First .375 on the way!

I know what you mean about leaving home. The farm I grew up on was pioneered by my ancestors. My wife’s family farmed in Pugwash and Digby. In fact my wife’s grandfather kept the lighthouse in Pugwash (it was on his farm). Our ancestors left England and Scotland for Canada in pursuit of freedom and opportunity. The Canada I grew up in still held on to that. I think your point on the constitutional differences is right on point. I also think that the US system of government has a much better set of checks and balances than the parliamentary system. There was inspired genius in the design of the US system.

I know what you mean about leaving home. The farm I grew up on was pioneered by my ancestors. My wife’s family farmed in Pugwash and Digby. In fact my wife’s grandfather kept the lighthouse in Pugwash (it was on his farm). Our ancestors left England and Scotland for Canada in pursuit of freedom and opportunity. The Canada I grew up in still held on to that. I think your point on the constitutional differences is right on point. I also think that the US system of government has a much better set of checks and balances than the parliamentary system. There was inspired genius in the design of the US system.

My great grandfather was the son of estate steward for one of English lord houses, after being evicted from school he was forcibly enlisted and disowned. We're unsure exactly how old he was when he fought the boars as he lied about his age so much on military records they can't even give us a definite answer. Closest geuss would put him between 13-16 while in Africa he somehow managed to accumulate enough wealth that after the war he purchased almost six square miles of land. He went on to be wounded at vimmy and a drill Sargent in ww2. He had 13 children that lived. The land was devided after his death but through the efforts of my grandfather and then my father weve been able to put together several of the adjoining family lots to total around 900 acres. So for me to consider leaving is a serious step.

I actually just priced a hunt on the rock any experience with gander river outfitters?
Our moose is on a lottery and I can't seem to get drawn. I try not to let "need" influence my decisions with regards to guns. I find "want" and I get along much better in that regard.

Sorry I'm late to this party/ post but is as catching up watching epoxy set. Congratulations on a superb firearm. As I never have stepped foot at gander River outfitters lodge but I know the owner personally as we shared a nf bear/ moose camp the year before he bought this lodge and have stayed in contact regularly. I can vouch for him being a great hard working guide and just a damn nice person. Good way to test drive the .375

IMG_0412.JPG
Got it sighted properly today thanks @WAB for your advice it made a lot of difference.

Sounds like a good deer load. I may try that sometime. (Not that I can use it on deer in Illinois)

i think it going to be just the ticket for deer, I feel bad for my .270. I know I'm going to carry the .375 for bear if I come up with a deer load I'm happy with the .270 will end up jobless.

Illinois state law. Shotguns with slugs or muzzle loaders. No rifles. I would guess their concern is about hunting accidents, but I don’t know.

That sucks for all large game or just deer? Can you still shoot coyotes with a rifle?

@Skinnersblade the laws in the states get really stupid at times. Especially the hunting laws. I have hunted in places where my .375 is all too welcome outside of deer season for anything, but thou shalt not kill a deer with a rifle. All of a sudden it's dangerous. They pawn a lot of things off on safety.

Last edited:
That sucks for all large game or just deer? Can you still shoot coyotes with a rifle?
I could hunt a coyote or groundhog with a 338 lapua if I want, but not deer. However our shotgun season is for two weekends, and so many people hunt during that time’ that I’m not sure I want people to have rifles. I hear a lot more three shot strings than single shots, indicating that a lot of hunters don’t know how to shoot.

I could hunt a coyote or groundhog with a 338 lapua if I want, but not deer. However our shotgun season is for two weekends, and so many people hunt during that time’ that I’m not sure I want people to have rifles. I hear a lot more three shot strings than single shots, indicating that a lot of hunters don’t know how to shoot.
Haha! That gave me a chuckle. My Dad and I used to stand together a lot and we'd always laugh and say Miss! Miss! Miss! after the three rapid shot serenade.
When they lifted the magazine limit in Virginia I killed a deer running hard once at very close quarters on the fifth shot. I had a very tight choke installed and the presentation was very close. My saving grace was 3gun experience and I was able to get the make-ups on track rapidly. Shots one and two went high. There was a very poor 3rd shot that connected too far back. The 4th shot took out the right ear running dead away and the fifth turned off the headlights. Without the competition experience I wouldn't have had a chance shooting that fast.

Glad you’re safe @Skinnersblade. A family friend and her spouse were among the casualties. Shot and then their house burned down on top of them. It is surreal to think that this happened in Nova Scotia. Truly great folks. The lady was a coworker of my sister-in-law at an anti sex trafficking ministry.
WAB
You have our condolences from Australia, unfortunately there are sick people every where. Our prayers are with you and the people affected by this senseless act.
Cheers mate Bob

Reactions: WAB
Haha! That gave me a chuckle. My Dad and I used to stand together a lot and we'd always laugh and say Miss! Miss! Miss! after the three rapid shot serenade.
When they lifted the magazine limit in Virginia I killed a deer running hard once at very close quarters on the fifth shot. I had a very tight choke installed and the presentation was very close. My saving grace was 3gun experience and I was able to get the make-ups on track rapidly. Shots one and two went high. There was a very poor 3rd shot that connected too far back. The 4th shot took out the right ear running dead away and the fifth turned off the headlights. Without the competition experience I wouldn't have had a chance shooting that fast.
Forrest Halley
You didn't miss buddy you were firing warning shots ,ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois