First safari booked april/may 2021

Congratulations ! I booked my first safari about 18 months out, the time really flew by. I will echo what the others said about practicing of sticks and add that in my experience being able to get the shot off quickly was the difference between getting the shot or not. During my practice sessions the goal was to get the shot off within 2 seconds of the rifle settling in the sticks.

Congratulations you have much to look forward to’

You can't help but have a fantastic time.
And hunting with your son. Priceless.

Congrats, 18 months will give you a lot of time to plan and prepare!

Congrats, you two are going to have a great time (y)

That is my plan, I have a trigger stick tripod I use occasionally but have never practiced much with it. I've always gone prone whenever possible but know that likely won't be the case there
Yes, practice, practice, practice!!! I use a bolt action .22 for that. It's cheap to shoot and it doesn't teach me to flinch.

I have a couple bolt .22s and a 17hmr.
My son is left handed so won't be quite as effective as practicing with his hunting rifle but will still help getting on the sticks faster

I have a couple bolt .22s and a 17hmr.
My son is left handed so won't be quite as effective as practicing with his hunting rifle but will still help getting on the sticks faster
Yes, but if you can afford it, buy him a cheap, used, left-handed model. That way he'll be able to practice another of the important skills - cycling the bolt and getting back on target for a follow up shot.

Congratulations! There is nothing like a FIRST safari. 18 months sounds like a long time but it will fly by.

Yes, but if you can afford it, buy him a cheap, used, left-handed model. That way he'll be able to practice another of the important skills - cycling the bolt and getting back on target for a follow up shot.
Worst case scenario he has a 22-250 that can be practiced with much cheaper than his 300

Wade, check with the outfitter and see how much shooting will be done off of the sticks.

On my safari all of my shots except for a couple were from sitting using the sticks as a support. One of my shots, the impala I had to stand just to get above the brush between us and then make your decision on your practice sessions.

Wade, check with the outfitter and see how much shooting will be done off of the sticks.

On my safari all of my shots except for a couple were from sitting using the sticks as a support. One of my shots, the impala I had to stand just to get above the brush between us and then make your decision on your practice sessions.
Thank you,
He said a combination of sitting with some standing just like your experience

Ha! I was 18 months out 10 months ago. Time does not really fly by. :(

Buy some snap caps and do a ton of dry fire practice, off sticks, at home. Great therapy and cheaper than a shrink. :) (I broke the firing pin on a practice rifle, hence the snap caps).

Ha! I was 18 months out 10 months ago. Time does not really fly by. :(

Buy some snap caps and do a ton of dry fire practice, off sticks, at home. Great therapy and cheaper than a shrink. :) (I broke the firing pin on a practice rifle, hence the snap caps).
Good idea, I'll get some

My wife and I hunted with Henry in 2018 and had a really fun time! Henry, his wife Tanya, and their son, Henry Jr. (who was 6 years old at the time) were perfect hosts.

You and your son will definitely have a great hunt with Henry.

I look forward to reading your report.

My wife and I hunted with Henry in 2018 and had a really fun time! Henry, his wife Tanya, and their son, Henry Jr. (who was 6 years old at the time) were perfect hosts.

You and your son will definitely have a great hunt with Henry.

I look forward to reading your report.
Thank you for the report,
Always reassuring
Can't wait

Congrats. I was on here a few years ago just like you after booking my first trip. Spend time on here. Tons of good info. And try not to go down the rabbit hole of looking at pics while at work..... You'll get nothing done lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg