Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
So, as usual I'm sat dreaming of future hunts and how my animals will be mounted to fit in my trophy room. I came up with the following idea and think it is very unique and not something I have ever seen before.

So my chosen animal would be a Zebra, but you may choose your own. Now picture that animal standing perfectly broad side, head up, facing straight ahead. Something like this..

Zebra rug idea.jpg

Now try and imagine that you are now seeing it in 2D... (squinting your eyes slightly may help)

You would have the animal skinned so that you could hang it on the wall and it would look like a side on 2D picture of the animal. I guess you could even have half a face done by the taxidermist to really bring it into full effect.

I think this is how I will have a zebra done when I get round to shooting one.

What are your thoughts? I think it would really add something unusual to a trophy room.

Can be done, but in my view it would fall far short of what your thinking it will look like finished.
A lot more to it than just hanging the skin and making it look visually appealing and realistic even with a 1/2 face.
Your visually looking at the curve of the body in a 2d pic but when your using a 3d skin to make it happen the idea falls apart in my experience. It's not like your painting a picture and can use depth perception to attain the look. The skin has a set size and marking that you can't change perception wise. It would be neat but would take some alterations and tailoring of the skin to pull it off.

Hey Dennis,

Could UK's idea be done if you did a 1-sided mount? In other words, I suppose you would use a full bodied manikin and cut it lengthwise down the body giving you a broadside view. It would kind of be the same concept as mounting a fish with the pretty side facing out, and an unfinished side toward the wall...You would probably only need 1/3 to 1/2 of the original thickness of the manikin.

Just a thought if you ever had the request to do it... At least it would give the mount depth and dimension... It would be original if nothing else...

Much better idea that way and that 1/2 or 1/3 cut out type wall mount would work better with the skin and the body curvature.
The result would be a lot more eye pleasing

You would probably only need 1/3 to 1/2 of the original thickness of the manikin.
Hey it looks like the OP needs the left side, if I take the right, that leaves you with the middle... LOL

Seriously that is a great idea but it sure will eat up wall space. Another idea I've heard of is to hang a shoulder mount and then paint the body onto the wall. Takes an artist to get the depth right and also eats up wall space. I thought that was a great idea for a giraffe or elephant! Of course that takes a barn wall!

Last edited:
My idea is coming to light, thank for the input all.

I think a 3rd of the body would work well.

On here somewhere I believe there is a zebra mount on a door. Basically, it is 2D but the head is 3D. Very cool. Would you do some sort of a 3/4 pose or a similar flow from 2D to 3D but full body?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you