Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Hi All,

First post and seeking advice. I'm planning my first hunt to South Africa and would like your opinions on the Eastern Cape vs Limpopo. Only interested in the impala, gazelle, hyena/jackel and warthog species and have no desire for large or dangerous game. My primary interest is the hunt i.e. stalking and hunting over large trophies as I will not be bringing anything home but memories and pictures. The initial plan is to bring my 300wsm and 243 but have a 20" 308 tactical (heavy) if you consider the 243 too light but stuff shouldn't be tougher than large deer.

I'm Canadian so even more paperwork (aren't we all feeling much safer:rolleyes:). For the direct flight which airport is best to fly out of? I hear Nanny Bloomberg makes things difficult for law abiding gun owners.

Thanks much all suggestions appreciated

also on the bucket list

helicopter hog hunt (can't bring my AR-15)
night hog hunt

Welcome to AH, Icq.

I m afraid you won t find gazelle in SA, your 300WSM is fine for the rest.

Limpopo vs Eastern Cape, there I can t help, not been to Eastern Cape yet !

Good day sir,
Welcome to the forum!
Well, the Eastern Cape is a lot more mountainous than the Limpopo, so I guess it would depend on your preference regarding terrain. I'm pretty sure that by saying gazelle, you mean Springbok. Springbok, Impala and Warthog are pretty abundant in both provinces. Can't speak for the Limpopo, but Jackal is very abundant here.
Although the .300WSM is a great rifle, if I look at your battery, you would be able to take all of the listed animals with the .243 quite comfortably.
All the best with your planning, and please let us know should you have any further question.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Thanks guys, Actually I did mean Springbok.

BTW I'm very comfortable with 500-600 meter shots but in the real world of grass and cover I take it going prone isn't an option. What are the typical ranges from the sticks?

Thanks

Sometimes prone is possible in Africa. I have taken a couple of animals that way. 500 meter shots are a long ways under hunting conditions, though some manage it. Too far for me except on paper. Range off sticks varies with terrain as well. And springbok are a gazelle according to SCI.

Glad to have you as a member.:welcome: Go through this website, read information and you will learn a lot about outfitters and the areas they hunt. There are a number of good outfitters and agents on this site that can help you out. Make sure and check references and feel free to ask about specific people here and you will get good feedback.

Marius has given good advise.

The bush in the Limpopo lends itself to shorter shots. You will probably have to prove your marksmanship to a PH before he will let you take a shot over 300 meters. Even then he will prefer to get you inside 300 meters wherever you hunt. Let us know your decision and make sure and post a hunting report with photos when you are done. Enjoy the planning process.

All the best.

... if you consider the 243 too light but stuff shouldn't be tougher than large deer.

You are going to be amazed at how tough those animals are. I was shocked by some that I shot this year. I shot a springbok at ~150 meters with a 338 Win Mag. Even that little animal went a few meters. Wildbeest kept going even though it had been shot twice in the chest and was coughing up chunks of lung. Hartebeest - chest shot and knocked down. It got up and ran. Another chest shot, knocked down and it got up and took off again. Third shot to the chest and one somewhere else. It went a bit further and stopped again. Final shot finished it. In the end, it had been hit 4 times in the chest and once somewhere else. One of the shots was from a 375 H&H. When we got to it, we found that both front legs were broken. I'd call that tougher than a deer by a whole lot.

My PH said that he felt you need a magnum caliber for plains game. In a recent issue of SCI's newsletter, Craig Boddington proposed that a 30-06 is a good caliber.

Agreed, it is one thing to be shooting prone off a bipod bagged at the rear with all the time in the world, hunting, well 300 is getting up there off sticks with the wind blowing.

Sometimes prone is possible in Africa. I have taken a couple of animals that way. 500 meter shots are a long ways under hunting conditions, though some manage it. Too far for me except on paper. Range off sticks varies with terrain as well. And springbok are a gazelle according to SCI.

Welcome to AH Icq!

Average shot in the Limpopo: 100yd - 200yd. Average shot in the East Cape: 150yd to as far as you are comfortable. (some moutainous areas you might not have a option to get closer and it will be a "across the canyon" shot or nothing) As Marius said, most of the East Cape in alot more mountainous and wide open. While the .243 will certainly take your list of animals, I would opt for the .300WSM or .308. I don't know of anyone that just took the animals they went after. Once you get there you might change your mind once you see that 50" Kudu or Eland! I use a Harris bipod and it is invaluable on those 300+ yd shots. BTW, not sure about the spotted hyena in the East Cape. You might have to stick with the Limpopo if you really want a hyena.

P.S. - If you like the stalking part, try the Black Wildebeest in the East Cape. They'll drive you as crazy as they are! Lot's of fun!

Icq welcome to AH.

For the trophy animals you are looking Both should be good.

Looks and obtain 1st had references before you book.
Take a look at lodging - Things to do before and after the trip is if you plan to spend some additional time. Especially if you bring your wife or girlfriend along.

Your rifle will be just fine. If your budget allows you can check on some other trophy animals to go after. Spotted Hyena's are kind of a specialty trophy. While i have seen them on 2 trips with in easy rifle range (about 30 yards) it was something i was not looking to go after, same for the Jackal.

Have you considered the Bush Pig they can be a blast.

Check with Marius

Prone is very possible in Africa and the .243 is perfect for the animals you wish to hunt. I have taken a bi-pod on all my hunts. I doubt you will find a free range Hyena.

Having Springbok as my #1 priority on two hunts, I can say that hunting grass and long shots (on foot) should probably read: hunting in variable wind conditions. Practise a lot.

There is good hunting in the Northern cape and Transvaal too. Don't discount them, though you may need an additional travel leg. For warthog, I would say that trophy quality needs to be established before you go. Rocky ground doesn't eliminate good trophy Warthog, however 'soft' country doesn't mess as much with their dentistry.

Wind, the bane of long range shooters. I shoot up to 900M at the Connaught military range and regularly get spanked by those who have a knack for doping the wind. The 243 is a very light rem 700 and you tend to carry the gun more than shoot it so light is good.

BTW I'm very comfortable with 500-600 meter shots but in the real world of grass and cover I take it going prone isn't an option. What are the typical ranges from the sticks?

Thanks
My son and I hunted with KMG 2 summers ago.
His shots.....
Impala- about 25 meters
Warthog- about 25 meters
Blue Wilderbeest- maybe 200 meters.
Kudu- maybe 100-150 meters.

My shots....
Kudu- over 200 meters
Waterbuck- over 200 meters
Zebra- over 200 meters
Jackal- I cannot remember if it was 160 meters or if it was more.

from what i've been told Springbok are usually long shots, usually well over 200 meters.

East Cape mountains are beautiful.

Great that is just the type of info I was looking for

Thanks
My son and I hunted with KMG 2 summers ago.
His shots.....
Impala- about 25 meters
Warthog- about 25 meters
Blue Wilderbeest- maybe 200 meters.
Kudu- maybe 100-150 meters.

My shots....
Kudu- over 200 meters
Waterbuck- over 200 meters
Zebra- over 200 meters
Jackal- I cannot remember if it was 160 meters or if it was more.

from what i've been told Springbok are usually long shots, usually well over 200 meters.

East Cape mountains are beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most PH's I know, because there are so many variables, and even with experienced riflemen, prefer to keep clients on shots way under 300 meters. The costs, and lost hunting time, involved with a wounded animal are not worth any fancy shooting. Was I you, if you are comfortable it, I'd bring the .308. It can always be carried by one of the trackers for a while if need be. You will be back, so do the Eastern Cape first.

welcome to the forum, I too am planning my first hunt in SA, and let me say this, there is more information on this web site than you could ever dream of. The good bad and the ugly. Go through some of the older posts, do searches read peoples hunts. Every time I think I am set with the information I need I find a post about something that I didn't think of.
I have been lucky so far, a lot of concerns raised in this forum have been answered very quickly by the outfitter I am leaning towards

Welcome to the forum.You can also consider the Northwest province,all these species are found here.Both Eastern cape and Limpopo are good,Limpopo is just not real home range to the Springbuck.Your shot distance will mostly be under 250 metres.

Thanks

The big difference I think is obviously terrain. The Limpopo has a lot more thick bush.

The EC is mor like Namibia especially the Karoo where the big springbuck herds are. Long shots can easily be arranged here as the topography can change from from river bush to open plains in a matter of 100 yds in the Karoo. We employ spot and stalk hunting as we can't shoot off of trucks the game don't allow it.

We have everything you want except the Hyaena.
I hope you have fun on your upcoming Safari.
Regards
dave

You could also consider the Western Cape. Cape Town has loads of great things to offer and if you are flying from Canada then you take the long haul to London, UK and then the long haul directly in to Cape Town from London on British Airways. Why not spend a day or two acclimatizing in the Nappa Valley of South Africa, the Cape Winelands, before taking a 4.5 hour drive to the Karoo. There you will find all the plains game you are looking for and Jackal but no Hyena. Karoo hunting is mostly longer distance i.e. 150m - 300m either off sticks or quite often lying down. You could even squeeze in a game of golf in addition to the hunt on the way back.

Where ever you decide to go, I am sure you will enjoy South Africa. BTW - I would go with the .300 WSM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you