Flashlight advice

I’m sure the Surefire Stiletto Pro is a great flashlight, but for $233 it better do more than light up the night. I manage construction for a living and a good flashlight is part of my EDC and used every day. My flashlight of choice is a Nitecore MH12S, it is USB C rechargeable, has a 1 to 1800 lumen output, a tail mounted on/off switch and a body mounted “mode” button. It has a 45min to 1500hr battery life depending on the output level and it only cost $90 on Amazon. As with all high output LED flashlights the body of the light does get a little warm with extended use at high output but that’s not a bad thing, when your hands are too cold to operate a lighter or strike a ferro rod these flashlights make a great emergency hand warmer.

Fenix E12 v2.0 EDC Flashlight, 160 Lumen with 1x AA Battery and LumenTac Battery Organizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HDL6NWF/

I've used Fenix and Quark ( sp) LEDs for years. Still have all and use them. The Quark has a two lumen moon-beam mode, but that's N/A here.

About 3 years ago I went with the newer model Fenix for EDC since it's much smaller - just barely longer than the AA battery that runs it.

Plus the clip works two ways without reversing anything. Blub down for normal pocket carry. Or blub forward for attaching to the bill of a cap (never used, but handy to have)

I bought a second one and took both to Africa last year. One for nightstand and one for pocket. Both saw use and both will go again next year.

I also had a head mounted light in my backpack, but never used it.

IMO, whatever you take, be sure it's always on your person and not back in the bakie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure the Surefire Stiletto Pro is a great flashlight, but for $233 it better do more than light up the night. I manage construction for a living and a good flashlight is part of my EDC and used every day. My flashlight of choice is a Nitecore MH12S, it is USB C rechargeable, has a 1 to 1800 lumen output, a tail mounted on/off switch and a body mounted “mode” button. It has a 45min to 1500hr battery life depending on the output level and it only cost $90 on Amazon. As with all high output LED flashlights the body of the light does get a little warm with extended use at high output but that’s not a bad thing, when your hands are too cold to operate a lighter or strike a ferro rod these flashlights make a great emergency hand warmer.
338€ here in Europe...

I have been using Convoy flashlights for several years. Tremendous buy, given many away to friends. They have a store on AliExpress. Great Quality

I know this is an old thread but I have an update on this topic.

I still love the vintage Surefire flashlights, some of them now worth rather obscene money. They were that good. However, times have changed and the days of lugging around CR123 batteries are a thing of the past.

Today, the best flashlight out there for a hunter is the Surefire Stiletto Pro. No cheap date at $233, it has tremendous battery life and is USB rechargeable which you can do in the bush, in the cruiser, or ahead of time.

@AgustinDowns regarding batteries on planes. Yes, you can bring batteries, but they MUST be in your carry-on item as they are worried about battery fires in the cargo hold. This is yet another reason all my rangefinders, binos, illuminated optics, flashlights, and iphones are in my carry-on duffle when going for a hunt.

The E2D is still in my pack. I bought the same light again and sent it with another hunter to my Ph last year. Very positive feedback, so two more of the same are going to Namibia.

Now, I am really curious to try this new one. The next 3 months of archery and other hunting will see a fair amount of flashlight use. I much prefer headlamps for walking, but a hand torch for blood trailing is really helpful.

A foster dog chewed up my favorite black Diamond headlamp, so I just replaced it with some Petzl headlamps. I’ll report back. I run for exercise after work all winter, so a headlamp is a must.

I know its not the point of this thread, but I thought it is related and I'd toss this out there. In addition to a good flashlight, and for some a headlamp, I really like to bring a lantern. Its' been with me on more than a dozen safaris.

When its handy: Power goes out a lot in the rooms. There is no light in the showers. If at a fly camp you can't see what you're eating at dinner. If working on cleaning a gun or making repairs, it gives you extra light.

These Black Diamond mini-lanterns run about fifty bucks. They take 4-6AA batteries so I just fill them with disposable lithium ever-ready batteries before every trip. Alternatively, you can get rechargeables too.

For an OUTSTANDING light at a reasonable price.. take a look at OLight... In terms of ruggedness and capability, I'd put them on par with surefire (I own several surefire, streamlight, etc and have used them extensively for the better part of the last 25+ years).. Olight is a fraction of the price.. I now have Olights on all of my dedicated "defense" weapons (pistols and rifles).. and have a handful of hand helds that I keep in my packs, glove box, etc and or EDC type purposes..

Tom at 2A Holster is an Olight dealer.. he's a great guy, offers a very fair price.. and if you're in need of a pistol holster, he makes several excellent options of those as well..

I know its not the point of this thread, but I thought it is related and I'd toss this out there. In addition to a good flashlight, and for some a headlamp, I really like to bring a lantern. Its' been with me on more than a dozen safaris.

When its handy: Power goes out a lot in the rooms. There is no light in the showers. If at a fly camp you can't see what you're eating at dinner. If working on cleaning a gun or making repairs, it gives you extra light.

These Black Diamond mini-lanterns run about fifty bucks. They take 4-6AA batteries so I just fill them with disposable lithium ever-ready batteries before every trip. Alternatively, you can get rechargeables too.

That looks like a good piece of kit. I never thought about lighting my room during a power outage but its a dame good idea.

Astrolux FT03 with SFT40 Led 2400 lumens over 400.000cd and 1300m distance, highly recomend it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!