Fire at Woodliegh?

Dr Ray,
It's a sad day to hear this. I'm on a couple of forums and apparently there is many forum links but nothing online , or on news channels.

I also read Geoff's wife is hospitalized with smoke Inhalation. I think they said her name is Shirley

Oh dear

Let me ask. If I could make a guess, I’d say that the Chinese Virus had already hit their business hard. Last time I spoke to the people there ( in August ), they already had shortages of bullets in more than a few calibers and didn’t know when they would have them in stock again.

The factory fire was definitely a death blow.

Yes Geoff told me last year that sales have fallen off (I suspect dramatically) because of Covid
What a shame

I've been told that Shirley was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation, but is OK. Geoff is also OK but feeling totally devastated. It'll probably take a bit of time for everything to sink in and a rational decision made as to the future. In the mean I'm sure everyone's thoughts are with Geoff and Shirley.

Sadly, I was looking in my cupboard thinking I would like to add some more Woodleigh Hydros for my .375, incase I need them.
I hope Geoff's wife is OK and they are in good spirits otherwise.
A little selfish but I hope they rebuild and have a business that can go long after Geoff hands over the reigns.
Geoff and the company have done extensive testing and development to get where they are.
If you have or can source a copy of his manual, there's a good history of the Company; typical example of an Aussie bloke "having a go". Geoff isn't a young man anymore (who amongst us is?) and I can respect his decision; a lifetime's dedication, lost. Again, my commiserations, and prayers for Shirley.

If you have or can source a copy of his manual, there's a good history of the Company; typical example of an Aussie bloke "having a go". Geoff isn't a young man anymore (who amongst us is?) and I can respect his decision; a lifetime's dedication, lost. Again, my commiserations, and prayers for Shirley.

I’d like to take over but I’m not an engineer and yikes I’m at retirement age

I can relate. I was hell bent to take my next African Cape Buffalo in 2022 with a .505 Gibbs and 600 Gr Woodleigh soft points. I normally use a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum during my safaris for most of the heavier stuff ( including Cape Buffalo ), but taking a Cape Buffalo with a .505 Gibbs has been on my bucket list for the last two years.
Use an A-Frame and you will be very happy!

Use an A-Frame and you will be very happy!
I wasn’t being a dick, I feel bad for Geoff and Shirley, wish them the best and hope Woodleigh recovers!

And Norma PH, Federal also.

Yup...but they use bullets from lot of different people...but the 470 etc will be affected..going to get a box of hydro in 458 lott if still got....had on shelf when I was in last week...and kynamco as far as I know only or mainly use woodleighs....so going to impact them a lot more....but yeah if you can find them in the big cals I would buy regardless of price...better to have than not...and you definitely aren't going to lose money

Yup...but they use bullets from lot of different people...but the 470 etc will be affected..going to get a box of hydro in 458 lott if still got....had on shelf when I was in last week...and kynamco as far as I know only or mainly use woodleighs....so going to impact them a lot more....but yeah if you can find them in the big cals I would buy regardless of price...better to have than not...and you definitely aren't going to lose money
The double rifles which don‘t have warranties for using monolithic bullets in them ( i.e most vintage doubles and even many of the modern ones barring Heym, Verney Carron and John Rigby & Co. ) are in for a lot of trouble. Woodleigh bullets was basically their only source of conventional steel jacketed lead cored bullets.

I was a little surprised at how extensive a line of bullets that Woodleigh made. I hope they can get back on their feet after this fire.

I do have a question for those more familiar with their bullets. I see they make their hydrostatic bullet in 7mm. What game would you use that on?

Best wishes for recovery for Shirley. Support for Geoff and his staff as they work through this.

Sad news for Geoff and Shirley and for the hunting community world wide which just goes to show how their dedicated approach to bullet technology can have such far reaching and positive infliuence and the absence of them in the market will have a marked effect in the loaded ammo and reloaders supplies. Pleased to hear of their personal safety and recovering health which in a way is the most important aspect of this unfortunate incident.

I was a little surprised at how extensive a line of bullets that Woodleigh made. I hope they can get back on their feet after this fire.

I do have a question for those more familiar with their bullets. I see they make their hydrostatic bullet in 7mm. What game would you use that on?
Duiker, steinbok, reedbuck, klipspringer.

The double rifles which don‘t have warranties for using monolithic bullets in them ( i.e most vintage doubles and even many of the modern ones barring Heym, Verney Carron and John Rigby & Co. ) are in for a lot of trouble. Woodleigh bullets was basically their only source of conventional steel jacketed lead cored bullets.

Yup....unfortunately going to be a big problem...as I said if you can find them buy them

I can relate. I was hell bent to take my next African Cape Buffalo in 2022 with a .505 Gibbs and 600 Gr Woodleigh soft points. I normally use a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum during my safaris for most of the heavier stuff ( including Cape Buffalo ), but taking a Cape Buffalo with a .505 Gibbs has been on my bucket list for the last two years.
@Hunter-Habib
Easy fix mate.
Get on the phone, make some calls ( as many as needed) until you find some. Then fullfil your dreams.
May take a bit of time but I'm sure you will succeed.
Bob

Sad news for sure. .35 Whelen Bob and I were just talking about Woodleigh bullets.

There are some on Gunbroker but not in the cals I would use.
@sestoppelman
Yes it's bad news for Geoff and his lovely wife Shirley. I have enough for quite a while but I am ordering more today.
I'm sure we could start a go fund me page for them to reopen.
Surely there would be someone that could take the reins if he doesn't reopen. It would be a shame to see a lot of beautiful rifles fade away again.
Bob

Geoff, fortunately I do have their manual.
Unfortunately it does not have a listing for .375H&H, it's the only big bore I own.

I for one have been impressed with the service and response from Woodleigh when I have contacted them with an enquiry.

Last night I went online to see if I could pick up any .375 Hydros but could not see any stock listed anywhere. Assuming many people got in quick if the sites are up to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg