First Trip To Africa

Well I have my first trip to SA coming up in Nov of 2021. I have been waiting for Zastava to release there 9.3x62 Mauser Left Hand Rifle's in the USA. They have been supposed to be released already and after talking with Zastava USA can't get a time frame for them to be sold.
So the option running around in my head is to buy a Left Hand , Remington SPS 30-06 and customize it out the ears. First step have the 24 inch 30-06 barrel Re-bored to 9.3x62 fairly easy conversion, Going to get a custom heavy walnut stock made for it, with a mercury recoil system in the stock. Optics will be a Burris Veracity 2x10x42mm , and top it off with a suppressor OSS HX-QD 338 TI.

Would like peoples opinions on the Build for Plains game hunting. Any advice welcome as well.

Check out Green Sporting Goods (I think that's their name) on gunbroker. If you can't find Green (located in TN), look for Alan McKinney.

I bought a LH Zastava M70 LR Mauser in 9.3x62 from him a couple years ago. He almost always has LH 9.3x62, 6.5x55, and 375 H&H in stock.

Alan's a good guy. I think once the Wuhan Virus stuff settles down, I'm going to replace the factory stock with a Boyd's (yeah, they actually make a LH M70 Zastava stock).

Just out of interest why do you want a heavy stock and a mercury recoil reducer in a 9.3x62....?

The recoil from Zastava 9.3x62 is appreciable, harder than my 45-70 shooting 525 gr bullets at 1625.

The recoil from Zastava 9.3x62 is appreciable, harder than my 45-70 shooting 525 gr bullets at 1625.

Since finding the listing from Allan on Gun Broker 2 days ago I have contacted him and put a deposit down on the 9.3x62 Mauser :) . Look forward to getting it , will become my close up rifle 300 to 400 Yard use at Max. As for the recoil already asked a couple people if it really requires it after I test it will go with a custom Muzzle break.

Would a 375 H&H Muzzle break work on a 9.3x62 Mauser , seems if I had to get a muzzle break for the 9.3 may have to order it from Europe.

Pretty sure a m/b from a 375 would work fine on a 9.3. The tolerances for a m/b aren't nearly as tight as need for a can to be effective. You're only talking the difference from .366 to .375. Could even use a can for a 375 on a 9.3. it's just not going be quite as quiet is all.

By the way, I've got a Zastava M70 in 458WM that I had my GS customize for me. Pic is over in my Intro Post. VERY solid rifle for the money. Doesn't have the traditional Mauser flop over bolt shroud safety. It has a 2-position trigger block side mounted slide safety. In "Safe" it does lock the bolt closed too. Trigger was a military style 2-stage and very rough/gritty and heavy. I still have the same trigger and safety in it, I just did a good bit of polishing to take the "hump" for the 2-stage out. Now, there is still a bit of take up and a lot of over travel but, it is sssmmmoooottthhhh and breaks constantly at 2 3/4 lbs.

Since finding the listing from Allan on Gun Broker 2 days ago I have contacted him and put a deposit down on the 9.3x62 Mauser :) . Look forward to getting it , will become my close up rifle 300 to 400 Yard use at Max. As for the recoil already asked a couple people if it really requires it after I test it will go with a custom Muzzle break.

Hmmm....you won't make any friends in the African PH community with a muzzle break.

For some reference (in case you didn't know), 9.3x62 250 and 286 gr bullets have a ballistic arc very close to 175 and 180 gr 308 Win.

I sent you a PM and posted that rifle here yesterday. Its still listed on GB, so he must have more than one? You're welcome!

I sent you a PM and posted that rifle here yesterday. Its still listed on GB, so he must have more than one? You're welcome!

Alan orders once a year, as I recall, and he orders several in each of the calibers I mentioned earlier this morning.

Hmmm....you won't make any friends in the African PH community with a muzzle break.

For some reference (in case you didn't know), 9.3x62 250 and 286 gr bullets have a ballistic arc very close to 175 and 180 gr 308 Win.

I think I can manage the recoil of a 9.3x62 will have a Pacmhyer recoil pad on it see how it handles, from there might consider a Mercury system or just doule up with a Limbsaver over the recoil pad there are options.

Morga, I knew that Sgt Zim had purchased a 9.3 x 62 Left Handed Zastava a while back. I contacted him this AM and asked that he join this thread. I see that he has and that now you are all set. I use a 35 Whelen which is a kissing cousin to the 9.3 x 62, no muzzle brake is necessary. I've been on this site for about 5 years now, there are virtually no hunting or firearms related questions that cannot be satisfactorily answered by one of our members. BTW you won't need a mercury recoil reducer either.

Morga, I knew that Sgt Zim had purchased a 9.3 x 62 Left Handed Zastava a while back. I contacted him this AM and asked that he join this thread. I see that he has and that now you are all set. I use a 35 Whelen which is a kissing cousin to the 9.3 x 62, no muzzle brake is necessary. I've been on this site for about 5 years now, there are virtually no hunting or firearms related questions that cannot be satisfactorily answered by one of our members. BTW you won't need a mercury recoil reducer either.
Shootist43
I use a brake on my Whelen but only because of a work related shoulder injury. My son can use it without the brake
Cheers mate Bob

Seems I may just go with my 300 WM, Yes it is fitted with a Muzzle Brake , letting the PH know well ahead of time, using a 240 Grain Woodleigh Weldcore JSP Ammunition should be enough for anything I am hunting with a well aimed shot.

Morga, trying to push a 240 Gn. bullet out of a 300 Win Mag sounds like a lot to me. A 200 Gn. bullet is much more appropriate for that caliber. Remember that the 300 Win Mag's "bones" were cut using 180 Gn. projectiles. IMHO your thoughts about using a 9.3 x 62 and a 286 Gn. bullet is much more appropriate than the combination you are "considering."

Morga, trying to push a 240 Gn. bullet out of a 300 Win Mag sounds like a lot to me. A 200 Gn. bullet is much more appropriate for that caliber. Remember that the 300 Win Mag's "bones" were cut using 180 Gn. projectiles. IMHO your thoughts about using a 9.3 x 62 and a 286 Gn. bullet is much more appropriate than the combination you are "considering."

I do see the value of the 9.3x62 as well for shooting up to 300 yards and finding a 286 grain from these cartridge companies I was looking at are made by Norma Eco Strike or Kalahari, Nolser Trophy Grade and Barnes. The reason I mentioned the 240 grain 300 WM is I have used that round with great success on the 300 WM 240 grain is great for up 500 yards and under, giving a Jackhammer hit at 300 yards, I am not a reloader but would be interesting to see the comparison in the ammunition.

Morga - the 240gr W-W is a fine bullet. I've looked over the species you're interested in taking: "Eland, Kudu up to 54 inches, Nyala, and Limpopo Bushbuck" and I'd like to offer up a little advice to consider.

The Limpopo Bushbuck is about the size of big southern US whitetail deer. 120-150lbs max. They are only about 12" or so thick trough the shoulders.

The Nyala is NOT as big as they seem in photos. They have very long hair along the underside of their belly that make them appear to have a bigger body than they do. They are actually about the size of norther US whitetail and run 225-300lbs or so. They are at max 18" through the shoulders. Side note: because of the long belly hair the biggest mistake made is to aim too LOW on the shoulder.

A kudu is about the same body size an American elk but they are not as think through the shoulders and they don't have the longer/thicker hair on their bodies as elk do and they don't wallow in mud. My wife describes them as being "elegant". Good bulls will go 600-700lbs or so and be around 24" through the shoulders.

Eland are big and heavy but they are not as thick through the shoulders as you would think. They do have heavy necks and heavy hind quarters but through the shoulders in the vital triangle not so much. Maybe 30" give or take.

I my opinion a 180gr mono metal bullet (TSX and NOT the TTSX) will work marvelously for you. In the bushbuck, nyala and kudu they will leave small entry and exit holes and little damage to the hides. Very important for your flat skin rugs or mounts. On the eland, that bullet in just a 308W will very likely pass through if you're inside 150m.

In general, all African antelope species are thinner across or through the bodies due in part to the high summer temps. Harder to keep a think body cool whereas deer, elk/stag species in the colder latitudes, thicker bodies help retain heat in the winters.

The reason I recommend the TSX over the TTSX is the rate of expansion is higher in the TTSX and they don't drive as deep.

Next benefit is there will be a good bit less recoil and they will be much flatter shooting. If you zero for a point blank range of 150m, at 100m you'll be about 1-1 1/2" high, dead on at 150m and 1-1 1/2" low at 200. The vital triangle on the smallest species your after, the bushbuck, is about a 4"circle. Means out to 200m all you've got to do is put the cross hairs in the vital triangle and squeeze. No guess work.

My last thought are these. While I don't know what part of RSA you're going to but, I do know that the species your after are all "bushweld" species and not open savanna. The limpopo bushbuck and nyala are actually more "riverine" and thick cover. Similar with the kudu being a "browser" and not a "grazer" they will be in the mopane/acacia treed areas. Eland are "combo" feeders, browes and graze. My point being, I just don't think you're shooting distances are going to be much more the 150m.

Just my opine - others will have different ones too.

Last edited:
Morga - the 240gr W-W is a fine bullet. I've looked over the species you're interested in taking: "Eland, Kudu up to 54 inches, Nyala, and Limpopo Bushbuck" and I'd like to offer up a little advice to consider.

The Limpopo Bushbuck is about the size of big southern US whitetail deer. 120-150lbs max. They are only about 12" or so thick trough the shoulders.

The Nyala is NOT as big as they seem in photos. They have very long hair along the underside of their belly that make them appear to have a bigger body than they do. They are actually about the size of norther US whitetail and run 225-300lbs or so. They are at max 18" through the shoulders. Side note: because of the long belly hair the biggest mistake made is to aim too LOW on the shoulder.

A kudu is about the same body size an American elk but they are not as think through the shoulders and they don't have the longer/thicker hair on their bodies as elk do and they don't wallow in mud. My wife describes them as being "elegant". Good bulls will 650-700lbs or so and be around 24" through the shoulders.

Eland are big and heavy but they are not as thick through the shoulders as you would think. They do have heavy necks and heavy hind quarters but through the shoulders in the vital triangle not so much. Maybe 30" give or take.

I my opinion a 180gr mono metal bullet (TSX and NOT the TTSX) will work marvelously for you. In the bushbuck, nyala and kudu they will leave small entry and exit holes and little damage to the hides. Very important for your flat skin rugs or mounts. On the eland, that bullet in just a 308W will very likely pass through if you're inside 150m.

The reason I recommend the TSX over the TTSX is the rate of expansion is higher in the TTSX and they don't drive as deep.

Next benefit is there will be a good bit less recoil and they will be much flatter shooting. If you zero for a point blank range of 150m, at 100m you'll be about 1-1 1/2" high, dead on at 150m and 1-1 1/2" low at 200. The vital triangle on the smallest species your after, the bushbuck, is about a 4"circle. Means out to 200m all you've got to do is put the cross hairs in the vital triangle and squeeze. No guess work.

Just my opine - others will have different ones too.

I can see your point , the 300 WM as I use it does seem to drive holes in things, my normal load I use here in the U.S. is the 180 grain Norma Bondstrike, honestly with the 9.3x62 I might even go old school with round nose ammunition but the Barnes you mentioned works great to :) , with the base info I can do some math in my head with a 286 grain Barnes and it standard cartridge velocity if I zeroed the Mauser at 200 yards, it would be about 2 inches high at 100 and 4 to 5 inches in drop at 300 would have to fire a few rounds to gauge it.

Morga - I was editing while you were typing. Might want to go up and see the para I added.

I've had some coffee and some more things for you to consider and think about.

Unless you are sitting in a blind, most or your shooting is going to be from standing with shooting sticks. Why standing? Likely because the grass might be too tall for you to sit on the ground with sticks and see over. Or you might be using a tree or branch for a rest. My point being, can you CONSISTENTLY put a bullet in a 4" circle standing and off shooting sticks at 300m?

By consistently I mean to where you're willing to bet $2000.00 on your ONE shot chance. Because in effect, that is what you're doing. If you gut shoot a animal over there, you can just about figure it's gone and the trophy fee is payable.

Unless you're after species like mountain reedbuck or rhebok/vaal rebok or hunting in some open savanna area or the Okavango delta area, I just don't see your shooting ranges being beyond 200m.

Would be a very good idea for you to contact your PH and ask him what the normal shooting distances are in the area you'll be hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,