Gerhard

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunted
South Africa
When I moved to Dubai in September 2007 the last thing on my mind was fishing. Who cares about fishing in the desert???

Well after a couple of months of hard work and a lot of sweat I met a guy by the name of Gavin Haynes he just moved from South Africa with his family and it was not long before we started talking about fishing.
Gavin is a keen angler and he even brought his semi ridged inflatable with 2 x 40HP from South Africa.

Both of us are keen lure anglers and we decided to visit the east coast of the UAE to see what fish we could land with our 7 ft spinning tackle and plastic and buck tail jigs.

We had fun almost from the 1st cast and we caught a lot of fish.
Like Spotted Corral trout and Russell’s snapper to name but a few of the species.
P1000804.jpg

P1000802.jpg

The high light of the trip was when Gavin caught a nice 7kg King Mackerel (Cuta) from the rocks on a white buck tail jig.

P1000811.jpg

Our next trip we planned to get out onto the water with his semi ridged.
Just out of the harbor we could see birds diving and feeding.
We moved closer and 1st Gavin and then I got stuck on our 1st Queen Fish.
These are really a lot of fun to catch on light tackle as the fight very hard to the end. With spectacular jumps in between they are one of my favorite species to target.

On the next trip I caught a fish I have always wanted to catch.
I was using a 8 ft spinning rod with a Shimano 4000 Stadic spinning reel loaded with 8 lbs fire line.

As the Maria Spoon hit the water the line went tight and a very angry Dorado jumped out of the water. This was one of the fish I always dreamed about catching and now that dream was coming true.
After a very enjoyable fight my 1st Dorado was taking a boat ride…

P1010155.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010174a.jpg

The water around the east coast of the UAE goes up to 33 degrees Celsius during the warm summer months. During these times we went out a couple of times and had lots of fun casting surface lures at 2kg class tuna’s.
When these little buggers start feeding on the surface of the sea it looks and sounds like a boiling pot of water.

Around October the water start cooling down to around 27 degrees C and the dorado start to move closer to shore.
Now we were really enjoying catching dorado’s. It was not strange to catch 10 to 15 fish for a morning’s outing.

They would bite on almost any lure we trolled or cast to them.
Sometimes we could get live bait

And that would really produce the true UAE gold.
And these guys are awesome to eat as well.

P1000170b.jpg

We also have a lot of fun during this time with good size Queen Fish

DSC00154.jpg

P1000075-1.jpg

As I said before I was not thinking about fishing when I came to Dubai the 1st time but I really enjoyed fishing here and made some good friends along the way.

Who would have thought one could catch fish in the desert….?

Attachments

• P1000804.jpg
    P1000804.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 420
  • P1000802.jpg
    P1000802.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 338
  • P1000811.jpg
    P1000811.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P1010155.jpg
    P1010155.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 331
  • P1010165.jpg
    P1010165.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 323
  • P1010174a.jpg
    P1010174a.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 362
  • P1000170b.jpg
    P1000170b.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 409
  • P1000075-1.jpg
    P1000075-1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Great pics Gerhard! You've got me wanting to plan a trip out there now to try it out:D

Super Post!

Gerhard, I have to say that I love your pictorial posts. They are so much fun to read and you really have a way of drawing me into whatever you are writing about. You have even got me reading your posts on topics that I have previously not been all that interested in, like sorry to say, bow hunting, I am now reading because I like your posts. I do love fishing:) so you got me hooked with that, but keep up with the great posts on any subject and I'll be there to check them out!

Love your dorado pictures Gerhard. I have caught a few but it has always been on heavy tackle while fishing for tuna. I would love to try and catch some on light tackle or a fly. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

jaustin,

If you want to tackle dorado on fly make sure you use a 12 weight rod. Anything lighter and you will be taken to the cleaners by this strong fighting fish bigger than 10 lbs.

Gerhard,

Wow!! thanks for the picture.

Monish

Fishing in the desert?

Yep do it all the time. Heres' a couple on the 3wt fly rod.

Attachments

• DSCF1127_zpsf5ceb09c.jpg
    DSCF1127_zpsf5ceb09c.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 301

jaustin,

If you want to tackle dorado on fly make sure you use a 12 weight rod. Anything lighter and you will be taken to the cleaners by this strong fighting fish bigger than 10 lbs.

Hi. Don't want to burst your bubble but here's some Dorado on a 3 wt!!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4s9pg3y1fctptv/Hollis Madness - Dorado on The Fly 3Wt 3lb Test.mp4?dl=0

OK a bit of a stunt. After the clip we moved up to 9 - 12 wts.

Ade

Great report! I'm leaving today headed back to KSA, will try to find a pic of my 41" queen caught on light tackle and top water while wading at our compound.

Great report! I'm leaving today headed back to KSA, will try to find a pic of my 41" queen caught on light tackle and top water while wading at our compound.
Look forward to it. have a safe trip.

Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

Yebbo... fly fishing for these beauties is great fun.. I used 9/ 10 wt but agree that it gets tricky with the bigger boys and you have to let them run a lot or risk breaking the rod, which happened a few times with my son behind the reel!! I now use 12 wt for these and also have a 15wt for sailies and bigger tuna/ barracuda etc

Longtail Tuna on the fly Oman

Sailfish Oman (note tagged for release)

Attachments

• dtl_1_6_2015_7_47_20_zps9klglymx.jpg
    dtl_1_6_2015_7_47_20_zps9klglymx.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Image_zpsj1nomyex.jpg
    Image_zpsj1nomyex.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:
41" queenfish, wading with light open face tackle and Rapala topwater . Jubail, Saudi Arabia.
image.jpg

Hamour wenched out of the rocks on heavy tackle. Once hooked they head straight to the bottom and run under the rocks around our rec center. The sea bream were caught while fishing for bait to use on the Hamour.
image.jpg

image.jpg

The sea us full of ugly critters! But some of them eat real good !

Cracking fish Sand Rat. (especially the Queen) and fancy catching it where you did.

By the way meant to say, great pictures and write-up Gerhard, are yo still in the region?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.