Finding a particular lot# of ammo?

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
With the double rifle regulation targets showing the brand and lot# of the ammo it was regulated with; how do you guys go about locating ammo in that lot# without harassing multiple sellers on gunbroker or other sites?

Looking for Hornady DGS .470NE 500gr Lot#3120547

That's a tough call. If I know the bullet weight and the brand and its speed, I work up a load that matches it. With the old cordite guns I start from scratch. Finding the exact lot number is almost imposable.

About the only way to make sure that you get the same lot number on ammo is to purchase a case of it at a time.. and even then there is no guarantee that you will get the same lot number.

I have learned over time to chronograph a known good shooting load out of my rifles and if it is a factory load I will then try to duplicate it by loading it myself. In over 45 years of loading my own ammo I have pretty much gotten to the point that I can do it fairly easily. But that is with factory ammo. I did have a friend who asked to to duplicate a load that another friend had loaded up for him that was very accurate in his rifle. It took me a bit to get it but I got one that was just as accurate. Was it the same load? I have no idea since the person who had loaded the rounds for him had passed away and he never did keep any records on what he had done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois