Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, SSAA
Hunted
Australia, NZ, Fiji, Namibia
I am an Aussie hunter whose dreamed of going to Africa since I was a kid. it has held me captivated since growing up watching David Attenborough docos and reading Wilbur Smith books

I am hunting with Harold and Liezel of Osombahe-nord in Namibia in may next year, after great reviews from some aussie colleagues.

I am trying to work out what to do with taxidermy

I would ideally like to get the following animals

Gemsbok - shoulder mount
Blesbok - shoulder mount
impala - shoulder mount
Springbok - Shoulder mount
jackal - full body
zebra - flat skin
warthog - skull mount
baboon -skull mount
(possible extra skull mounts)

I have no idea if i should get them tanned there and taxidermied here, or have the lot done in Namibia and then sent over complete. One camp tells me to get them done there, as African taxidermist are naturally going to be more familiar with African animals, and taxidermy is expensive in Australia.

the other camp tells me to get them tanned there and sent over, as frieght is brutal $$ on the finished work

I think I am leaning towards getting it all done there, as some taxidermists have told me that skins coming into Australia from Africa must be tanned, not just dip and packed, and often the skins are too hard and dry to work with, either unusable or very expensive in time to get completed

I have asked a few on here for recommendations, but what are other peoples thoughts?

Cheers
Steve

Hello and welcome to AH Steve!

Best of luck on your hunt next year! You will probably get an even number of responses for both taxidermy there or at home. I personally would lean towards getting them done in your home country.

Welcome Steve! I'm sure you'll get several varying responses. You might even do some searching and find a few threads along the same lines. I'm in the same boat as you - have my first trip booked and now trying to finalize all the details. From what I gathered is there are some good shops there (many in RSA, not sure about Namibia), but there are quite a few bad. There are several folks who might say one shop is great, and then someone will come along and says it's rubbish. I think most would agree it is cheaper to get the work done there - but many might argue the quality.

Anyways, after all that "help" I just gave you, I'll say this. I'm leaning towards dip and pack and taxidermy in my home country (USA). Can't give you a concrete reason, just makes me feel better. There are several taxidermists here in the States that do a lot of African work, and have certain dip and pack companies they work with that provides them with workable hides, heads, and horns.

Anyways, someone come tell me how wrong I am :D

I think I am leaning towards getting it all done there, as some taxidermists have told me that skins coming into Australia from Africa must be tanned, not just dip and packed, and often the skins are too hard and dry to work with, either unusable or very expensive in time to get completed. .........

Do not get them tanned in Africa to be mounted at home. Trust the taxidermists advice.

The fact is, if you can not bring in D&P then I think you have answered your question.

Search for the best taxidermist given the restrictions you note.

You need to find a taxidermist in your area that deals with African mounts and talk to them about what they think is best.

There are threads on here about having the capes tanned in Africa and then bringing them home but the consensus has been not to do it.

Also having the heads mounted in Africa is a double edge sword. There is always that "what if" something happens and you don't like the way that the mount was done. Are you going to take it back to Africa or try and find a taxidermist that can fix it where you live?

Im in the position now where the Aussie taxis are saying to not get it done in Aus, as the skins are no good for mounting, but then ill risk not having any come back if the mount isnt any good when it arrives.

Ive sent dozens of emails to various taxidermists over there, and my outfitter recommends reiser taxidermy. Has anyone here had experiance with them?

Welcome to AH Steve!

just an update, i have recieved a few price lists back from taxidermists, and the price runs to much more than done here...

I will speak to my local taxidermist again about pricing

Lots to consider.... the work, the dip/pack, shipping, etc.....

What Province or country are you hunt in?

What Province or country are you hunt in?

Ill be hunting in Namibia, about 90km from Windhoek in the central eastern highlands, and then moving to the kalahari, about 150km from Windhoek to the south east

Hey Steve, I will give you my 2 bobs worth.
I got my capes tanned in South Africa at Universal trophy Services and Imported by Raitt International Freight and taxidermy was done my Markus from Down Under Taxidermy. I could not be happier with the end result.
Talk to Markus because you probably know he has been with the same outfitter in Namibia and I believe he is going back this year.
Your total shoulder mounts volume will not be great because most are small animals ( Exception is Gemsbuck) and they will have removable horns to save volume. If you get the work done in Namibia then use a taxidermist with a good reputation.

Welcome to AH Steve, i think get it done in Namibia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg