Finally got to see my mounts

@Bhfs300 I didn't measure a thing. Length, circumference, spread, nothing. Now I wish that I would have. Oh well, live and learn right?
Thank you so much for going to all the effort to superimpose pictures for me!! That's so awesome that you would do that!!!

Simply wait till mounts get home— many times a redrilling of holes to attach horns on with screws can more align width with reality— severe case take a good hero pic along with work done to a new guy in the states Most can work magic and could potentially dirty up your pig if u desire. I really like all the springboks

Warthog comparison.jpg

Really no comparison!

Yah, I gotta agree with you on the warthog but the rest look good. Not sure they would be able to save that warthog even if they were to try again with another cape I don't think they would get it right. You may have to go with the tusks on a plaque which is good too. I hope you can resolve this to your satisfaction.

I agree the one on the right looks real.
I paid about $300 to ship the cape of mine back to the states but I decided to have it bronzed instead.
View attachment 379985
I really like that. Did the same thing to my black bear skull.

According to my taxidermist, doing a warthog mount well isn't easy. Kind of counterintuitive to a non-artist like myself. But after thinking about it, I can see why. I would not be happy with yours the way the pic looks, but like some others have implied, that's often par for the course when you get it done in Africa. Like most things, you get what you pay for. But I wouldn't worry about it much. I have never had any taxidermy done that I couldn't find something to criticize if I looked hard enough. Enjoy the memories of your hunt.

I truly think that if YOU're not happy with the warthog in person that a qualified taxidermist can transform it with some skilled airbrushing for not too high of a cost and probably pretty decent turnaround because the tanning and mounting is done

@cls Yes, at this point I'm not sure what would be best!
@Roller I will enjoy the memories of my hunt for sure! The others look like they turned out ok. I'm not expecting museum quality.
@mikecatt13 That may be an option. IDK what they would do with it for sure though.

Good looking stuff, congratulations.
That one white Springbuck with the gnarled up horns is awesome. Old warrior.

Cam, you got some great trophies there! I do like my warthog better. The picture of yours looks a bit over exposed so it lightens it up a lot but it may look better in different light. It looks like they whitened your tusks too much from that picture compared to the field trophy. My shoulder mount warthog has 3d copied tusks. I have the skull with the original tusks in it and the same for the bushpig. My taxidermist did a walkthrough of all the mounts via facetime before they were shipped so we were able to do some minor corrections on things I saw. Even with that I discovered my warthog tusks are on the wrong side on the shoulder mount! I didn't catch it until I hung it. Waiting to see how we'll fix this. A lot of pictures I got during the process had me worried until it was explained to me that it wasn't finished, especially m y buffalo. The boss had a huge gap in it and I didn't realize that much boiled off in the processing. I sent pictures to Chris and now it looks just like it did in the field. Best to make your concerns known before they ship because it's easier to correct issues at the shop!

@Rider717 Thank you. You obviously saw what I was saying about my Warthog hey? LOL I really like your idea of having replica tusks make for your mount. That way you've got your euro/skull mount and a shoulder mount. Cool idea! Mine kinda looks like the whole thing was replicated. With plastic or clay and painted! Ha ha! I'm gonna see if they can maybe give him some nostrils at least!

@Rider717 Thank you. You obviously saw what I was saying about my Warthog hey? LOL I really like your idea of having replica tusks make for your mount. That way you've got your euro/skull mount and a shoulder mount. Cool idea! Mine kinda looks like the whole thing was replicated. With plastic or clay and painted! Ha ha! I'm gonna see if they can maybe give him some nostrils at least!Cam,

Cam, Yeah I got about as much as I could out of everything. Never sure if I'll get back to Africa so I make the most of each time there. I have the zebra skull and euros of the pigs. My taxidermist said he could reproduce the tusks so I doubled those trophies! Cost is always a concern when you work within a budget. In my case the cost of shipping completed trophies vs. skins and skulls made the process a wash. I had met my taxidermist at SCI and was comfortable with him completing the work. Communication was much easier in the States than all way to Africa and concerns were easier to address. I never realized how much airbrushing is done on taxidermy mounts but if you're not happy when you get them a reasonably competent local taxidermist should be able to make corrections. (If your original taxidermist can't because he already shipped them). Always give the benefit of the doubt is my thinking. Once you get them you'll relive the entire safari again regardless of how they look so you have that going for you! Which is nice.

The warthog does look a bit like it was taken from the Lion king movie. My wife really wished I had got a mount like yours of it instead of the way I chose. I think it looked.pretty neat. Would love to get a mount that looks the way it did when it was taken though. It was so ugly it was beautiful!

Screenshot_20201107-230903.png

The warthog does look a bit like it was taken from the Lion king movie. My wife really wished I had got a mount like yours of it instead of the way I chose. I think it looked.pretty neat. Would love to get a mount that looks the way it did when it was taken though. It was so ugly it was beautiful!

View attachment 382062
That would look sweet dipped in bronze and aged a little. Damn nice hog.

@machinistbutler Nice! That's a bruiser!!! I was hoping mine would look like the field pics too.... Like you said so ugly it's beautiful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,