First Africa trip shipping estimates

I would think your person clearing the animals should be able to give you an exact fee for customs, USF&G and their fee but not on storage fees except the daily rate and you should know the shipping charge the day they ship, am I correct?

I have eight animals at a taxidermist in Limpopo that will be ready to ship in a few months so I emailed Zingela forwarders and they gave me an estimate of $1230 for crating, air freight to Baltimore MD and $8800 in insurance. They made a guesstimate on the crate size and weight but I'm hoping it will be close. Trophy shippers was thinking about $400 to clear it and $500 local shipping to my house, and God knows how much for storage fees.
I might get a couple more estimates but I don't think $1230 is too bad for the times. Like everyone else, I'm paying close attention to storage fees.

I have a shipment of 6 euros, full skin of red hartebeest my wife wanted and a zebra rug. Shipping from RSA to ORD was around $900. Right now it is being held captive in ATL by FWS, broker is trying to get it expedited out of there, I am only at $200 in storage fees, so am sure they will hold it for another week or so.

I paid $390 in storage fees today for my crate which should be shipped out tomorrow I think/hope from ATL to my taxidermist here in SC. Shipment arrived Thursday from across the pond and cleared today.

I paid $390 in storage fees today for my crate which should be shipped out tomorrow I think/hope from ATL to my taxidermist here in SC. Shipment arrived Thursday from across the pond and cleared today.
Who did you use for clearing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm being hammered by Turkish Airlines for $1235 in storage fees. It's phucking criminal, and they get away with it. It's costing more for storage that what I paid for my crate to get here from SA. :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe because it sat the weekend? Not sure. Arrived late Thursday. There was a storm hit Friday. Cleared Monday/ Tuesday

What I am a little iffy on is a trucking company picks the crate up and puts it in their warehouse until a driver is available to deliver to my taxidermist. Would feel better if they would pick it up and drive straight to delivery but I understand that’s probably not realistic these days.

That doesn't sound too bad, all things considered.

Are the storage fees from them not clearing it sooner?

Maybe because it sat the weekend? Not sure. Arrived late Thursday. There was a storm hit Friday. Cleared Monday/ Tuesday

Instead of Coppersmith picking up my crate from the airport after it was cleared by US Wildlife, Coppersmith left the crate there, and my crate sat at Turkish Airline warehouse for an additional 4 days, turning into 9 days of storage at $137.22 per day for a 79 lbs crate.

Here is a breakdown:

Terminal Handling - Airline Charges - $225.00
Airline Storage Charges - $1235.00
Warehousing - $50.00
Custom Entry Fee - $325.00
APHIS - $25.00
Delivery - $525.39
Total: $2,385.39

This is what I quoted by Coppersmith:
Terminal Handling - Airline Charges - 215.00
Airport Transfer - $125.00
Warehousing - 50.00
APHIS & Additional Lines Fee - $34.00
Delivery to TX - $375.20
Total: $1,115.20

Charges from SA to GA:
Cartage - $65.00
Fumigation Charges - $56.00
Warehouse Handling - $25.00
Handling & Disbursement - $83.36
Airfreight - $793.95
Airwaybill Fee - $30.00
Export Documentation - $65.00
Permit Application & Courier - $135.00
Transit Insurance - $81.71
Currency Adjustment Factor - $33.38
Agency Fee - $60.08
Total: 1,428.47

Coppersmith admitted their mistake, but there is nothing they can do with the airline's storage fees. What the airlines are doing is criminal, and they are getting away with it. It was cheaper to ship this crate by air, than what the airlines charges for storage. Crazy!!!!!

As much as I like hunting warthogs, I will not bring another one home. It's a PIA and because my crate had a hog, my crate couldn't be transfer to Coppersmith's warehouses. These are the little things that we learn after getting screwed. I hope this help the next hunter.

Instead of Coppersmith picking up my crate from the airport after it was cleared by US Wildlife, Coppersmith left the crate there, and my crate sat at Turkish Airline warehouse for an additional 4 days, turning into 9 days of storage at $137.22 per day for a 79 lbs crate.

Here is a breakdown:

Warehousing - $50.00
APHIS - $25.00
Delivery - $525.39

Warehousing - 50.00
Delivery to TX - $375.20

Charges from SA to GA:
Cartage - $65.00
Airfreight - $793.95
Airwaybill Fee - $30.00
Agency Fee - $60.08

Coppersmith admitted their mistake, but there is nothing they can do with the airline's storage fees. What the airlines are doing is criminal, and they are getting away with it. It was cheaper to ship this crate by air, than what the airlines charges for storage. Crazy!!!!!

As much as I like hunting warthogs, I will not bring another one home. It's a PIA and because my crate had a hog, my crate couldn't be transfer to Coppersmith's warehouses. These are the little things that we learn after getting screwed. I hope this help the next hunter.
Man, that's fucked up. I can't wait to take it up the tailpipe when my stuff is ready. The whole thing sounds like a scam, and it also sounds like there is no recourse. I'm hoping trophy shippers does me proud, but I have no control. It just sucks.

Here is a breakdown:

Warehousing - $50.00
APHIS - $25.00
Delivery - $525.39

Warehousing - 50.00
Delivery to TX - $375.20

Charges from SA to GA:
Cartage - $65.00
Airfreight - $793.95
Airwaybill Fee - $30.00
Agency Fee - $60.08

What African shipping company did your taxidermist use? I'm just curious, mine uses Zingela forwarders.

Para45, was this finished taxidermy or dip&pack? swine and primates have to go to a USDA facility. I’ve had both finished and raw pigs come in country and the raw went through a customs broker and then the taxidermist. The finished went to coppersmiths warehouse were I picked it up. The raw shipment was in Chicago at D&L customs broker.

What African shipping company did your taxidermist use? I'm just curious, mine uses Zingela forwarders.

Para45, was this finished taxidermy or dip&pack? swine and primates have to go to a USDA facility. I’ve had both finished and raw pigs come in country and the raw went through a customs broker and then the taxidermist. The finished went to coppersmiths warehouse were I picked it up. The raw shipment was in Chicago at D&L customs broker.

The African export company was African Trophy Exports, and they were wonderful to deal with, great communications, and no hidden fees or surprises with them. What they quoted me is what I paid.

This was dip & pack. My apologies, I should have clarified that on the warthog. The guy from Coppersmith knew that I had a warthog in my crate, and he told me that the crate was going to go to their warehouse, which did not happen.

The African export company was African Trophy Exports, and they were wonderful to deal with, great communications, and no hidden fees or surprises with them. What they quoted me is what I paid.

This was dip & pack. My apologies, I should have clarified that on the warthog. The guy from Coppersmith knew that I had a warthog in my crate, and he told me that the crate was going to go to their warehouse, which did not happen.
Thanks for the info, I'm using trophy shippers for the clearance and they told me to plan on sending my crate to a USDA taxidermist because I have Vervet monkey, wart hog, bush pig, and ostrich. It's all finished taxidermy work but they claim fish & game or whoever is making them ship to USDA facility, even though it's finished work. Quite a runaround no matter what you do lol

My bitching, if that is what we want to call it, is with the high price paid at the airline's warehouse. Then Coppersmith knowing that I had a warthog in the crate, and for some reason didn't warn me of the warehouse cost, and they (Coppersmith) didn't pick up the crate and saved me some $$$$. Luckily for me, this will be the last time I do any full mounts, from now on I'll only do Euromounts. I don't have any more room in my house. LMAO!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg