Florida State Senate Narrowly Passes Bill To Raise Age Limit For Purchasing Rifles

As asinine as this is: federal law saw 18 yrs old to vote, enlist in the armed services, purchase a rifle or shotgun, beer, wine, etc. . 21 yrs of age to buy a handgun, drink liquoir.

So...now that states are trying to raise the age limit on purchasing/owning a firearm..Does this mean they are raising the legal age limit....imposing on federal age limit as to when a person may enlist into the armed services?

Legally doesn't federal law supersede state laws? in this matter.

Retailers have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reasonable reason...AS LONG AS: it does not refuse such service base on: color, race, religion, age (with exeptions/BATFE), etc.

I can't seem to find a full legislation anywhere but does this law only specify SALE to those under 21. If this is true I should be able to legally drove to Georgia go to the nearest gun store buy anything I want come back and be in lawful possession of all the things I bought expect handguns. I also wanted to see if that was for licensed dealer only because right now an unlicensed dealer can sell to anyone but unless their 18 they can't lawfully possess it. Could my parents buy the gun the "sell" it to me for a dollar and me be in lawful possession of that gun?
I think you are confusing terms here, when you say unlawful dealer I’m certain you are talking about a private face to face sale. BATFE considers anyone selling firearms in order to make a profit a dealer. Someone selling several guns to realize profit is an unlawful dealer without a FFL. I understand what you are getting at but.... according to the law, a long gun can only be sold to a non resident as long as it is legal in that state that the buyer resides in. There is a large misunderstanding of this law, in Texas the law says states that are adjacent to Texas it is legal to sell a rifle to them. So if you were from say AZ you could not legally purchase a rifle in Texas. Wyoming does not have the adjacent clause in their law so as long as you were from a state that does not distinguish where you can buy a gun from you can legally buy it. Even on a face to face purchase you would be technically breaking the law due to private sales may only be conducted in state of residency by residents of said state. This is exactly how it was explained to me by an ATF agent when I had my license.

What no one is talking about, stupidly, is the fact that if you can’t buy a gun then you can’t possess a gun! An 18 year old not only can’t buy a pistol but can’t possess one. Therefore misguided legislation like his effectively bans hunting, unless you are with a 21 year old “adult”, for these 18-20 year olds!
I could have stomached a semiauto ban for 18-20 year olds but nothing more. Bans don’t work we all know this.
If you dig into the statistics 100% of mass shooters are on psychotic drugs. It’s the drugs people!

These idiots are absolute geniuses.First it was beer, then handguns, now long guns. But the same ones want 18 to 20 year olds to vote, don’t trust them with guns

What no one is talking about, stupidly, is the fact that if you can’t buy a gun then you can’t possess a gun! ........ !

I have no clue about the discussed legislation.

An example of the distinction: Children in Canada can acquire and possess a firearm, with supervision of a licensed adult.
Thus, they can hunt.

Children are not allowed to purchase a firearm.

I dont disagree with you at all...

Idiocy doesn’t know age or education levels.. it is everywhere..

That said.. I’m a former cop and a former soldier.. I have been certified by 2 state agencies and a federal agency as well as the NRA to teach firearms...

As a result, I have had the displeasure of meeting a significant number of “trained” people in my life, to include those who have been certified to train others in the use of firearms... that are indeed idiots.. and have no business being around guns (most are good people, professional, etc.. but sadly all are not)

Training won’t stop school shootings or help select who should or shouldn’t own or have access to firearms any more than putting an arbitrary age restriction on them..

An age restriction wouldn’t have stopped the columbine shooters, Jonesboro shooter, sandy hook shooter, the juvenile (or adult) DC sniper shooters, the Fort Hood shooter, the Virginia Tech shooter, Denver theater shooter,or any of the other mass shooting incidents we have had in the US for the past few decades..

The common thread in all of those incidents?

Clear and well documented social and mental health issues...

Some of the above murderers were in fact formally trained in the use of firearms which likely made them more effective killers
Finally..

What no one is talking about, stupidly, is the fact that if you can’t buy a gun then you can’t possess a gun! An 18 year old not only can’t buy a pistol but can’t possess one. Therefore misguided legislation like his effectively bans hunting, unless you are with a 21 year old “adult”, for these 18-20 year olds!
I could have stomached a semiauto ban for 18-20 year olds but nothing more. Bans don’t work we all know this.
If you dig into the statistics 100% of mass shooters are on psychotic drugs. It’s the drugs people!

Phillip, that's only partially correct. Federal law sets the legal age for HANDGUN possession at 18, but there is NO federal law setting a minimum age for LONG GUN possession. There are some individual states that have minimum age requirements for possession, however.

Ok so I can't go to Georgia to get a gun but I still want to be able to hunt could I still have my parents guns in my possession and use it like my own or is that illegal to. I would think this is legal though because as far as I know 18-20 year olds with guns aren't going to have to turn their guns in so this should work.

Found the legislation
 A person younger than 21 years of age may not purchase
679 a firearm. The sale or transfer of a firearm to a person younger
680 than 21 years of age may not be made or facilitated by a
681 licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer
So can I still get one from a private deal with no money exchanged by my parents or others. Later in the legislation it says
“Purchase” means the transfer of money or other
valuable consideration to the retailer.
So I'm assuming this means I can be gifted a firearm or get it through a private deal. I know laws are trickier than they seem but for anyone with a better understanding of it than me your input would be appreciated.

Brickburn, you said that children in Canada can acquire and posses a firearm with adult supervision but children cannot purchase a firearm, a wise rule IMO. The stupidity in the 21 age limit legislation is we in the US seem to be saying 18 year olds are "children" but we let them vote.

It’s MOB rule. He who screams loudest gets the politicians to react. Thus, the contradictory policies being enacted in reaction to the upset.

Even our young member who is being directly impacted by the proposed law was suggesting a compromise so he could at least hunt.
Some more thought by the law makers might be nice.

If this ticks you off don't move to New York State.... the liberals downstate have ruined this beautiful state...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg