Flights booked for our first trip to Africa

Your wait will soon be over. However you can help speed it up by spending several more days at the range shooting off sticks. Then you can post your range results etc. etc. What ammo will you guys be using? "Good bullets" is a vague answer. A very reputable PH suggested that my son use 200 Gr Swift A Frames in his 300 Win. Mag for our hunt in July.

That's the plan for the weekend. Heading to the farm to burn some powder. We are shooting 165 grain Barnes ttsx.

Yellow card just shows all your shots are up to date such as tetanus, etc. your Dr should be able to get you what the CDC recommends for the area. You may not need any where you are going, but I’d check.

yellowcard.jpg

RSA requires yellow fever if coming from certain countries. For my first trip there, my flight was stopping in Senegal, one of those countries and I got the yellow fever shot just in case we had to deplane. Probably anal but wasn't taking any chances.
Good idea to have the yellow card with a record of all your updated shots.

Here’s the info from the checklist site here on AH https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-safari-preparation-timeline.14375/
Six months prior - consult with your doctor
Some countries require certain inoculations and proof that they have been completed, you may need a document formerly known as an International Health Certificate or Yellow Card / Carte Jaune which has been renamed the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis. For more information click here.

It is important to go to your doctor several months prior to your trip as some vaccinations take a few months for the series to be completed or several weeks before immunity is developed. It is important to know that a typical doctor's office will not have some travel vaccinations in stock, your doctor may need to order them or he may send you to a county health department where you can receive them. To find out what vaccinations are required as well as those that are recommended, it is best to refer to either the World Health Organisation (WHO) or the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It is a good idea to make a copy of the vaccination recommendations from the WHO and/or CDC and bring it along with you to your doctor's visit, or you may even wish to let them know what vaccination(s) you will require prior to your appointment so that they may order it and have it available for you at the time of your visit.
If you will be visiting an area where malaria is present you should discuss this with your doctor as well as any other health concerns that you or your doctor may have. It is important to know that most anti malaria medication needs to be commenced a few weeks prior to entering a malaria area for full protection, your doctor will let you know the requirements of the drug you should take, as the various antimalarial drugs work differently. To read more click here.
For an online resource with credible and up to date health information where there is a section dedicated to Traveler's Health and you can find information for specific destinations, vaccinations, diseases, prevention, tips and much more... www.cdc.gov. Another good resource for traveler's health issues which is quite easy to navigate www.mdtravelhealth.com.

tip You may also want to consider having your doctor give you a prescription for antibiotics that you can take with you in case you get sick during your safari.

tip You may wish to talk to your doctor about the possible benefits of a gamma globulin booster, especially if you are a bit older or prone to getting sick easily. It's an injection that can temporarily boost you immune system and help to your body better fight off possible disease including viruses such as hepatitis.

Have a safe and Successful Hunt

Best of luck!

Two hints. Yellow fever shots are good to have, even if destination does not require them. If your flight gets redirected to adjoining country where there is yellow fever, you then don't have to worry about getting turned away at your destination. Second, if you are taking malaria prophylaxis medicine and you contract malaria, do not make the mistake of trying to treat it by taking more. The hallucinations can be quite stressful, and prophylaxis does not cure malaria. I have known a handful of people who contracted malaria even though they were on the medicine. Just like shingles vaccine!
I am not a medical doctor, just speaking from experience.

Hard to believe your trip is just around the corner

And don't worry, you'll be repackaging a bunch in the next 30 days. :D

My hunting trips will be on the back burner for the next few years. Last month I bought some land by Otterville.

Hard to believe your trip is just around the corner

And don't worry, you'll be repackaging a bunch in the next 30 days. :D

My hunting trips will be on the back burner for the next few years. Last month I bought some land by Otterville.

yep...that process has already begun.

Congrats on the land purchase!

Sitting in Atlanta waiting to board flight 200 to Johanesburg. Thanks AH for all the stories, advice getting to this point. Can't wait for this amazing adventure to begin. Stay tuned. Hunt report coming when we get back.

Good luck, shoot straight and listen to your PH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg