Firearms through Frankfurt when leaving the airport

Could one one of you guys provide the email addres you used? I tried the one in my post on the first page and also one at link here on AH and both emails bounced back.

Could one one of you guys provide the email addres you used? I tried the one in my post on the first page and also one at link here on AH and both emails bounced back.

For a Price I'll share it Phil. :) Hans' Address at the bottom Phil.
There is one Windhoek Lager on your tab.

"By the way, I just sent him this request:

Hans Walther, I would like to obtain your further assistance on another permutation of the firearm issue.
I will describe the scenario:
1. Arriving from the USA (or other NON EU country) with a destination of Windhoek, Namibia
2. They Checked their firearm and ammunition through to their final destination

Does this person require a firearms travel permit in Germany?

I hope to share your reply with other hunters to help avoid any conflicts or concerns

Thank you.
"

"Waffen-, Jagd-, und Fischereiwesen, Amt 32" <wjf.amt32@stadt-frankfurt.de>

For a Price I'll share it Phil. :) Hans' Address at the bottom Phil.
There is one Windhoek Lager on your tab.

"By the way, I just sent him this request:

Hans Walther, I would like to obtain your further assistance on another permutation of the firearm issue.
I will describe the scenario:
1. Arriving from the USA (or other NON EU country) with a destination of Windhoek, Namibia
2. They Checked their firearm and ammunition through to their final destination

Does this person require a firearms travel permit in Germany?

I hope to share your reply with other hunters to help avoid any conflicts or concerns

Thank you.
"

"Waffen-, Jagd-, und Fischereiwesen, Amt 32" <wjf.amt32@stadt-frankfurt.de>

I don't care what I've read about you on various forums......you're a good man BB! :D As far as the Windhoek Lager goes, I may very well be able to put my hands on some here in Phoenix. We have a shop that specializes in brews from all over the world. But you might have to come to DSC or SCI to collect, not sure I could carry that into Canada.

Please post the reply you get to your latest email to the good sir Hans.

Phil,,, Find me some Amstel Lager (not light!!) !!

Phil,,, Find me some Amstel Lager (not light!!) !!

Might be able to actually. Next time I'm up that way, it's about 15 miles away, I'll check.

I sure hope so! Every attempt I have made has come to naut!! Windhoek Lager is good too!!
You could always send me a couple cases of that!!:doh2:
Thanks Phil!!

Phil,
Bring one extra beer for the border guard and you would be fine.
I may just have to see this DSC or SCI one of these days and match faces so I can avoid you in the bosveld. :)

The reply/answer to the question I presented to Hans:

"On 2012-07-19, at 11:34 PM, Waffen-, Jagd-, und Fischereiwesen, Amt 32 wrote:

Hello,

when a tourist arrives with his hunting- or sporting-weapons in Frankfurt and will change to an aircraft to foreign countries, he needs a transit permit. Most tourists use the same route for the journey home - this is so on the form.

You need my approval at the customs in Frankfurt. The luggage is always checked with X-rays. If you do not have my permission, it can be trouble.

When you land in another city in Germany, for example in Munich, the permit issued by my colleagues in Munich.

I hope I have answered your questions

Hans Walther"

Now, given the perceptions that people have presented here in this thread I asked the following this morning, just to make sure:

"Hans Walther, Thank you for your quick reply.
I know someone is going to ask me for clarification, so I will split hairs with you right now and perhaps save you a huge influx of emails.

There are many hunters with the following understanding:
If I check my Firearms through to the destination (Third Country, Windhoek Namibia) from my home country (Canada, USA) I do not have to get a transit or travel permit in Germany as I never take possession of the firearm in Germany.
The firearm stays in the custody of the Air Carrier for the entire flight and I never touch the firearm in Germany.
In effect, the Firearm never enters Germany. (technically)

This is the fine point that I want cleared up. There are several hunters saying they have never obtained the travel/transit permit because they check the firearm through to destination as above.

(I know that transiting Amsterdam you have to have a transit permit for your firearm whether you take possession of it or not. Perhaps it is the same in Germany and these hunters have just not been stopped or asked questions before.)

Thank you for your patience and assistance."

I will let you know the answer I get.

If your luggage is checked through to Windhoek you do not need any permits for the Germans. I just went through Frankfort and had no problems with firearms. My travel agent assured me of this. Coming home I did make the mistake of not checking them all the way to Kansas City because I thought they would have to clear customs in Atlanta. They called me to the Delta desk in Frankfaurt and changed for all the way to Kansas City. I still cleared customs with them in Atlanta and then they went back on the plane. I think it pays to use a travel agent that is familiar with booking flights for hunters. Also Delta and Air Namibia have a bagage agreement

If your luggage is checked through to Windhoek you do not need any permits for the Germans. I just went through Frankfort and had no problems with firearms. My travel agent assured me of this. Coming home I did make the mistake of not checking them all the way to Kansas City because I thought they would have to clear customs in Atlanta. They called me to the Delta desk in Frankfaurt and changed for all the way to Kansas City. I still cleared customs with them in Atlanta and then they went back on the plane. I think it pays to use a travel agent that is familiar with booking flights for hunters. Also Delta and Air Namibia have a bagage agreement

lwaters, I get it and appreciate that lots of people have gone through Frankfurt without permits having checked their bags all the way to destination.

Hans is not a travel agent. He is the
Director of the Weapons Authority Frankfurt am Main

Perhaps he and I are having a language issue.
I am just making sure for my own benefit and others.

If this guy says get a permit, who are you going to believe, A Travel Agent or the guy that can charge you with an offence?
It is everyones personal decision what they do with their time, money and property.

The only thing I noticed going through Frankfurt was that they toke me in a room and checked my binoculars going and comming home. They ask if I was hunting and I said yes never was I asked for a permit. A man from California told me he got a day room and left his guns with customs. I not real sure but I think he said he filled the permit out at the customs office. I do not know if his airlines had a baggage aggrement with Air Namibia. The next time I go I think I will fly from Atlanta to RSA and then to Windhoke. I will stay at the Afton House and let them deal with the weapons. That 11 hour lay over in Germany sucked and they charged a fortune for beer at the airport. I have found out that it is better to act stupid instead of arguing.

I have found out that it is better to act stupid instead of arguing.

Thats why I make out so well, I dont have to act!!!

lwaters, did you proposed route last trip. I'll compare experiences and see which is more distasteful/pleasant.

The reply to the last question asking for clarification:

After a weekend off, we have passed the language barrier and Hans has confirmed people's permitting experiences.

I'll be getting my permit. Good hunting everyone.

"On 2012-07-23, at 12:20 AM, Waffen-, Jagd-, und Fischereiwesen, Amt 32 wrote:

Hello Mr. B,

If the weapons come from the transit area on German territory you needs a transit permit. In the flights from the U.S. to Namibia that is so often.

The weapons are unloaded from the aircraft and drove around the airport for Air Namibia and loaded again. If the weapons remain in the transit area, no transit permit is required only.

Sincerely,
Hans Walther
Director of weapons Authority Frankfurt"

I booked my flights through Cabela's travel agency. I was given the choice of going from Atlanta to South Africa and then to Namibia or going from Atlanta to Germany and than to Namibia. The South Africa route was cheaper but when you figured in the overnight in RSA there was naught much of a difference. I am going to try the RSA route next time. The beer and wine are free on the flight and a good nights rest in RSA would be nice. My friend said Alfton House did his weapons work and it went real smooth. What do other hunters feel about these two routes to Namibia and which is the least torture.

lwaters, I did the RSA route. It's OK, I essentially takes 4 days of travel to get there and back. I might try the Frankfurt way, to compare someday. I think RSA route would be great if they didn't stop and change plane personal in Dakar. I have hated that part quite A LOT!

Atlanta (ATL) to Joberg (JNB) is a 16 hour direct flight...as information...on Delta...

There is also an Air France and KLM flight

If the weapons remain in the transit area, no transit permit is required only.

I take that to mean whether or not you leave the airport, if the guns stay with the airlines then no permit is required. I would guess that getting the permit anyway would not hurt anything.

I booked my flights through Cabela's travel agency. I was given the choice of going from Atlanta to South Africa and then to Namibia or going from Atlanta to Germany and than to Namibia. The South Africa route was cheaper but when you figured in the overnight in RSA there was naught much of a difference. I am going to try the RSA route next time. The beer and wine are free on the flight and a good nights rest in RSA would be nice. My friend said Alfton House did his weapons work and it went real smooth. What do other hunters feel about these two routes to Namibia and which is the least torture.

The problem with getting into Jo'burg in the evening whether it be via SAA through Dulles (with that stop in Dakar) or Atlanta is that you don't get a chance to get on Africa time. My wife and I, as well as others we spoke to at Afton in the morning, woke right up at 2:30am and could not get back to sleep.

If you get some sleep on the flight to Germany and then force yourself to stay up through the layover, then you should be more inclined to conk out on the connecting flight to Jo'burg. And you get in there in the morning and in theory should be able to make connecting flights from there.

It's brutal either way you go. I had no issues with Afton but given the choice to spend the night there versus a day in Germany, I think at least for now I prefer the latter. Minimizing my time in Jo'burg and not leaving the airport without a doubt is a positive in my mind.

I take that to mean whether or not you leave the airport, if the guns stay with the airlines then no permit is required. I would guess that getting the permit anyway would not hurt anything.

Phil, from what I understand from Hans response: as long as those firearms are safe and sound in the airlines or customs hands you can go have a look around.

I will require a permit for myself due to the requirements and my situation.
For the cost of this permit, why not. To each his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg