Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I recently ordered a Boyd classic laminate stock for my Howa .375 Ruger. I grew tired of that rubbery Hogue stock. Would it be as easy as unscrewing the old stock and replacing it with the Boyd? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

I recently ordered a Boyd classic laminate stock for my Howa .375 Ruger. I grew tired of that rubbery Hogue stock. Would it be as easy as unscrewing the old stock and replacing it with the Boyd? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

It depends. Some will drop right in others will require fitting, read woodwork. I always pillar bed which requires much more work.

The boyds I have put on 2 different Ruger American's required some very minor fitting (nothing that couldnt be done in less than 5 minutes with a very light touch and a dremel tool.

The boyds stocks I have put on a mauser 98 and a winchester 70 have dropped right in with zero fitting required. They both fit like a glove straight from the factory.

I've installed Boyds stocks on a few of my projects, they are close to 100% drop in but some will need a little massage from a Moto Dremel.

My experience was a little different with Boyd's. I have a Brno ZKK600 in a Boyd's Prairie Hunter style laminated wood stock that really was not fitted well at all. The floor plate & magazine sticks out a couple of millimetres with no wood around it. And at the same time, the barrel is too high in the barrel channel. No fixing that, so I may be looking for a new stock.

Have used Boyd stocks on 2 Remington 700.... Absolute,perfect drop in with floor plates in alignments and flush to surface. But Boyds has perfected the 700 stock since they provide different models to Remington as OEM.

Most are a drop in fit. However doing a pillar bedding job and also bedding the action is also decent insurance for better accuracy and to strengthen the stock. My wifes Ruger Hawkeye in 338 RCM cracked straight back from the tang so when I repaired it I also added a recoil cross bolt. Those three addditions will really help recoil proof the stock. I did all three on her savage in 375 ruger and it is a much better feel than the rubber/plastic factorystocks. I have fitted mauser, ruger and remington stocks to boyds stocks with very good success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois