First time question

Hendo

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
hello all,

First I was want to say there is a wealth of information on site and I really appreciate that it is here. So planning a first time trip to Africa for plains game and have a question I thought Id pose to the group. When going with a hunting spouse do you both book the same “package” and not worry about killing the same species or do you each select something different to avoid duplicates in the wall? I can see attributes to both angles, but Im having a challenge deciding whats best. Of course we have similarities on what we'd like to harvest, but should that be broken up over a couple trips? Knowing my personality and even without having gone before I know there will be more trips!

Thanks,
Destry

Within your budget of course, you should both shoot what you want. Don't get too hung up on the animals within a package, most if not all outfitters will work up a package based on the animals you want.

Personal preference in my opinion I thought the same thing but I took 3 Kudu and 3 Blues on 1 trip. Packages are usually cheaper than hunting on day rate. No bad choice for sure. Happy shopping, almost as fun as the hunt.

I say hunt what you both like even if they are the same animals. You can display them together and show them off like a couple that way.

You just may have few different ones and some that are the same. Just enjoy the hunting and sharing the time hunting together.

Yep both of you hunt what you want. Couples hunts can easily be custom made for you and the spouse. As mentioned by @billc you could make up some great double mounts.

The double mounts never even crossed my mind!

My wife and I have our own list of wants . She just likes different things than I do.
So I'm kinda lucky in that respect. But we have doubled up on things like kudu, Springbok and impala. Many are double ped mounts in our home. They are some of our favorite pieces . Just go shoot what each of you like and sort it out in the end. Good luck.

Great question, and good on you for asking it before hand. Unfortunately it turned out that my wife and I wanted some of the same trophies our first trip which resulted in one or two tense situations. This next trip we are going separately since, once again, some of the same trophies are on the list. You know your situation best, if either of you is a little "too competitive" then perhaps focusing on different animals this trip, then switching the list next trip so that you both get what you want with no hunting overlap might be a good idea. That being said, nothing wrong with doubling, or even tripling up on some things if they really capture "Africa" for you!

There are so many species available, why not split them up? In fact with so many different countries and in fact different types of areas within a country, it will be several trips before you will run out of variety. And you will likely have more "adventure" hunting different species.

On the other hand, if you just really want to shoot a lot of stuff, it will likely be easier for your PH(s?) to get you on the same species, in many instances such as the herding animals.

Are you hunting together with one PH or going 1x1 with separate PH's?

My wife and I split our animals up. She wanted a blue wildebeest and I wanted the black (we are doing a double pedestal mount). she got a blesbuck I got an impala. (after my impala she had to have one so she got one to on the second part of my trip and we are doing shoulder mounts but looking at each other). She was after steenbuck but we never seen one but I wanted springbuck. Then the second part she wanted warthog but we only seen sows and a couple shooters but she was to slow so I got the nyala. She got the Kudu because I was getting my dream animal a giraffe. I got the zebra because she didn't want to shoot one.

So with that said split them up if it is in your budget and isn't on the I HAVE to have this animal list, and if you do get double try to incorporate both in a mount. I say split it up so you don't compare animals or anything like that. My wifes Impala is far longer than mine but mine has way more mass.

I don't know where you are from, but if the USA, divorce rates are better then 50%. I would recommend that you shoot what you want, just in case.

Already been divorced once. I got a PHd in that regard

Double Mounts are nice.

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they are
That is an awesome looking mount! Now please excuse my ignorance Are those the same subspecies of kudu?
both "Cape Kudu"

Yes they are

both "Cape Kudu"

Yea. After looking again I see the similarities in the size. When I first glanced at it. It looked like one had a much bigger head than the other. Sorry lol.

One is over 10" longer than the other.

Wider one was 53.5" and narrow one was just over 42"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg