Flights, tests etc. and what the current situation regarding hunting in South Africa is

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
For those members sitting on the fence regarding booking a safari to South Africa, here is the current situation that might have you worried before making the commitment. We are currently in exactly the same situation where we were 1 month ago, barring the turnaround times on the test before your return flight.

Fights: ( As of 7 December 2021)
The airlines currently flying between South Africa and the USA is Delta, United Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines.

Tests:
Recently the USA changed to a 1 day test turn around requirement. This is not an issue at all since Rapid Antigen Tests are now accepted. Waiting time for results are around 5-10 minutes and cost around 30% of the PCR tests. This can even be done on the way to the airport on departure day.

On top of this, I still recommend taking out travel insurance during these uncertain times. It is still the wise thing to do.

All the best,
Marius Goosen

I hunted with Marius back in July when things were pretty hot in SA, the logistics were little to no issue at all. We had to get tests before we left, so that took a half day, I hunted that morning and we were still back in time to do a quick trip out in the evening. Other than the test, there was no difference at all for me from my other trips. I would go back tomorrow if I could, no way I would let COVID stop a hunt.

If they had allowed the rapid tests, I would have just done one at the airport. They were turning the PCR tests around very fast at JHB then, many people on my flight got their tests during their layover.

I sure hope there is no fence sitting going on here. That hurts to much just jump it or drive through it for god sakes.
Really with as fluid as things are it’s hard to predict so make plans book your trip and worst case may have to change some dates.

Thank for the current info my friend. Looking forward to our adventure.

Marius you are missing some airlines. I know Emirates, Qatar, and British Airways are currently flying to JNB and there may be others. Clients looking to hunt next summer need not worry about the current hubbub as it will all pass by then.
I took a group on Safari in late July and although Delta cancelled our flights and we had to go on Qatar, we had no concerns at all with logistics. We’re we annoyed by the masking and testing? Yes, but that would not keep us from going on Safari!
When making a booking everyone should remember that only Qatar and Ethopian flew the Entire time.
thanks for this post!
Philip

Marius you are missing some airlines. I know Emirates, Qatar, and British Airways are currently flying to JNB and there may be others. Clients looking to hunt next summer need not worry about the current hubbub as it will all pass by then.
I took a group on Safari in late July and although Delta cancelled our flights and we had to go on Qatar, we had no concerns at all with logistics. We’re we annoyed by the masking and testing? Yes, but that would not keep us from going on Safari!
When making a booking everyone should remember that only Qatar and Ethopian flew the Entire time.
thanks for this post!
Philip

Phillip, as of right now per Qatar web site it is inbound only flights. No outbound with passengers allowed to land in Doha coming from Africa. My flights I have booked for May 2022 still show inbound to JNB as good but outbound back to Doha and Houston is on hold.
Will be hoping this all changes soon.

Book the hunt and go! You are not guaranteed tomorrow, next week, next year, or a safer environment.

thanks for this post!
Philip
Thanks Phillip. I'm just checking on Qatar. We are still booked with them for Dallas and suppose to fly out on December 28th. I still have a feeling that travel to the USA will open up before the end of the year, so will give it until around the 24th or so before cancelling everything.
We were informed that they were not flying from South Africa currently.

Thanks Phillip. I'm just checking on Qatar. We are still booked with them for Dallas and suppose to fly out on December 28th. I still have a feeling that travel to the USA will open up before the end of the year, so will give it until around the 24th or so before cancelling everything.
We were informed that they were not flying from South Africa currently.
Incorrect sir. They are flying right now to JNB. However folks on your side are not allowed to fly Qatar right now.
I agree that everyone should keep their plans for the shows. If we get to your departure date and the ban is still in place then look at refunds/credits for the flights.
Philip

Phillip, as of right now per Qatar web site it is inbound only flights. No outbound with passengers allowed to land in Doha coming from Africa. My flights I have booked for May 2022 still show inbound to JNB as good but outbound back to Doha and Houston is on hold.
Will be hoping this all changes soon.
Mark,
I am not sure where y’all are getting this info. Please advise.
Qatar clearly states they have only banned residents of the southern African countries for departure from Africa. Inbound flights are available for anyone as well as outbound for nonresidents. I can buy a round trip ticket right now for next week or the following week on their website.
regards,
Philip

Incorrect sir. They are flying right now to JNB. However folks on your side are not allowed to fly Qatar right now.
I agree that everyone should keep their plans for the shows. If we get to your departure date and the ban is still in place then look at refunds/credits for the flights.
Philip

Mark,
Qatar clearly states they have only banned residents of the southern African countries for departure from Africa. Inbound flights are available for anyone as well as outbound for nonresidents. I can buy a round trip ticket right now for next week or the following week on their website.
regards,
Philip

Phillip, here is a screenshot from my tickets from Qatar. They seem to be flying into South Africa, yes, but not taking anyone out of South Africa, and I don't think that they are referring to RSA citizens but passengers.

Untitled2.png

Mark,
regards,
Philip

Phillip
What Qatar web has and is same that shows on my flight planner. My understanding from them it is all passengers.
IMG_3103.png

Just another quick bit of info for anyone wanting to fly Qatar. I may have overlooked this in prior posts so forgive me if it was already discussed. Earlier in the year when we flew Qatar, they required a PCR test. Even though the US allowed for the rapid tests then, we still had to get a PCR test to be allowed on the Qatar flights since the flights were connecting through Qatar.

Just another quick bit of info for anyone wanting to fly Qatar. I may have overlooked this in prior posts so forgive me if it was already discussed. Earlier in the year when we flew Qatar, they required a PCR test. Even though the US allowed for the rapid tests then, we still had to get a PCR test to be allowed on the Qatar flights since the flights were connecting through Qatar.

Mike, I think this changed. I had hunters after you that flew out on Qatar on a Rapid Test. They flew together, but one hunter flew Doha/USA and the other flew Doha/Germany.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!