Florida State Senate Narrowly Passes Bill To Raise Age Limit For Purchasing Rifles

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
The Florida State Senate passed Senate Bill 7026 on Monday, March 5. Senate Bill 7026 would raise the age to buy any firearm, including hunting rifles and shotguns, from 18 to 21 years old. The bill also requires a three-day waiting period for most gun purchases and bans the sale of ‘bump stocks’. The bill narrowly passed by a 20-18 vote.

The House conducted the second reading of the bill on Tuesday, March 6 and the third and final reading prior to a vote is expected on Wednesday. The Florida legislative session ends on Friday, March 9. If Senate Bill 7026 passes both Chambers, it will be sent to Governor Rick Scott where he must sign or veto legislation within 15 days of transmittal, or it becomes law without his signature.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

so let me get this straight...

an 18 year old kid can join the military.. and be issued a rifle.. issued ammunition.. and we can trust him to make sound decisions with that weapon and ammunition..

but that same kid cant buy a rifle in Florida until his 4 year enlistment is almost complete... because we cant trust him to make sound decisions with that weapon and ammunition..

the 18 year old kid can vote... and participate in making the decision(s) about who will lead and govern this country...

but he cant, as an adult, exercise his 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms.. because we dont think he is old and mature enough to handle that responsibility....

makes perfect sense to me... :rolleyes:

you would think a trained 18 year old with mental health issues would be a far greater threat than an untrained 18 year old with mental health issues..

Im just amazed (and incredibly frustrated) that we cant seem to make up our minds how and when we want to hold people accountable as adults..

We tell an 18 year old they are too young and irresponsible to drink beer...

But then we tell them they need to "rock the vote" and make sure they participate in the election process.. because they are old enough and responsible enough to elect the next President of the United States..

Our politicians tell school aged children its not their fault that they eat tide pods for entertainment, and ask a soap manufacturer to change its product so that its less visually appealing to kids.. and then those same politicians turn around and ask the same kids a couple of weeks later to weigh in on the gun issue.. because we believe they are old enough and mature enough that their voices should be heard on the matter..

A 16 year old can own a vehicle and be licensed to operate it (a tool that has been increasingly used as an intentional offensive weapon).. but now Florida wants to make sure a 20 year old "adult" cant purchase a 12 gauge pump action shotgun.. because he cant be trusted with that sort of responsibility..

But this same bill that will prohibit a 20 year old from purchasing a firearm, will also allow school officials (who may be as young as 22) to bring their legally purchased firearms into a school and use them for the purpose of self defense while surrounded by hundreds, if not thousands of teenagers?

Ridiculous honestly..

What a joke, and 18 year old can serve his country and die for his country, but can't buy a weapon in his home state until 21!!:mad:

Of course this has to happen to me. So now I can't legally hunt in this damn state when I'm in college unless I use bow or I drive 3 hours back to my parents house. Do they really expect me to go out with a bow and kill ducks (possible but impractical and surprisingly legal). This is the first time I've ever been pissed at the government and emailed my governor.

Well, a man in Oregon has sued Walmart and Dicks over their corporate policy not to sell firearms to anyone under 21, he is 20. I would assume and hope this is the first of many suits to come.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/the-latest-oregon-labor-chief-weighs-in-on-retail-gun-rule

The Latest: Oregon labor chief weighs in on retail gun rule

The Latest on age discrimination lawsuits filed in Oregon over Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart's new gun policies (all times local):

3:15 p.m.

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries says it will accept complaints from those who believe they have been discriminated against by new policies at Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart that restrict gun sales to people 21 and older.

Commissioner Brad Avakian said in a letter to Oregon House and Senate leaders Tuesday that state law only provides for age-related exemptions for alcohol and marijuana sales.

A 20-year-old Oregon man has sued the retailers, alleging they discriminated against him by refusing to sell him a rifle due to his age.

Avakian says his agency believes changing state law to add an age exemption for gun purchases would be "appropriate" to make public places safer.

The bureau will present a bill to lawmakers in the 2019 legislative session.

8:45 p.m. Monday

An Oregon man has filed a lawsuit claiming Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart discriminated against him when they refused to sell the 20-year-old a rifle.

Dick's and Walmart restricted gun sales to adults 21 and older in the wake of the Feb. 14 Florida high school massacre. The 19-year-old accused in the school slaying bought the AR-15 used in the attack legally.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

The Oregonian/OregonLive reports Tyler Watson's lawsuit filed Monday claims he faced age discrimination from Dick's and Walmart. The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed over the new gun policies.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove says the retailer will defend its new policy. A representative from Dick's hasn't responded to a request for comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I am not arguing for this legislation.

you would think a trained 18 year old with mental health issues would be a far greater threat than an untrained 18 year old with mental health issues.. .............

(I'll skip the false dichotomy arguments.)

I personally don't want anyone with significant untreated mental health problems operating/handling/acquiring, etc firearms.
Don't care what age or education.

I would rather be around someone with firearms training than someone who is not trained. An idiot with a gun is dangerous.
I don't like seeing the muzzle of a firearm at any point in time.

Of course this has to happen to me. So now I can't legally hunt in this damn state when I'm in college unless I use bow or I drive 3 hours back to my parents house. Do they really expect me to go out with a bow and kill ducks (possible but impractical and surprisingly legal). This is the first time I've ever been pissed at the government and emailed my governor.

I'd read the entire legislation before I chucked it in on the hunting end.

Glad you registered your discontent with the elected officials.

By the way, I am not arguing for this legislation.

(I'll skip the false dichotomy arguments.)

I personally don't want anyone with significant untreated mental health problems operating/handling/acquiring, etc firearms.
Don't care what age or education.

I would rather be around someone with firearms training than someone who is not trained. An idiot with a gun is dangerous.
I don't like seeing the muzzle of a firearm at any point in time.

I dont disagree with you at all...

Idiocy doesn’t know age or education levels.. it is everywhere..

That said.. I’m a former cop and a former soldier.. I have been certified by 2 state agencies and a federal agency as well as the NRA to teach firearms...

As a result, I have had the displeasure of meeting a significant number of “trained” people in my life, to include those who have been certified to train others in the use of firearms... that are indeed idiots.. and have no business being around guns (most are good people, professional, etc.. but sadly all are not)

Training won’t stop school shootings or help select who should or shouldn’t own or have access to firearms any more than putting an arbitrary age restriction on them..

An age restriction wouldn’t have stopped the columbine shooters, Jonesboro shooter, sandy hook shooter, the juvenile (or adult) DC sniper shooters, the Fort Hood shooter, the Virginia Tech shooter, Denver theater shooter,or any of the other mass shooting incidents we have had in the US for the past few decades..

The common thread in all of those incidents?

Clear and well documented social and mental health issues...

Some of the above murderers were in fact formally trained in the use of firearms which likely made them more effective killers

Last edited:
Clear and well documented mental health issues.......

If that’s the theme then there is a solution to be found somewhere.

I think we are likely in agreement here and don’t realize it

I don’t think you’ll ever stop 100% of mass murders..

Mass murder has been around since long before the Chinese gave us gunpowder..

Cain killed Abel with a rock...

But I do think you can contain a good bit of it by focusing on the cause...

As opposed to focusing on the tool

More laws are not the answer. There is plenty of blame to go around on this one.

Asked my governor if they had to ban something ban semi auto weapons over .22LR for 18 year olds but at least let them have long rifles and shotguns. Really hope he vetoes this or another governors elected that repeals this. The scariest part for me is he doesn't even care about the age limit but is more concerned about a measly 3 day wait period to get a gun but if it gets him to veto it I'm all for it.

Hopefully the house will be better than the senate or Governor vetos the bill

Get used to it! If this is the first time you have been pissed at the government, you need to pay better attention better and you will be pissed much more often at the idiocy of the elected. I commend you on writing your governor, now write all the rest of the legislation for your state, call them repeatedly and have your hunting friends do the same. Not only did they take your duck hunting away, they took away your right of self defense. But they will probably pass a law that will make it illegal to assault anyone until they are 21.

Asked my governor if they had to ban something ban semi auto weapons over .22LR for 18 year olds but at least let them have long rifles and shotguns. Really hope he vetoes this or another governors elected that repeals this. The scariest part for me is he doesn't even care about the age limit but is more concerned about a measly 3 day wait period to get a gun but if it gets him to veto it I'm all for it.

Banning semiautos would include many shotguns. As has been pointed out, it ain't the gun it's the sick mentality.

I can't seem to find a full legislation anywhere but does this law only specify SALE to those under 21. If this is true I should be able to legally drove to Georgia go to the nearest gun store buy anything I want come back and be in lawful possession of all the things I bought expect handguns. I also wanted to see if that was for licensed dealer only because right now an unlicensed dealer can sell to anyone but unless their 18 they can't lawfully possess it. Could my parents buy the gun the "sell" it to me for a dollar and me be in lawful possession of that gun?

Any lawyers out there, respond to this if you think I am wrong on this post. When states or the Federal Government set age limits related to a particular act, that age limit is the minimum. If private business wants to set a higher limit on that act, they can do so, as long as it is imposed on everyone. Even if they are a gun dealer, they are not "required" by law to sell you a gun, regardless of your age. To take this line of reasoning to its end, they're not "required by law" to sell certain types of guns or any guns at all.

Not sure I understand any of this
Ancient history I was in Vietnam as an 18 year old and two tours later I wasn’t old enough to drink beer in my home state. I live in Florida now and no one asked for my opinion. Let’s hope the veto happens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg