Flying through Paris with rifles?

Missourihunter

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am finalizing arrangements for my safari hunt this September in Limpopo, South Africa. I am considering flying from Atlanta to Paris to Johannesburg. I am planning on bringing two bolt action rifles with me. I am wondering if I am going to have any complications traveling through Paris? I am also wondering about heading out into the city as I am supposed to have a long layover, will trave with personal firearms I have checked all the way through pose an issue?

I am finalizing arrangements for my safari hunt this September in Limpopo, South Africa. I am considering flying from Atlanta to Paris to Johannesburg. I am planning on bringing two bolt action rifles with me. I am wondering if I am going to have any complications traveling through Paris? I am also wondering about heading out into the city as I am supposed to have a long layover, will trave with personal firearms I have checked all the way through pose an issue?
Please do yourself an enormous favor and use a travel agent who specializes in traveling with firearms. I have been to Africa (and a few other places) and would not dream of doing it without the experienced services of Gracy Travel https://www.gracytravel.com/ or @TRAVEL EXPRESS.

Reach out to your travel agent. They know best.

Paris worst airport and service I ever experienced....heaven help you if you ask questions in english...
Follow above advice...

I personally ‘know & agree’ on all fronts w/ previous comments … IvW 100% spot-on! I flew w/ Air France ‘once’ Frankfurt thru Paris to Zimbabwe.

1) I purchased a 2nd bag specifically for my rifle case & emphasize w/ the online purchase: Sporting Equipment, Rifle.

Check-In:

1st: I was told, “I did not declare my rifle for clearance the minimum 72-hrs in advance & my rifle would not be accepted.” I had the printed 2nd bag receipt w/ rifle declaration 30-days in advance! Required manager approval & WHY w/ printed receipt!?
2nd: I was told case was oversize @ extra €275. Again, I had printed the case size & rates from Air France website - case size was correct for rates I paid. Again Manager returns & no one has a tape to validate size & “eyes the case” & proclaims oversize @ extra €275!

Live to Fight Another Day … I submitted a formal complaint once home & Air France admitted ‘staff error’ & sent me a €275 voucher for future travel which I promptly shredded!

I flew through there on my way to Cameroon. I used a travel agent and all went smoothly. Paris is not my favorite airport.

I went through Paris coming back from South Africa in January with two days notice after my Amsterdam flight got cancelled. I was using @TRAVEL EXPRESS, who passed along all needed info to the airlines and then crossed our fingers since it was such short notice. Zero issues.

I flew through Paris on my out going and incoming flight to JNB in June 2021. I had planned the return flight to go through Paris but the out going flight was supposed to go through Amsterdam. I had a travel agent that had registered my rifle with the airline for the way back but I had to scramble in the ATL airport and show them my registration. From ATL to JNB all went smoothly and from JNB to CLT via CDG and ATL all was well. No questions or problems.
I will say that CDG is not that much fun in the COVID times but we were fine.

Two ys ago I traveled Belgrade - Paris - Jobourg with 14h layover time and I also wanted to vist Paris. I done it without any problem with no need to make some kind of announcement to authorities. Just left the airport, had a great time at Paris and came back on time. Like every time I travel with rifle or bow I aks for confirmation if my gun is already at a plane for my next flight. I know that chances of not having rifle at my plain are next to zero but I dont wanna waste day or two in Africa on waiting for a next flight

Traveled through Paris on my way to Namibia this June and didn’t take my rifles because of this routing. I did my own tickets and Delta made a mess of things by canceling the direct flight to Johannesburg. So as others have said if you use a travel agent like the two mentioned they will know the rules and help you accomplish the correct fillings.

I had not used a travel agent in 30 years. Debbie at Gracy Travel saved my butt this trip. Do yourself a favor and use either of the agencies suggested. Traveling during Covid is a mess and not for anyone who is not doing it daily.

Paris worst airport and service I ever experienced....heaven help you if you ask questions in english...
Follow above advice...
Charles de Gaulle? Or Orly? Or both?

Paris is a PITA without a gun, at least Charles de Gaulle. Cannot comment on Orly.

I've flown through CDG a few times with rifles, notably to Cameroon and Benin. Air France required that I declare the guns in advance (my travel agent did it a couple of weeks before the flight), and provide them with the size and weight of the gun case. After that, I checked them on Air Canada in Calgary and I didn't see them again until I arrived at my final destination. I was asked before boarding the flight from CDG to Beniin if I had checked a rifle, I said yes, and they said welcome aboard.

Having said that, on one trip (without a rifle) I received my luggage on my departure from Cameroon (the "Croc" incident!) and on another, I received my ammo on my departure (outfitter luckily had ammo for my rifle). The former was Air Canada's problem; the latter was Air France's. It didn't help that the two airlines were not in the same alliance.

But transmitting with the firearms was simple. And CDG isn't that bad an airport - by most North American standards, it's pretty nice.

I've flown through CDG a few times with rifles, notably to Cameroon and Benin. Air France required that I declare the guns in advance (my travel agent did it a couple of weeks before the flight), and provide them with the size and weight of the gun case. After that, I checked them on Air Canada in Calgary and I didn't see them again until I arrived at my final destination. I was asked before boarding the flight from CDG to Beniin if I had checked a rifle, I said yes, and they said welcome aboard.

Having said that, on one trip (without a rifle) I received my luggage on my departure from Cameroon (the "Croc" incident!) and on another, I received my ammo on my departure (outfitter luckily had ammo for my rifle). The former was Air Canada's problem; the latter was Air France's. It didn't help that the two airlines were not in the same alliance.

But transmitting with the firearms was simple. And CDG isn't that bad an airport - by most North American standards, it's pretty nice.

Maybe not for you where French is an official language, but for me, another story.

Charles de Gaulle? Or Orly? Or both?
CdG is one of the worst airports I have been in though after the last time I have avoided it like a plague, so don't know if it has changed for the better in the last 5 years or so.

Biggest issue I have had was having to go through security all over again when transiting through and switching terminals in international flights and for multiple trips it was always under construction.

If I can't fly direct to an international destination I take Turkish Airlines and do the transiting in Istanbul if practical. Going with Emirates in a week and might try Qatar in the future if needed based on the reviews here.

Maybe not for you where French is an official language, but for me, another story.
I take it you only fly through or to English speaking countries?

Seriously though:

1. French may be an official language in Canada, but that doesn't mean that many people speak it outside of Quebec (although as a native Montrealer I do speak French); and

2. Virtually anyone working in an airport in non-English speaking countries with whom a traveller may come into contact speaks enough English to allow you to get by. France is no exception.

Biggest issue I have had was having to go through security all over again when transiting through and switching terminals in international flights and for multiple trips it was always under construction.

I think this too is a pretty common airport affliction. I've been travelling to New York for more than 35 years (since I married a New Yorker) and I think LGA has been under construction for most of that time. And when it wasn't under construction, it should have been.

As for the multiple security checks, you have the same problem in Frankfurt and LHR, as well as most other large airports in the world. You come off a flight and want to go to a connecting gate - welcome to security. This is virtually always the case where you have to change terminals.

I don't object to security measures as a rule. Security people maybe (ok, almost always), but not measures.

Unfortunately in the virus era, what worked a year ago, a month ago or even yesterday can change overnight or during transit. I'm with the most experienced travelers commenting. Use a travel agent.

I think this too is a pretty common airport affliction. I've been travelling to New York for more than 35 years (since I married a New Yorker) and I think LGA has been under construction for most of that time. And when it wasn't under construction, it should have been.

As for the multiple security checks, you have the same problem in Frankfurt and LHR, as well as most other large airports in the world. You come off a flight and want to go to a connecting gate - welcome to security. This is virtually always the case where you have to change terminals.

I don't object to security measures as a rule. Security people maybe (ok, almost always), but not measures.
Yeah, LGA has been under construction for a long while, hence why I go through JFK when going to NYC to visit my daughter in Manhattan.

Most modern airports do have a tram service to ferry people between terminals without having to go through full security where you lose an hour or more of time or just speedways. I am aware that there is enhanced security at the gate for flights going to the USA, but that is limited to just the passengers of that flight.

Regardless though, in regards to OP, using a travel agent specializing in safari trips takes care of the paperwork headaches. The rest is just the same hassle everyone going through that airport faces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you