First experience with the new firearms export system

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm getting ready for a BC bear hunt next month and I was considering taking my gun, so I decided to delve into the new system and get it figured out. Decorum does prevent me from using the words I used last night.

I already have my EIN, so I was good there.

I signed up for the AES, then took the quiz to be certified (nobody told me there was a test on this) I failed it, retook it and passed (I have the answers if anybody wants them). I logged into the AES to do the EEI and it would not let me as I am an administrator on the account. So I created myself another account a user, did my EEI and it generated a ------------- Wait for it------------Fatal error.

I logged out and retried it, it then told me I could not ship to myself. At this point I'm drinking and tired. so I gave up and called the help desk this morning. Needless to say she was not that helpful, but she was polite.

still no TIN.

My thoughts are that the system is needlessly complicated and the average user will struggle, especially when it come to the harmonized codes for the firearms and the ammo. But oddly enough my real struggle was with creating a password for the account(s) it must be 12 letters, a mix of upper and lower case numbers and symbols. but it cannot contain any dictionary words.

Great, a guy who can manage fairly well on the internet is having trouble. :rolleyes:

I'll suggest an excellent PW for you.

The guy who thought this up is: DuMb-a5-a_SACK_uF-ha88er5

"fairly well" I'll take that as a compliment today.

Three more calls and 2 beers later, Yahtzee. form submitted, now its waiting for approval. This new system is going to hurt international hunting.

The AES operator told me you are required to file with them for anything over $2,500 in value, even personal effects.
This sounds a lot like the US gov is looking for another way to gauge our assets as well as create a backdoor gun registration........hmmmmmmm.

If anybody needs a hand, please feel free to call me

Good luck James.

Bottom line, I am waiting on how this shakes down before i book a hunt.

I have talked to my accountant and it is very important on getting your IRS account right, so that you do not have to file taxes yearly and or be penalized monthly for not filing. I provided a brief overview of what i was looking at doing and he suggested that i hold off until things settle down. I let him know that i was maybe looking at returning to Africa in 2016, to go after different animals than i have previously been successful with.

However, if this is not sorted out soon, we will be booking a tour to Ireland, wales and Scotland for 2016.

Thanks James,

I believe if there is no income associated with the EIN, you should not have to file. Maybe...

But oddly enough my real struggle was with creating a password for the account(s) it must be 12 letters, a mix of upper and lower case numbers and symbols. but it cannot contain any dictionary words.

Supercalifragilisticexpeali.......... oh never mind, Brickburns is better.

But oddly enough my real struggle was with creating a password for the account(s) it must be 12 letters, a mix of upper and lower case numbers and symbols. but it cannot contain any dictionary words.

That was by far the most difficult part of the entire process for me! As someone who builds software for a living this was the first clue to me that whoever built the AES site doesn't have a clue. The ironic thing is that they think they are making their site more secure by doing this but it guarantees that no human can remember it and must write it down on a piece of paper. Plus they make you change that password constantly.

I had more problem developing a password than anything else, 2 passwords for one transaction....asinine. This system was never designed for what it is requiring the INDVIDUAL for traveling with a weapon out of the country for personal use..but are you really surprised..?

its like logging into the NSA.

So your the guy with the top secret clearance.

170px-DonAdams.jpg

Have to agree not the most user friendly system at all...it is doable though. For those that are worried the test is open book you just have to search out the answers. As James states you can answer till you get them right. My advice make sure you write every user name, password, and number you assign down as you can't look back and find what you did. As much as I like the sackohammers password if you need one just google password generator and you'll find lots of random password generators. I used the Norton one.

I think mine all went through but does anyone know how long it takes to get the ITN number back? I did it late yesterday for trip to RSA in three weeks and am wondering if I should call them?

I got my EIN and for $80 Gracy Travel is getting some company to do it all for me. Sounds like a typical government system. Actually I can't believe how much trouble it is to do all the paperwork for the overnight with my guns in RSA on way to Namibia. I think I should have gone Frankford-Windhoek instead.
Regards
Philip

I think mine all went through but does anyone know how long it takes to get the ITN number back? I did it late yesterday for trip to RSA in three weeks and am wondering if I should call them?

I got my ITN right away. Make sure you have your pop up blocker turned off. I didn't and the first time I hit submit I thought it went through but it didn't because the pop-up window I needed to do the next step never showed up.

Thanks Brushmore....I thought it was but no ITN yet so I will go back in and try again. More paperwork great!

Guys this IS gun registration and asset assessment! There isn't another reasonable justification to require you to report private property to the government. There's a reason why they buried the language in an obscure statue change during an election year and slowly rolled it out just now. Another end-run around congress.

We just got flanked
"fairly well" I'll take that as a compliment today.

Three more calls and 2 beers later, Yahtzee. form submitted, now its waiting for approval. This new system is going to hurt international hunting.

The AES operator told me you are required to file with them for anything over $2,500 in value, even personal effects.
This sounds a lot like the US gov is looking for another way to gauge our assets as well as create a backdoor gun registration........hmmmmmmm.

If anybody needs a hand, please feel free to call me

Who's my Congressman?

Found HER and sent a note probably won't hear back as she is a big bamster supported

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg