Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA life member
Hunted
Namibia,USA, east cape sa
Question to all the knowledge here, I’m taking two rifles, did my 4457 both on one form, so with saps520, do I need to do two? Sorry new to two rifles

Question to all the knowledge here, I’m taking two rifles, did my 4457 both on one form, so with saps520, do I need to do two? Sorry new to two rifles

Two 4457s and both rifles go on the Same SAPS form! Make sure the 4457s are dated in the year you go on the hunt.

You can have two rifles on the same 4457, at least I have in the past. Or you can have one for each, it does not matter. Henry @riflepermits.com would be the best to ask however in case things have changed.

I had 2 rifles and a shotgun all on the same form, no problems. This was last week. Just be sure the 4457 has a expiration date that has not passed as of your exit from Africa, mine was August 2019. And a customs agent signature dated in the current year.

Make a couple copies and include one with the saps form. As well as a copy of your flight itinerary, and a black and white copy of your passport.

Two rifles on one 4457 is not an issue, Those same rifles listed on a SAPS 520 is not an issue. But for "importation" purposes (into S.A.) they cannot be the same caliber. Like others have said, make sure the 4457 is current in every respect.

I guess I stand corrected as to the 4457 with two guns on it. Never done it that way myself but seems others have and it works.

I appreciate the question and the answers as this trip, my fourth, will be the first time I will take my own rifles.

You will list both rifles on one SAPS 520 form and one temporary import permit will be issued for SA. Contact me henry@riflepermits.com for more information.

I put one on each 4457. They can be used multiple times, and each hunt may have a different rifle or mix.

I put one on each 4457. They can be used multiple times, and each hunt may have a different rifle or mix.

I never realized you could put more than one on a 4457 until this thread. But now that you mention it my rifle mix has been different almost every trip so having the individual 4557s makes that a lot easier.

You can list as many as you like on a 4457. When I moved out of Alaska we literally filled them up. The SAPS is limited to 3 firearms I believe.

When I first got a 4457 I listed everything that I was taking on my trip as far as rifle, scope, binoculars, camera, and a couple of other things.

The next one I got I asked for the rifle/scope combo to be listed on a separate one and since then have had another rifle listed on a separate one. That way no matter where I go I can take just the one 4457 that has what rifle on it that I am taking.

Is listing your scope in the 4457 a thing?
I never have.
I just used the form to satisfy SAPS and customs... never had US customs said anything about my scopes.

Is listing your scope in the 4457 a thing?
I never have.
I just used the form to satisfy SAPS and customs... never had US customs said anything about my scopes.

If you read what the actual purpose of the 4457 is on the US Customs web site it makes sense to list the scope. That is also why I list my optics and cameras. But I also have never had any of them checked coming back into the US. But there is always the first time.

Listing your scopes ensures that they are yours and not something you picked up over there. Avoids any customs duty fees. I've never had mine questioned but you never know who's doing the checking and what his attitude may be.

Reactions: WAB
With the exchange rates being what they are, is it actually cheaper to buy scopes in Africa?

If they were made in Africa, I could see it, but they are all imported, and that isn’t cheap at all.

It isn't necessarily pointing at Africa but other parts of the world.

But for "importation" purposes (into S.A.) they cannot be the same caliber. Like others have said, make sure the 4457 is current in every respect.

I was planning to take a double in 375 for buff and a bolt in 375 for longer shots - will this cause me a problem?

Swoobie, my gut feel is yes it would. However if they are two different types of 375 i.e. one a 375 H&H and the other a 375 Ruger it maybe ok. To be sure, contact Henry at https://www.africahunting.com/members/riflepermits-com.21291/ Henry is a lawyer that handles firearm importation into SA. I highly recommend you use his services to assist you in clearing your firearms through SAPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross