Fluted Barrel on Big Bore Rifle

Stan-Elephant Trail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Calling all experts. I am planning to build a rifle in either .458 Lott or 50 B&M and thinking of having the barrel fluted. Kindly tell me pros and cons on this subject please.

Thanks,

Stan

Some points i picked up...
The only real benefit is that it allows you to remove weight out on the front end of a rifle wearing a long, heavy contour barrel for rifle balancing purposes.

The other thing I can think of is faster heat dissipation due to the larger surface area, but target shooting is pretty slow paced so again it seems redundant.

Fluting increases surface area, so a barrel does cool faster. It also reduces weight and maintains the structural strength of a bull-barrel the same diameter as the the outer-diameter of the flutes.

If it is done correctly, it gives you a cooler, stronger barrel for less weight. The flutes must be indexed properly for even spacing, and should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Lilja and Hart both rifle their barrels using the button riflling method. With button rifled barrels, the fluting MUST be done after the barrel is rifled, and removing metal from the barrel exterior causes changes to the bore dimensions. With a cut rifled barrel such as Krieger, Obermeyer, and Mike Rock, the barrel is bored, then the barrel is fluted, and finally the bore is reamed and rifled. So, any changes to the bore thru fluting are irrelevant, since the barrel is reamed and rifled to the proper dimensions AFTER the fluting is done.

Anyway, the article showed the effects of fluted barrels and the amplitude of barrel vibration, and the conclusion was that fluting doesn't help the barrel's accuracy at all. That is, fluting a barrel makes it less stiff. Laws of physics and mechanical engineering formulae describe it quite well. However, for barrels of the same weight, a fluted barrel has less vibration amplitude.

So, if you're going to have a barrel that weighs x lbs, if you flute a heavier (larger diameter barrel) so that it now weighs x lbs, it will be slightly more accurate than an unfluted barrel that weighs x lbs.

The misunderstanding is that you can improve the accuracy of a barrel by fluting it. That just isn't true.

Varmint Al's Fluted Barrel Stiffness Analysis
CONCLUSION ON BARREL FLUTING....

When comparing two barrels of equal weight, length, and material but one is solid and other is fluted, the fluted barrel will have:
o

A larger diameter
o

Greater stiffness (depending on how the extra diameter/weight is distributed)
o

Vibrate at a higher frequency (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)
o

Less muzzle sag (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Fluting a solid barrel will:
o

Reduce its weight
o

Reduce its stiffness
o

Increase its natural frequency of vibration
o

Decrease its muzzle sag.

Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

A shorter barrel of the same section, solid or fluted, will sag less and vibrate at a higher frequency.

More info on barrel dynamics...
Barrel dynamics... FEA Barrel Pressure Analysis on a 6PPC Rifle Barrel

Hi James,

Thank you very much for a very detail information. I do highly appreciated your help.

Stan

James,

After studying your cooment and the article, I think I would be better off with a sport contour.

Thanks again and please have a nice weekend.

Stan

Don't do it...barrel fluting is very overrated. Many barrel makers and gunsmiths have jumped on that bandwagon just because customers think it looks cool and are willing to pay for it. Many top gunsmith will not recommend it. If not done properly it can create stresses in the barrel and reduce accuracy. Also, and think about this, the purpose of fluting was to increase surface area by creating these concave flutes down the barrel in order to dissipate heat. But, by removing barrel steel you're effectively reducing the size of you're barrel's contour and the barrel heats up faster, also reducing accuracy....Good Luck!

Thank you 10bsessedHunter. You have just re-confirmed my decision after reading James's comment and article. i will not do it.

Stan

Interesting stuff on fluted barrels, thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross