finding replacement screws for old 1-piece redfield base?

clockwork_7mm_gator

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Gents,

Have a m77 Mark II 30-06 (tang safety) with a messed up base screw that I need to extract. Looking for a pre-sized replacement. It's one of the two, shorter front screws, caliper shows .326" oal and threading .225". Leopold can't help. Brownell's has longer 6-48s that I could file, but was hoping to avoid that. On a set up this old, are factory replacement screws a pipe dream or do I need to just grab new .350 oal torx head screws in 6-48 and resize them?

DSC02691 (1).jpg

^^^^^This^^^^^ but I wouldn't think they'd be bigger than 8-40s. Where on the screw are you getting the .225 dimension?

I think you answered your own question. First get the buggered one out without messing up the seat in the receiver ring. Also a good idea to very gently chamfer if the lip of the hole is raised or buggered after the process. Then yes, by far the easiest is to get a longer screw, assuming the head fits the recess in the base, shorten it to correct length and you should be good to go. Either hex or torx head screws are preferable to the older slot heads.

I had a similar problem and ended up just paying the machinist to change all the holes on the bases and the rifle to 8-40. But that was a magnum rifle and made more sense, overkill on a -06 but won’t hurt either.

An alternative to filing a long screw would be to put a nut on it at the required length and cut off whatever is "proud" of the nut with a Dremel tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois