Fishing South Africa in July and August

Backcountryj.laf

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’ve been doing a lot of research on planning a hunting trip in July or August of 2022. I’m a fishing nut and would like to get some fishing in as well. I understand that this is not the ideal time for fishing deep sea fish but is it possible? Where should I go? Can anyone suggest outfitters? I would love to catch even one or two billfish or tuna.

What about fishing for tigers or other species of fish during that time of year?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Backcountryj.laf

Check out my report from a couple of years back.. If this is something you are interested in doing, get in touch with me. The outfitter offering these trips is a good friend of ours. I can put you in touch with him directly.

I’ve been doing. A lot of research on planning a hunting trip in July or August of 2022. I’m a fishing nut and would like to get some fishing in as well. I understand that this is not the ideal time for fishing deep sea fish but is it possible? Where should I go? Can anyone suggest outfitters? I would love to catch even one or two billfish or tuna.

What about fishing for tigers or other species of fish during that time of year?

It is a large continent. Where is your hunt taking place?

I’ve been doing. A lot of research on planning a hunting trip in July or August of 2022. I’m a fishing nut and would like to get some fishing in as well. I understand that this is not the ideal time for fishing deep sea fish but is it possible? Where should I go? Can anyone suggest outfitters? I would love to catch even one or two billfish or tuna.

We offer offshore fishing trips with our safaris and its relavtively easy to organize.
You are welcome to drop me a PM and I will be happy pass along some ideas.

Marlin season in SA is Oct-May best Dec- April, sailfis are more extended Sept-June. So you have chosen the 2 worse months for bill fishing.

Where are you planning to hunt?

Still trying to figure out where I’m planning to hunt. I’m willing to travel for the fishing since it will also add up to some time on the beach.

I understand this isn’t ideal time for billfish but I’m trying to figure out what’s possible. Tuna? Bottom fish? If we get good weather is going way offshore an option?

Still trying to figure out where I’m planning to hunt. I’m willing to travel for the fishing since it will also add up to some time on the beach.

I understand this isn’t ideal time for billfish but I’m trying to figure out what’s possible. Tuna? Bottom fish? If we get good weather is going way offshore an option?

We can offer both options on bottom fishing, as well as big game fishing. These are two different fishing packages offered by our charter service. Why not do one day bottom fishing and another day targeting big game fish? This will allow you some quality time on the water. Sure, timing is not great, but a bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

We can offer both options on bottom fishing, as well as big game fishing. These are two different fishing packages offered by our charter service. Why not do one day bottom fishing and another day targeting big game fish? This will allow you some quality time on the water. Sure, timing is not great, but a bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

I’m trying to figure out where in the country I want to be and what kind of fish we might be able to target

I’m trying to figure out where in the country I want to be and what kind of fish we might be able to target
I understand. All the best with your research.

Also not ideal for Tuna.

Having said that, bottom fishing is all year round and you can target game fish as well

Also not ideal for Tuna.

Having said that, bottom fishing is all year round and you can target game fish as well

What about tiger fishing? Any other fresh water fish that are exciting?

You are planning to be there in the middle of winter. The further south you go the colder it will be. There are a lot of days in July and August where the last place you will want to be is off the South African coast.

You might check with the Namibian outfitters. Several offer a couple of days surf fishing and playing tourist around Swakopmund. We have done the tourist thing and can highly recommend.

You are planning to be there in the middle of winter. The further south you go the colder it will be. There are a lot of days in July and August where the last place you will want to be is off the South African coast.

You might check with the Namibian outfitters. Several offer a couple of days surf fishing and playing tourist around Swakopmund. We have done the tourist thing and can highly recommend.

I’m Canadian we are tough lol. We fish the Pacific Ocean here in the winter well below freezing. This was my afternoon last weekend -27.
IMG_5942.JPG

I’m Canadian we are tough lol. We fish the Pacific Ocean here in the winter well below freezing. This was my afternoon last weekend -27. View attachment 390994
Doesn’t look much like the Pacific. :Happy:

If you can get someone to take off shore in the middle of a South African winter more power to you. Couldn’t pay me to do it.

Doesn’t look much like the Pacific. :Happy:

If you can get someone to take off shore in the middle of a South African winter more power to you. Couldn’t pay me to do it.

If I’m wasting my time fishing for tuna and bill fish that’s fine, that’s what I was trying to figure out with the post. Certainly some sort of fishing must take place during the winter?

Some have said bottom fishing is possible, what type of fish would be targeted? I’m not looking to keep anything I just want some fish that are fun to catch.

Fished out of Richards Bay for billfish and tuna in May and that was the tail end of the season. July or August may provide some good tigerfishing in Mozambique on the Zambezi or Cahorra Bassa albeit, most of the big fish in the lake have been gill netted.

Tigerfishing is best in the hot months starting Sept.
Yes you can ho fishing and yes you will catch something but if you really are a serious fishherman and that is what you want to do then change your dates to get cl9ser to proper fishing time

What about tiger fishing? Any other fresh water fish that are exciting?

Here is an idea it might work and it might not work I will actually find out from my friend and outfitter.
Massingir Dam Mozambique, wild full of crocs, hippos and elephants walking through the camp.

Leave Phalaborwa South Africa side at 6am and be in camp on the Massingir Dam by 2pm driving through the Kruger Park. Even though its basically a 100km away as the crow flies from Phalaborwa which is not a cold area in winter the elevation drop to the dam in Mozambique has year round warmer weather so with a bit of work there is a chance for tigerfish.

Let me know if this might interest you?

Tigerfishing is best in the hot months starting Sept.
Yes you can ho fishing and yes you will catch something but if you really are a serious fishherman and that is what you want to do then change your dates to get cl9ser to proper fishing time

I’m planning to go for a hunt and those are the months I can take time off work, just trying to figure out if I can fit in some fishing too.

If you're in the South African region then you have Jozini dam in northern KwaZulu Natal. It is one of the warmer parts of SA in winter. Plenty tiger fish in there but as it's winter they may not be on the bite.

Massingr just over the border in Mozambique has been suggested and same applies.

If you're prepared to travel further north then do a trip to Vic Falls and do all the tourist stuff plus much better chance and weather on the upper Zambezi / Chobe rivers for tiger / vundu and bream. Kariba is also an option.

If you're going to be hunting Tanzania or northern Mozambique then deep sea fishing is an option for game fishing, although not the best time of year again. But it is a lot warmer then down south.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg