Flintlock in the Eastern Cape?

Petey J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Life Member NRA, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
As you can see in my profile picture, I shoot traditional black powder. I was reading through the safari planning guide and it noted black powder firearms are legal in at least certain provinces.

So here's the questions:
Has anybody ever done a flintlock plains game hunt?

Is black powder hunting legal in the Eastern Cape?

Can Schutzen powder be obtained in SA? I load and prime with FFFg.

@Gert Odendaal is who you need to speak to. He has a wealth of knowledge on traditional black power hunts in South Africa

Great question, Petey. A flintlock is a marvelous little mechanical fire-starter, and I think many would be surprised by how well they can work. and I mean Can. I would love to take mine to Africa. I also both prime and charge with 3F as carrying two different powders make no sense to me. Have heard that black can be obtained in RSA with prior notification to your PH, but I haven't tried to arrange it. While BP substitutes do fine for charging, I have not found one that ignites easily in the pan. I will follow your thread closely, as would love to learn more. Best of luck in your quest...........FWB

Petey
Sounds like a neat idea.
Philip

It is always great fun to read Gert's posts on his "1884 era hunt"....but i haven't read of anyone using a flintlock during them. 1884 was well past even the caplock era and into the cartridge guns. In fact, I have sold/contributed two Turk 1871/84 cartridge rifles to this hunt. The first book that I have read of anyone using a caplock in Africa was Harris' excellent book of 1836. While many flints were used after this date, it was about the dividing time line for the wealthy Brits. Americans used the flint well after 1845 as one could get caps wet, but could always find a rock for ignition......perhaps a member will tell us of a flintlock safari, would love to hear it.............FWB

A flintlock would be a great way to tackle plains game. I used a custom SML my first hunt so I didn't go back that far in firearm technology but it's definitely doable. Contact Kobus De Villiers at Jakkalskul Safaris. He's a guru when it comes to black powder hunting. IIRC, he still holds the 1000 yard record for an original black powder cartridge. He's located in the Northern Cape north of Petrusville.

Check this article in the MuzzleBlast magazine, August 2020, page 10.

Don Kettelkamp, Muzzle-Loading Hunter, Emeritus, by Bob Woodfill

Hunting Africa's Big Five With a Muzzle-Loading Rifle.

The article tells of his getting to Africa with his various BP rifles and his hunts.

Go to: nmlra.org

National Muzzle Loading Association

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross