Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
P&y, nwtf
i am flying from atl to Johannesburg. I am flying direct on delta flight 200. I chose to do delta comfort seat 29a. For those that have done this flight was this a good choice. Any tips on making the long flight.

Also does anyone have a recvomendation on hotelsvto stay at in South Africa near the airport or better yet at the airport

Very good choice on the "upgrade" its well worth the extra room for the money. I have sat in the economy comfort before on this flight and its worth the extra money.

Also does anyone have a recvomendation on hotelsvto stay at in South Africa near the airport or better yet at the airport

PM sent.... Africa Sky and Afton Safari Lodge are both solid, hunter-friendly options for overnighting in Jo'burg.

Reactions: BWH
Fire652
Sit back and enjoy the ride... The travel part forms a huge part of the safari.
Enjoy your travels.

Reactions: BWH
Intercontinental is also a good choice right across street from terminal. Also IHG owned (Holiday Inn) can use points to book room. Very nice with excellent restaurant

Couple of good choices.... the guest house aforementioned. And a couple nice hotels practically connected to JNB. One owned by marriott, but under different name.

Monitor that seat selection, probability is that you will be bumped to a less desirable seat by a high mileage passenger, you will be told the computer did the reassignment and they have no control over the reassignment. That is nothing more than a go away BS answer.

Great Seat for a window seat, but you are over the wing. I would have chosen 29 C or G if I was travelling alone.

You have several choices at JNB. You have some Guest Houses, like Africa Sky, I have stayed there, its nice, lots of hunters stay there, but the bar is outside and it can get cold at night. I would not stay off airport again. At the Airport itself, you have three choices: IF you are a transit passenger and will NOT leave the secure area of the airport you can stay at the Protea Transit Hotel. IF you are passing thru Immigration then City Lodge and Intercontinental. I have stayed at the Intercontinental. It's the nicest and priciest choice.

PM sent.... Africa Sky and Afton Safari Lodge are both solid, hunter-friendly options for overnighting in Jo'burg.
Afton has been sold and screwed up really bad on my meet and greet, as in didn't show up. They had my permit and I phoned when I got to the Police Station, it took over an hour for them to show up

29A is a great seat..... I have heard of people getting bumped. I am curious..... Is there any value in booking through an agent that can somehow "guarantee" that will not happen, based on their clout with the airline? Maybe need a professional to weigh in here..... Honest answers, please.

Afton has been sold and screwed up really bad on my meet and greet, as in didn't show up. They had my permit and I phoned when I got to the Police Station, it took over an hour for them to show up

@Spooksar

I am aware that the Afton was recently sold. I actually know the new owner quite well and I will definitely address the incident with him. We have sent hundreds of clients through the Afton over the years without a single complaint.... The new owner has plans to renovate and improve the line of guest services offered....Obviously, not showing up at the airport for a meet & greet is a screw up. I would be interested to know if they offered an excuse for what happened, or what gestures if any, were made to make up for the error? Anyone can make a mistake..... The true character of the outfit or business is how the mistake is handled afterward.... I will get a response from Richard and post it here.

I booked row 29 in January and got bumped. I'm leaving in August. I wouldn't plan on being on row 29.

29A is a window seat and you should be fine. Have fun sir!

Great Seat for a window seat, but you are over the wing. I would have chosen 29 C or G if I was travelling alone.

You have several choices at JNB. You have some Guest Houses, like Africa Sky, I have stayed there, its nice, lots of hunters stay there, but the bar is outside and it can get cold at night. I would not stay off airport again. At the Airport itself, you have three choices: IF you are a transit passenger and will NOT leave the secure area of the airport you can stay at the Protea Transit Hotel. IF you are passing thru Immigration then City Lodge and Intercontinental. I have stayed at the Intercontinental. It's the nicest and priciest choice.
if you stay at protea do you still have to have gun permits if traveling through south africa to zim?

@Spooksar

I am aware that the Afton was recently sold. I actually know the new owner quite well and I will definitely address the incident with him. We have sent hundreds of clients through the Afton over the years without a single complaint.... The new owner has plans to renovate and improve the line of guest services offered....Obviously, not showing up at the airport for a meet & greet is a screw up. I would be interested to know if they offered an excuse for what happened, or what gestures if any, were made to make up for the error? Anyone can make a mistake..... The true character of the outfit or business is how the mistake is handled afterward.... I will get a response from Richard and post it here.

I talked to them about it when I stayed there on July first. They working at fixing it

Yes, any of the upgrade seats are worth it- bulkhead, exit or galley. But the offset seating row that is also an upgrade and is in-line with traffic in aisle is not the best as you get constantly bumped into by attendants and passengers- irritating if trying to sleep during the 16 hour confinement in a sardine can with wings :) I've done 20+ Intl flights the last 6 years and have never been bumped once the upgrade seat was paid for- knock on wood. Hope you keep your seat. Another vote for City Lodge in OR Tambo- very nice (excellent breakfast for normally timed morning SA Air connecting flights) and takes all the stress out of overnighting in Joburg.

if you stay at protea do you still have to have gun permits if traveling through south africa to zim?

I don't know the answer to that question.

However, if you are flying to Zimbabwe and flying thru Europe, Protea is out for you, because you can't check your gun all the way thru.

If you flew Emirates, you can fly directly to Zim and skip JNB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross