you what you have and why, and you say for hunting, and he will refer you to secondary inspection (or write a code on your form which will tell the guy who collects forms as you leave the customs baggage area to send you to secondary.

You will then go and pick up your luggage which will include the rifle.

4. At secondary inspection, a Canadian shows his firearms permit and they may or may not check the rifle, but generally that’s it (if they’re coming from anywhere other than the US the customs officer will also look for an export permit, and the Canadian will generally want the officer to sign his permit saying he has returned the firearm to Canada). In your case they will ask what you’re hunting and where (keep that info with you). They (or you and they) will fill out a form which will allow you to bring the rifle into Canada on a temporary basis. (Form RCMP 5589, I think: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf). You might ven be able to fill this out in advance and save some time.

5. You’re good to go.

You’re flying into Edmonton, so they will have experience with this sort of thing, and by and large I think you will find the officers to be pretty polite and helpful (if you are too!). It happens a lot during hunting season, so don’t sweat it. If you’re bringing in a ’non-restricted’ rifle you won’t have any trouble.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Attachments

• d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf
    642.6 KB · Views: 53
Charlie, I’m a Canadian, so I’ve never gone through the entire process myself, but I have seen it and what Canadians have to do is substantially similar when we return with firearms (except we don’t have to fill out a form). Here’s what you should do (with all the usual caveats that government agents can be difficult and sometimes a bit arbitrary - but you’re going to Edmonton, and they will have experience with this so your odds of ‘unintentional’ trouble are really reduced):

1. Make sure your rifle is legal to possess in Canada. In Canadian legal lingo, it has to be a non-restricted firearm. Most rifles are non-restricted, but any of the following would be a significant problem:

- any AR-15 type rifle or any variant thereof. If it looks like it might be military, don’t bring it. It’s prohibited in Canada (although there’s a fight about that at the moment - but you don’t want to get in the middle of that). Calling it a “modern sporting rifle” won’t help!

- any semi-auto has to have a clip which can hold no more than five rounds. If it can hold more than that, it’s prohibited. Again, we’re fighting about that, but again, not a fight you want to get in the middle of.

In other words, you should bring something that looks like a regular, bolt action rifle to minimize any potential issues. We don’t have a problem with any particular calibre, but recent legislation has tried to make certain elephant and larger calibers prohibited (like .50 BMG), so bringing those would cause some issues. I’m assuming you’re not hunting dinosaurs.

2. Don’t bring any handguns with you. These are ‘restricted” in our parlance, and some are prohibited (and the distinction is pretty arbitrary). They will be likely be confiscated. You cannot hunt with a handgun in Canada. There is a way to bring them in temporarily but not worth the trouble.

3. When you arrive in Canada, declare the firearms at the machine where you will fill out your declaration (Canadians have to do that as well). When you get to the officer, he will likely ask you what you have and why, and you say for hunting, and he will refer you to secondary inspection (or write a code on your form which will tell the guy who collects forms as you leave the customs baggage area to send you to secondary.

You will then go and pick up your luggage which will include the rifle.

4. At secondary inspection, a Canadian shows his firearms permit and they may or may not check the rifle, but generally that’s it (if they’re coming from anywhere other than the US the customs officer will also look for an export permit, and the Canadian will generally want the officer to sign his permit saying he has returned the firearm to Canada). In your case they will ask what you’re hunting and where (keep that info with you). They (or you and they) will fill out a form which will allow you to bring the rifle into Canada on a temporary basis. (Form RCMP 5589, I think: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf). You might ven be able to fill this out in advance and save some time.

5. You’re good to go.

You’re flying into Edmonton, so they will have experience with this sort of thing, and by and large I think you will find the officers to be pretty polite and helpful (if you are too!). It happens a lot during hunting season, so don’t sweat it. If you’re bringing in a ’non-restricted’ rifle you won’t have any trouble.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Thank you for the info

I went to BC in Oct 2021 and flew through Vancouver. Fill out the RCMP form ahead of time and print out 3 copies and don't sign them yet. https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf

You also need your US CBP Form 4457, in order to bring your gun back into the US.

When you land in Canada, you collect your bags usually on one carousel and your rifle on the oversized carousel or a special desk for firearms. You then go to a checkpoint for them to look at the RCMP forms, you sign them there and pay a 30 or 35 dollar fee. The clerk will barely look at your gun, if at all.

Coming back home, you usually clear US Customs at the major airports in Canada.

Attachments

• d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf
    642.6 KB · Views: 47
I went to BC in Oct 2021 and flew through Vancouver. Fill out the RCMP form ahead of time and print out 3 copies and don't sign them yet. https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf

You also need your US CBP Form 4457, in order to bring your gun back into the US.

When you land in Canada, you collect your bags usually on one carousel and your rifle on the oversized carousel or a special desk for firearms. You then go to a checkpoint for them to look at the RCMP forms, you sign them there and pay a 30 or 35 dollar fee. The clerk will barely look at your gun, if at all.

Coming back home, you usually clear US Customs at the major airports in Canada.
When I drove up to Alberta in 2017, the only paperwork I took was the Canadian Firearms Import Form and the letter from my outfitter. Think it took about 30-40 minutes at the crossing out of Montana. I do remember I did not take my Winchester 94 Trapper as it has a 16" barrel, and those are apparently restricted in Canada.
What I didn't take was a Form 4457. Is that a more recent requirement? When I came back across the border, I don't think it even took 15 minutes. The BP agent barely glanced at the paperwork, the wildlife officer wasn't there, so he and I muddled through the declaration paperwork for the 2 bears and the geese I was bringing in, and he sent me on my way.

The 4457 for your rifle has been a requirement for quite a while.

When I came back from a hunt in British Colombia, the US Customs agent just asked me if my rifle was listed on it and I said yes. He never did look at it.

Guess I got lucky on that one. At that point in time, I didn't know what a 4457 was....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.