First Africa trip shipping estimates

My bitching, if that is what we want to call it, is with the high price paid at the airline's warehouse. Then Coppersmith knowing that I had a warthog in the crate, and for some reason didn't warn me of the warehouse cost, and they (Coppersmith) didn't pick up the crate and saved me some $$$$. Luckily for me, this will be the last time I do any full mounts, from now on I'll only do Euromounts. I don't have any more room in my house. LMAO!!!!
Hell yeah I'd be pretty pissed at coppersmith, I've always heard great things about them. They definitely dropped the ball on that one. So your crate cost about $3800 to ship total?
Hahaha I can't wait til I get some African mounts in my house so I can start just doing euros or pictures!!

This was totally unlike my experience with Coppersmiths, I’ve used them 3 times, I’m a little surprised that they didn’t try to help you out because it was THEIR mistake. Probably would’ve happened with euros as well.

Thanks for the info, I'm using trophy shippers for the clearance and they told me to plan on sending my crate to a USDA taxidermist because I have Vervet monkey, wart hog, bush pig, and ostrich. It's all finished taxidermy work but they claim fish & game or whoever is making them ship to USDA facility, even though it's finished work. Quite a runaround no matter what you do lol
I had a shipment back in 2021 had baboon and bushpig mounts as well as euro mounts of them. USDA inspected them but since they were finished taxidermy they didn’t have to be sent to a separate facility. Raw skins and skulls are a whole different ball game.

I had a shipment back in 2021 had baboon and bushpig mounts as well as euro mounts of them. USDA inspected them but since they were finished taxidermy they didn’t have to be sent to a separate facility. Raw skins and skulls are a whole different ball game.
Yep , I think that's the way it should be but trophy shippers said they been insisting on sending them to a USDA facility the last couple years. I'm gonna have them ship right to my house if they'll let me. But trophy shippers wants me to line up a taxidermist just in case. My wart hog is shoulder mounted, ostrich is a euro mount and a bunch of feathers, bush pig is euro and tanned hide, monkey is euro mount and tanned hide.

I guess we all need to realize shipping and inspections is a very fluid proposition unfortunately. They seem to change daily, if not a fact at least in perception.

I guess we all need to realize shipping and inspections is a very fluid proposition unfortunately. They seem to change daily, if not a fact at least in perception.
I agree, I think one should plan for the worst and hope for the best lol

This was totally unlike my experience with Coppersmiths, I’ve used them 3 times, I’m a little surprised that they didn’t try to help you out because it was THEIR mistake. Probably would’ve happened with euros as well.

They admitted that they dropped the ball, and took $100.00 off the bill and apologized for their screw up :rolleyes:. I will also pay their fees in two payments. They claimed they couldn’t do anything with the airline, which I know it’s BS, I was a Freight Forwarder office manager, and I know there are ways to deal with the airlines and they’ll work with you, but you need to ask. I don’t believe they asked the question at all.

On my next trip to RSA, I'm going to have Afton House arrange to have the skins fully tanned in South Africa, then shipped directly to my taxidermist in the USA.....no storage, no transfer, no other BS fees. I hope. Looks like the savings are in the 30%-50% range. I think Richard Lendrum has done a solid with quality control thru all the steps. I'm gonna try to cut Coppersmith out of my life................FWB

I know the taxidermists use the skulls. Could that be cut out the equation as well? Skulls weight a lot…..I am sure taxidermist could use a mold or something for the skull plate?
Horns could then be shipped in a very small crate.

I don't know of any taxidermist that use skulls in their mounts except for a couple.

The heads are foam and already attached to the rest of the mount.

I don't know of any taxidermist that use skulls in their mounts except for a couple.

The heads are foam and already attached to the rest of the mount.
Many I have seen don’t use the whole skull but they do use the part that the horns attach to and a portion of the skull plate.

They will use the skull plates incentive they need what the horns or antlers were attached to but that's it

I received welcome news today, my crate of skulls and hides had arrived this past Sunday into Chicago, cleared customs this afternoon and should arrive here in Cincinnati tomorrow (did have a warthog skull in there). I did have a concern that my crate could possibly sit in a warehouse for a few weeks. I am using Trophy Shippers. Communication has been good through the entire process beginning back in July 2022 (first spoke with Tom Kelly, now working with John Schwartzbauer).

@Trogon, those are some great news, congrats!!!

@Trogon, those are some great news, congrats!!!
Thank you, @PARA45 , yes I agree. This was a topic of discussion while working this morning, a pleasant surprise of a phone call and emails about an hour later from Trophy Shippers.

Hopefully all of the snafus in shipping over the last few years are behind us. Probably wishful thinking but we can all dream. Congratulations Trojan on the shipment.

Hopefully all of the snafus in shipping over the last few years are behind us. Probably wishful thinking but we can all dream. Congratulations Trojan on the shipment.
Lol. I'll take Trojan as a compliment, better than what I usually get called!

I got a buffalo and a baboon in Mozambique in August of 2021.

I've paid $3,522.79 in dipping/packing/and shipping so far, and they still haven't made it to Atlanta.

I'm sure I'll have to peel off a few more $100 bills with Coppersmith when they arrive.

It's going to be $3,000 more for the taxidermy in the US for 2 shoulder mounts.
(Buff - $2,300, Baboon - $700)

(In 2007, I had 7 shoulder mounts, 4 back skins, a zebra rug, and a zebra leg lamp done in South Africa for $1,200. Freight for all to Atlanta was $600)

I blame Bidenflation!

If the animals were taken in South Africa, I could subtract $1,000 in shipping cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!