First little play with CEB Safari Raptors...

First bull from today - proper Old Man Nganabbarru - above the culling spring. My wife and I heard a little noise above us, so I scrambled up the bank and shot him quartering-on at about thirty metres. He dashed about forty metres and tipped-over dead. 475 grain CEB Safari Raptor doing 2330fps (need to keep developing the load to waltz a little faster).

View attachment 247477
Something like this bull exactly what I would like to take next year. I'll take age and that mass over length. I plan on using 50 cal 450 gr CEB bullets as well.

Something like this bull exactly what I would like to take next year. I'll take age and that mass over length. I plan on using 50 cal 450 gr CEB bullets as well.

Hey, John J! You’re in for an awesome time at Carmor Plains! And being coastal with better nutrition year-round you’ll see some absolute monsters! That .500MDM will be devastating on them.

That's great to hear. I'm thinking about taking my 2 kids with me. They will be 15 and 13 by then. I think we will have a great time. I need to get intouch with the outfitter and check pricing maybe throw in some pigs for the kids. I love these AU posts and pics. Keep them coming.

Some loading today with my next little box of 475 grain CEB Safari Raptor: 103 grains of 2208 gives 2363fps. 105 grains of 2208 gives 2415fps.

I realize this is an older thread but I wanted to give it a bump. I just purchased a 500 Jeff and I am about to start loading. I am a fan of the CEB bullets but I haven't got to employ them in a field situation yet. I have an elephant hunt coming up in a year and I hope to use them. From what I can see here the 475 Raptors and the 510 solids would be a good combo for the 500 Jeff. The AR 2208 you are using is the same as varget correct? If so I have a good bit of it on hand along with plenty of magnum primers

When loading for your 500J using Varget or RL 15 you should use a Foam Filler either a Kynoch Foam filler that you can purchase, (I buy mine from Trader Keith) or a Foam Backer Rod from the hardware store. This is according to the Woodleigh Manual...
I just finished working up loads for a 505 Gibbs and CEB's 525 solid and 485 Raptor using load data from Woodleigh's Manual as a guide.
I chose RL 15 as a powder for my 505 with recoil management in mind but, when using a low weight charge with a fast burning powder you should and Woodleigh recommends use a Foam Filler. I am driving the 525gr CEB solid a little over 2300fps and that is the load that I used when filing in the sights. For the 485gr Raptor I needed a few extra grains of powder to get the bullets landing close enough.
Because the CEB Bullet is of a Bore Riding design it produces less pressure than a typical bullet less pressure is less velocity so you will need a few grains more to achieve your desired speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross