First Time to South Africa

newtohunting

Reaction score
I am a female hunter/companion heading to South Africa in a few months. Any good advice or suggestions for me? :)

Hi newtohunting.
You are going to love the RSA. My advice to you will be to allow some time for site seeing as S. Africa is a very diverse and beautiful country. My wife and I were there in 08 and we spent some time in Capetown and drove the garden route. We hunted in the Eastern Cape. Also beautiful.
Where are you hunting and where are you landing in S Africa? Also, I would like to hear about which animals you are hoping take.
Best of luck, Mike
PS. We are now completly addicted to Africa and are heading to Zimbabwe in 5 weeks. ME

Hi There, welcome to AH , you would be happy being a part of this hunter family.
Welcome again

Monish

Welcome to AH newtohunting! I think the advice from Mike is excellent.

You're going to love it! I took my family, wife and two children, to Limpopo Province last May/June, and we had the trip of a lifetime. Where will you be going on this trip? What will you be hunting? How long will you be there? I'm sure we can all give you some ideas on great things to do besides just the hunting, even though the hunting can be spectacular.

Tell us more.

Welcome to the forum. South Africa can offer a wide variety of things to do that will be hard to find in other countries. The North West province of South Africa are in the "middle" of things and "most interests" are reachable in moderate times...

Hey New to hunting,

You will enjoy South Africa very much and it is really safe out there. All advice I can give you is to take as much pictures as possible and enjoy our beautifull country and excellent hunting!

Hello 'newtohunting' and welcome to the AH forum. My advice for your upcoming trip is to "take your camera and take your time". There is much to see and enjoy there.

Welcome to AH! Good to see another gal on here. I agree with the others besides the fun of hunting, stalking in the bush, photographing the animals and scenery there is also a lot of sightseeing/touring that can be arranged nearby to most all locations in South Africa. Let us know where you will be hunting.

Take a DSLR with a 300mm lens and binoculars. Don't forget a notepad as you will forget a lot of the things you see and hear and your notes will entertain you for years to come. Try get 2 field guides for mammals and birds of southern Africa, this will add immensely to your experience.

If you have some tine for touring, your options are endless. A few days in Krueger NP would be excellent; also Ithala and Hluhluwe NPs, St Lucia Wetlands, Swaziland and Cape Town. My wife loved a birthday gift of a few days at The Elephant Sanctuary near the Magaliesberg Mountains on one of our trips and if you're on the southern coastline around Hermanus and Port Elizabeth you can check out the seals and penguins, go whale watching or horse riding along the beach.

Too much to do, you're spoilt for choice. Start with a map and maybe pick up a Lonely Planet Guide if you don't know anything about the country. You'll love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!