First Africa trip shipping estimates

Shane1523

Reaction score
Hello, I got invited out of the blue by a buddy to tag along on a week long hunting trip to SA. He won the trip in a auction and his wife said he’ll no to going. I was not expecting the trip and therefore was not saving for such a expedition, but we got our flights for a good price and I have been setting aside plenty of money every month. I plan on being somewhat frugal if possible with animals (blesbuck, Impala, gemsbok and warthog). Also plan on doing euro mounts or bleached skulls for all animals and maybe a few hides. Can anyone give me a ballpark for shipping/ exporting costs back to the states and the timeline of payments needed to be made. Thanks in advance

Crate cost is dependent on weight and size. Destination from and to is a factor. Rising fuel cost is a factor. For euro mounts dip and ship is the way to go. The exception is warthog. It is swine and is easier to get back into the US if it has been already been mounted.

Ballpark guesstimate- $1000 USD +. You have to take into consideration taxidermy processing cost of skulls/skins, exporter charges, freight cost and import broker fee.

From my hunt in July, I was charged $116 per animal for dip and pack services. Figure in roughly $500 for permitting, documents, etc etc on the South African side. My air freight out of Johannesburg was $600. Domestic freight was closer $800. Customs gets a cut, plus terminal storage fees, import paperwork to the US. Everyone dips their hand in the cookie jar. I had to put 50% down with my guys in South Africa to start the prep work. The balance wasn't due in full until it was ready to be put on the plane. My US based taxidermist required 50% down as well once the capes and horns reached them. I only had one euro mount done here with a fancy mount and it was quoted at $375 for an impala. My backskins are being done here at $175 a piece. Hope that helps a little.

Shane 1523-

Where area are you hunting in South Africa. What province?

Would it make since to have the skulls bleached and skins tanned by a taxidermist in SA if the price is fair and shipped back to save on shipping weight?

Check @LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY
for pricing for Euro Skull Shield mounts and skins. Not sure if they just do bleached skulls, but probably. Mine are on the way right now, but it's hard to compare since I have a mix of shoulder and euros. They can provide you a Taxidermy and freight estimates if you request.

Allow 10% of Taxidermy costs for crating, plus there are some fixed costs in addition to the actual air freight.. My hunting buddy has 9 coming - all Euro shield mounts and his shipping and Misc fees to DFW were around $2,800. The customs broker on the US side will add another $600 or more. Then add ground freight if you need shipping from your nearest international airport.

And you will most likely shoot more animals than you planned for. AMHIK:)

Look for recent related threads in this forum.

Thanks for all the info and reply’s. It’s all helpful and appreciated!!

Hi @Shane1523 . If there's anyway I can help, drop me a personal message with your email and I will get our offices to contact you directly. Kind regards. Guy

Hello, I got invited out of the blue by a buddy to tag along on a week long hunting trip to SA. He won the trip in a auction and his wife said he’ll no to going. I was not expecting the trip and therefore was not saving for such a expedition, but we got our flights for a good price and I have been setting aside plenty of money every month. I plan on being somewhat frugal if possible with animals (blesbuck, Impala, gemsbok and warthog). Also plan on doing euro mounts or bleached skulls for all animals and maybe a few hides. Can anyone give me a ballpark for shipping/ exporting costs back to the states and the timeline of payments needed to be made. Thanks in advance
To get your trophies home I’d plan on on
$100/animal dip and pack (veterinary approved cleaned skulls and salted skins) or Euro mounts per South African taxidermy price list. Ask your outfitter for the taxidermy he work with regularly. Payment 2 weeks to 6 months after your hunt.
$1000 ship to port of entry in USA. Estimate payment 4-6 months after your hunt.
$500 to custom broker to clear trophies at port of entry. Estimate payment 6 months after your hunt.
$500 shipping to final destination in USA. Estimate payment 6 months after your hunt.

You can ship all in one crate if you guys put all your trophies into just one of your names. Then you can divide the costs. If your trophies are in two names you’ll need two crates. Save some trouble too and don’t bring back warthog skin, just skull and tusks. Warthog skin requires usda taxidermy in USA and more strict procedures.

@
To get your trophies home I’d plan on on
$100/animal dip and pack (veterinary approved cleaned skulls and salted skins) or Euro mounts per South African taxidermy price list. Ask your outfitter for the taxidermy he work with regularly. Payment 2 weeks to 6 months after your hunt.
$1000 ship to port of entry in USA. Estimate payment 4-6 months after your hunt.
$500 to custom broker to clear trophies at port of entry. Estimate payment 6 months after your hunt.
$500 shipping to final destination in USA. Estimate payment 6 months after your hunt.

You can ship all in one crate if you guys put all your trophies into just one of your names. Then you can divide the costs. If your trophies are in two names you’ll need two crates. Save some trouble too and don’t bring back warthog skin, just skull and tusks. Warthog skin requires usda taxidermy in USA and more strict procedures.
@375Fox, thanks for taking the time to explain all that it was exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it

About 2 months ago we received our Safari from SA,
18 animals for 2 hunters including 1 Cape buffalo and 1 giraffe ( which dip and pack is more)
Total cost for dip and pack , crating , air freight, customs, permits, 2 crates.
Taxidermy company we used was awesome to work with
If you have any more questions please let me know
Thanks Todd

I just wanted to provide a little update,I have been working with the great people at Life-Form Taxidermy on estimated taxidermy cost and shipping estimates. Life-form also gave me some contacts for Customs Brokers here in Colorado. So far I would absolutely recommend them to anyone like me that is trying to figure out how this works for the first time. Between Carla (initial contact and setup info) to Deidre (estimates and questions answered) they have been very straight forward and helpful with all my questions. Looking forward to the trip and sending off my trophies to them to get finished up. Also thanks again for all the responses.

Just paid the bill for my taxidermy from South Africa to Atlanta. As I am sure you are aware, the prices have risen SIGNIFICANTLY over the last while. Freight charges for cape buff, nyala, blesbok, impala, and springbok shoulder mounts, plus the remainder of the buffalo leather, a jackal hide, and a couple of backskins from Joberg ro Atlanta is $5,200. Add to that the $525 for Coppersmith to handle the paperwork, and any "additional airline and storage fees". Luckily, I am within a couple hours' drive of ATL, so I don't foresee the storage fees (read "I'm hoping and praying there aren't any"), as I'll head down there personally once I get the green light.

Can someone explain the "clearing agent" part to me and what that entails?
I'm having my Taxidermy done in RSA, then shipped sea cargo to the Port of Houston.
I have a friend who works with DHX Hawaii, a company that specializes in getting cargo here to the Islands. He'll help me set up delivery from Houston to Oahu. At what point will I need the clearing agent and what is it that they do?
Thanks

@oahufish
It might be worth checking to see if your RSA Taxidermy already has a preferred US Customs agent. Mine had several, depending on what US receiving airport I wanted. The Taxi, freight company and your customs agent all have to coordinate.

It looks like you need someone who works the Port of Houston. You need to know who, and touch base with them on what charges to expect and how to get it to DHX.

To clarify- my crate went from Life-Form Taxidermy to their preferred shipping agent - Safari Air Cargo. Safari Air Cargo then booked it to DFW on Turkish Airlines (days later) and also coordinated with my US Customs Agent, Hunter International.

Hunter International cleared the crate with US Customs and booked it onto a ground freight truck the same day. There was a one day airpirt storage fee since Customs cleared it the day after it arrived at DFW.

I was happy with my dealings with everyone involved, btw.

Look into combining the shipment w/ your friend's to spare expense...it will take awhile before everyone in the chain requires payment (months-sometimes 1 yr.)

Hi @Shane1523 . If there's anyway I can help, drop me a personal message with your email and I will get our offices to contact you directly. Kind regards. Guy
Hi Guy, Please clarify, is the crate charge 10% or 20% of the taxidermy work? I see a post that says 10% from May but my recent quote indicates 20%. I appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg