First safari travel has been interesting...

buddy48

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Missouri, South Africa
Me and @Royal27 had an interesting flight last night with having our flight cancelled due to a medical emergency and I'm now sitting on a plane in Dulles on my way to Johannesburg. While sitting here I learn that it stops in Ghana. Never got word if tat through the rerouring rocess. Well, Ghana is a yellow fever country and I don't have a vaccine for yf. So, I'm wondering if I'll run into issues in Johannesburg with not having the vaccine. We aren't getting off, staying on the plane so I have that going for me at least.

Anyone ever get denied entry because of not having the vaccine? I didn't get it because with my original flight plans Ghana wasn't in the plans...

Ouch! Maybe they will not notice given that you are American. Just say you arrived from America!

As long as they are not on an enforcement push you should not have an issue.
You can be refused entry, but I doubt you'll be that unlucky.
Good luck.

I did just find a statement that said transit in the country greater than 12 hours. We'll fall well below that unless there are mechanical issues so hopefully we'll be okay.

Good luck buddy48

Me and @Royal27 had an interesting flight last night with having our flight cancelled due to a medical emergency and I'm now sitting on a plane in Dulles on my way to Johannesburg. While sitting here I learn that it stops in Ghana. Never got word if tat through the rerouring rocess. Well, Ghana is a yellow fever country and I don't have a vaccine for yf. So, I'm wondering if I'll run into issues in Johannesburg with not having the vaccine. We aren't getting off, staying on the plane so I have that going for me at least.

Anyone ever get denied entry because of not having the vaccine? I didn't get it because with my original flight plans Ghana wasn't in the plans...

After some 24 hours in the airport yesterday, Royal is back home and won't get out until tomorrow. I'm glad you were able to get rebooked and out a bit sooner than he.

Use all the bad luck up now and the Safari should be great!

Sorry to hear of your travel troubles. Always a pita.... Best of luck from hear on out. Bruce

Hang in there, the travel there and back from a hunt can be frustrating at times. Working in a hospital I see how bad people take care of themselves. I'm surprised more emergencies don't happen.

All the best buddy, hopefully all this will be behind you soon and you have a great safari!

Another couple of days & all this frustration will be a distant memory. Good hunting.

I have taken that flight with no vaccine. No worries you will be fine! But you can feel the humidity as you are approaching.

When all this started yesterday Buddy looked over at me and said, "you've done this before, what should we do?" I told him I hadn't done THIS before and that the hell if I knew? :A Bonk:

Glad you're making it @buddy48 !!!! What a grand adventure!

I'm back at home and will go again tomorrow and give it another shot.

Guys,

I did use yesterday to introduce buddy to whatsapp so we can send pics before be gets back. I'm looking very much forward to seeing what his son takes!

Royal did the Delta folks ever explain canceling flight 200 vs loading you back up and proceeding. Seems to me there were a lot of folks wanting to get to SA and a lot of folks waiting in Joberg for a plane that never came to get them.

Taken that route several times. You will be on the ground about an hour. The chances of getting hit by space debris is greater than a mosquito sneaking on board. Just for grins, they will also spray the plane. No one will ever look at your vaccine card.

Royal did the Delta folks ever explain canceling flight 200 vs loading you back up and proceeding. Seems to me there were a lot of folks wanting to get to SA and a lot of folks waiting in Joberg for a plane that never came to get them.

Nope, but I'm sure it boiled down to time log rules for the crew. Just a blip in their machine....

I talked to several people who just had to cancel their trip and go back home, including a grandmother going to see grandkids for first time in 2 years. Those are the folks I feel sad for...

Last edited:
So true. Safe journey.

I hope the rest of your journey works out Royal. I was at Dulles in 2008 for my first trip to Africa and they had a medical emergency. It was very hot and humid....they unloaded the person along with their luggage we sat on the plane for 1.5 hrs and then left. The rest of the flight was uneventful.

Well, we made it to Johannesburg. We do have one small issue....guns and bags were off loaded in Ghana. They are trying to get them on a flight tonight but who knows if that will work out. I'll end up going to Bloemfontein in the morning in and then worst case get the bags on Sunday.

On a positive note, @Red Leg was correct. No issue with getting into South Africa because of the stop.

Oh well, it could always be worse. It'll work out one way or another!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!