AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Well as many may know my son Dakota hunted a lioness a few years back with Pieter at Paw Print safaris. Well have had the mount back about a year from Relive taxidermist in SA. Finally have some free time and decide to start the base. It is a work in progress and thought some may like to see how I decide to go about making it. Many steps to go yet but here is the start. Started with a 2x4 frame then some 1/2 plywood for basic frame. Then made the sides out of mahogany from some strips I had left from a shield I made. Just over 6' long and 24" wide with the sides being 51/2" tall with the mahogany sides.

1213161509.jpg
1213161651.jpg
1217161355.jpg
1218161347.jpg
1218161347a.jpg

Should be interesting.

I wish I could do that, but will be fun to watch Bill,.especially when you start to do the top with the grass etc...

Added some red mahogany stain to darken up the wood to offset the color with the sand I will be using. Started to put sand down and get some idea how I want to do this part to. Will being getting some grass to use tomorrow and add more sand after I get grass setup. I am winging it at this point but liking how it is coming together.

1218161819.jpg
1218161612.jpg
1218161820a.jpg
1218161820.jpg

Nice. looking forward to seeing the final product

Are you only reinforcing the bolts/holes with plywood?

Looks like a great start! If you don't mind my unsolicited advice, I would test-mount the lioness now and make sure you like the position, etc before adding the decoration. Saves a lot of changes and hole-filling later. Keep us posted how it works for you.

Looking forward to the end results.

Are you only reinforcing the bolts/holes with plywood?

Used 2x4 laid flat under plywood also to bolt to.

K-man doing the grass today I hope and will mark spots with lioness on for sure. Thank you for the tip

Looking forward to sharing the steps as I go with everyone.

Ok first coat of clear with some grass, sand and rocks with the lioness. The lioness was not on the finished sand yet just a test run to see what I liked.

So to much grass and rocks or needs more? What does everybody think ?

1219160944.jpg

image2 (2).JPG
image3 (1).JPG

image2 (1).JPG
image1 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Those last photos look great. When I saw your first posts, I though "Why is making a coffin for the lioness?!"

from an artistic standpoint, habitat tends to look better in odd groupings such as 3 or 5. I'd make your grass clumps in odd groupings of 3 or 5 or 7 together versus one clump here and there. Just my .02 :)

from an artistic standpoint, habitat tends to look better in odd groupings such as 3 or 5. I'd make your grass clumps in odd groupings of 3 or 5 or 7 together versus one clump here and there. Just my .02 :)

Thank you as I was think I should add more but wanted some feedback from those that know. This is my first try and doing something like this so each step is a guess at best.

Don't know if this makes sense, but if you can do the grass by the legs that are 'active' front left/back right so that it appears as though she is stepping around them it might accentuate the movement in the piece

I don't have one, but I agree the odd numbers are best. Looks great.

Very nice trophy. And you've done a great job building the right platform to display her.

Thanks for sharing this.

Bill, looks good. I would have to agree with some of the others here that maybe a little more grass would accent her...possible make it look more like she is sneaking thru the grass getting ready to take her pray.

From a construction point, before you mount her to the base, I would recommend adding some adjustable feet to the bottom of the base (using the 2x4 to screw the feet into). This would give you the option to level her out if you have a slightly un-level floor. If you don't need to level the base out, then the feet may not be needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you