First time shooting my .458 Lott........

Brandon.Gleason

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, DSC, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA, Zimbabwe
Well, like the title says, took my CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .458 Lott with a box of Hornady 500gr DGX and DGS ammo to the range for a first firing today. Was planning on shooting it at our 50 yrd outdoor range, but there were 4 or 5 people there shooting pistols (only about an 8 person range at the 50 yrd). Out of respect for other people's hearing, I went up to the 100yd range to shoot. Wasn't very happy about this because I don't plan on this being a 100 yd gun right off the bat for me. First thing I noticed when I loaded up 5 softs in the magazine and tried to chamber the top round was that it wasn't feeding very well, and I had to coax it in by gradually bumping the bolt forward bit by bit. I'll be looking into sending this out to AHR to have this worked over after that little bit of unreliable feeding.

Next was the RECOIL! I'm no slouch when it comes to hard kicking guns. I like my handguns big, shooting high power loads, but this thing was an ANIMAL! I had no trouble controlling it, but my shoulders aching right now :rolleyes: ! And I only got off 5 rounds of solids and five of softs!

I may have to look into some mercury reducers if I don't get used to this round in the next 100 rounds or so. For now, I'll look into one of those padded shoulder inserts for practice sessions.

On the plus side, I don't feel as if I was flinching by the last round. :D I will be looking for some reduced power load data to use for practice rounds to get used to handling and operating the rifle.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Brandon

good, I have a CZ 458lott, like much of this caliber and to me is the caliber most balanced for dangerous game:wub:, the recoil does not bother me, I shoot with 460WBY (yes this is a very very good recoil:eyecrazy:), shots of 200metres with ammunition 500gr of 2300 feet are very accurate, I have hunted deer and some small all with 458lott and I liked it very much, I'm testing with loads of tips 325gr and 350gr and not yet hunted with this ammo, I will use soon and I can speak of field results on feeding a small competent professional service to solve your problem, you also must be feeling that when the bolt action when action is a little rough, it is easy to work, buy a JB bore cleaner or a place a flitz good amount around the bolt and maneuver fast closing and opening by about 50 to 100 times until you realize that the action is soft and smooth, a bedding in stock, a good set on the trigger and you will have an excellent weapon dangerous game.:thumb:

I believe that you will not spend more than $ 100.00 to do this!

good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you