First trip - Two Guns - What ammo?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
First safari will happen this year. I've acquired two Dakota Model 10s, one in 7x57 and the other in 300 Holland thinking they would cover the bases for plains game in Africa and that I'd get plenty of lifelong use out of them everywhere else in the world.

For Africa, do you foresee any reason that I would need anything loaded with solids, either for my own hunts or to protect myself while observing other members of the hunt that are actually taking big-5?

I had intended to use the following ammo:

Nosler 7x57 Accubond 140gr

Nosler 300 H&H Accubond 180gr

My thinking was accuracy above all else and those appeared to have the best factory accuracy and expansion properties available. (a bit better than partitions)

Do I need a woodleigh solid for any reason you can foresee on this trip? I really don't want to handload but would do so if essential. (e.g. Woodleigh required)

Nope! Looks like you are covered well.

Those plains game animals die just like our animals. Shot placement is the deal.

No need for solids in either caliber; I used Noslers (225 grn Accubonds in .338; 200 grain Partitions in .30-06). Took larger animals with the 06 (Kudu, waterbuck, Gemsbok).....they dropped quickly with the partitions. Wildebeest dropped with the Accubonds.
You should be good to go..................

The only place that I could see the need of a solid would be if you wanted to shoot a animal such as a baboon and didn't want it to ruin the hide for a mount.

I have a friend that did this with a .375 HH on a baboon that he wanted to have mounted.

I agree that the only reason you might want a solid is if you're taking one of the little guys and don't want to mess up the cape.

I took a Texas heart shot on my klippie with my .375 H&H and a solid. Worked out fine with limited damage to the chest. If I had used a softpoint.... Well, no shoulder mount!

+1 on the advice from Jim and Royal. Ammo choices are sometimes limited in Canada, and finding solids in non-dangerous game calibre is not easy. As a result, I've made a lot of work for taxidermists on grysbuck, vaal reebok, and a few other small guys. I think it makes perfect sense to take a half dozen solids in case you come across one of these wonderful small antelope and don't want to blow it up.

Good luck!

I may have missed it but are you using Nosler factory loads or are you planning to handload the Nosler bullets you have listed?

Hello Rookhawk and welcome to the best forum,

As others have said here, the rifles and calibers you mention will likely do well.
Personally I know nothing about Accubond bullets though.
However, I do know a little about the .300 H&H, having used it in Alaska and Africa both.
IMO, there never has been a real burning need for all the other .30 magnums that followed.
(There certainly has been a burning market for them though).
The H&H version was designed for hunting thin skinned African game, especially for longer shots in open country.
And in open geography/sparse foliage, it is one of the very best for that use, which money can buy.

On my first African hunting trip, (Namibia/open hilly desert, cross canyon shots, etc.) I brought a .300 H&H and 180 grain Nosler Partitions at just a little over 2800 fps.
It worked so well that I would merrily do so again.
However, there were no eland or giraffe where I was and if there had been, I would have probably selected larger than .30 for that cause (not that giraffe interest me much anyway but, eland always will interest me).

As for the 7x57, it is a fine cartridge by reputation and like anything else, if you use the right type of bullet for the animals hunted and put it into their vitals, they will tip over/all will be well.
Again, I know nothing about the Accubond bullet but, despite today's - "haven't shot that many animals but I somehow know everything about it Technogeeks" - weeping over the NP bullet not being any good, regardless it is still an excellent bullet for African so called PG - in my opinion.
All the PH's I have spoken with on this agree for PG hunting but, some do not care for it on buffalo (lion yes/buffalo no).

For my Safari dollar, if I just had to bring the two rifles you mentioned, (I only like to bring one rifle per safari) I might consider working on an accurate load in the 7x57 with the 160 grain Nosler Partition or 160 gr Swift A-Frame, but that's just me.
I have never used the 7x57 in Africa but many do and seem very happy with it and I would not hesitate to use it if not hunting the largest PG species.

On that note, I would only bring the .300 / 180 grain and call it good.
As for "solids", I always bring a few that I have zeroed to the same point of impact as my softs but really only have needed one so far on a total of 4 safaris (had to shoot the buffalo shown in my avatar twice, one soft and one solid).
Some PHs suggest where legal, to bring a few (5 or 6 will do) solids for the miniature antelopes like duiker, klipspringer, steenbok and such but, I have shot these with softs and not splattered them too badly (I do not shoot any ultra high velocity cartridges when hunting in Africa).

Last but not least, my friend Lee DeSmet from Minnesota brought a .300 H&H on his first safari and used with great affect, 220 grain Hornady round nose softs (not sure what velocity) in the Limpopo District of South Africa (relatively thick thorn forest).
I was there and he returned to camp several times, with some very fine animals, large and small, plus a huge grin to match, rather supporting the notion that the old .300 H&H is still a fine "plains game" cartridge.

Sorry for the length of this rant but, I had too much espresso this morning (pretty feeble excuse - I just talk too much).

Blah, blah, blah, out.
Velo Dog.

Reactions: lcq
Sorry for the length of this rant but, I had too much espresso this morning (pretty feeble excuse - I just talk too much).

You need less Expresso, and more frozen herring! ;)

You need less Expresso, and more frozen herring! ;)

Hi Royal27,

Funny you should mention frozen herring just now.
Last night after supper, I was channel surfing and hit on some "cowboys vs ninjas" type of a movie, just in time to see the hero kill the villan with - you guessed it, a frozen herring (violently rammed through an eye and presumably into the brain).
With that, I will declare; "Hollywood has long run out of stories to tell in their stupid movies".

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

That is just AWESOME!!!
LMAO!!!

IMO, there never has been a real burning need for all the other .30 magnums that followed.

Velo Dog.

How true that is

How true that is

But look at how dull the shooting world would be without them.

I would hate to have to only have one choice when looking at the .30 magnums or any of the others for that matter.

Reactions: lcq

I would hate to have to only have one choice when looking at the .30 magnums or any of the others for that matter.

kind of like a variety of girlfriends that don't talk back or find new ways to spend your money

Even though the .300 H&H is, in reality more than enough cartridge for anything I'd ever use any .30 caliber rifle for, from my Capitalist's point of view I believe competition in the market place is a healthy thing.
And so, for that cause I too am grateful we have plenty of choices.

Rookhawk,

YOU ARE A MAN AFTER MY OWN HEART!!! I recently consolidated to two Dakota Model 10's: 270 WIN and 375 H&H. Figured I could kill anything I needed to with one of them. Not to mention the two fit me like a dream. I have reloaded but (I know this sounds blasphemous) plan to shoot factory loads. In the 270 it will be the 130 grain Trophy Bonded Tip bullet from Federal and in the 375 H&H I have managed to acquire A LOT of 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw "High Energy" ammunition. If (when!?!) I decide to reload it will be Swift A Frames/Scirocco's or North Forks for the 270 and North Forks for the 375. I debated long and hard about the 270/7x57 and finally went back to my roots with the former. Look forward to your reports back. Regards, Hank

Rookhawk I think you have the bases well covered with those two rifles. Like Hank I would love to see a picture of them. Good luck on your hunt and please post pictures when you get back!

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful responses.

-a couple points to answer questions posted

1.) I gave up hand loading and sold off my gear so I'm talking about nosler factory loads

2.) for those that don't know, accubonds are according to nosler, the updated twin of the partition. The partition occasionally has jacket separation issues that were resolved with accubonds. Both have 72% weight retention and controlled expansion. The BCs of te accubonds are vastly superior and approach match grade ammo if high BCs are valued. I've used neither yet so I'm repeating the data, not the real world field tests.

3.) I don't have pics of the Dakotas. Cabelas had a below cost blowout so I bought a deluxe 260 rem and a standard 257 Roberts. I have sent them to Dakota for rebarrel to 7x57 1:9 23" #3 contour and 300HH 1:10 25" #3 contour. Even after spending $1300 a gun to rebarrel I was ahead of the game.

I'm doing a bear hunt in Ontario (7x57) and a cow elk hunt in New Mexico (300) this year so that was the plan. Africa for both was/is a bolt on to the initial plan.

I really like 6.5x55, 7x57, 300 holland and 375 holland. I own the former 3 at present.

The last gun to add to the stable is my intention to build a 1.5 MOA, 200 yard falling block 20 bore rifle to use in slug states. I have a gorgeous custom ruger as a donor for this project when NECG takes the job. ....I'm rambling.

Anyway, if I need solids I'm in trouble because I don't handload so I wanted to ask here about that issue. I also can't get 200-220 gr nosler factory loads so I was asking about the 180s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg