Finally got Ruger #1 416 Rem Mag

Well good news, new rings solved the issue. Had plenty of adjustment today. Also tried out some IMR 4166, since I'm out of reloader 15. Three loads shot around the 1 1/2" mark. One load with 81.5 gr shot 1.082". No chronograph data today, but will get some this weekend when I re check that load. Im guessing it will be around 2700 fps or so. I really appreciate all the help with this issue guys!
20201103_113645.jpg

How much shimming can this correct for? Shimming one end of a two piece system will push the edges of the rings into the scope body. If you are shimming to shift 1/2 of the overall elevation adjustment on a Leupold scope is this achievable?
0.050" at 8" spacing is about 20 moa.
1/2 that spacing is 40 moa.
bruce.

Reactions: WAB
did you try 88 gn?
bruce.
It was my best group Sunday at 1.11", but im out of RL15, and it seems to be non existent now. Hopefully some will show back up locally or online. Today was my first day trying IMR 4166. As soon as I get my hands on some RL 15 ill be testing 88 gr again. I went with IMR 4166 today since there is over 14 lbs of it at a local store covered in dust lol. Im guessing its not very popular here, so I may have to stay with it until this insane panic buying is over.

did you try 88 gn?
bruce.
And thanks for the scope advice Bruce. When I put the new rings on i adjusted the scope to the middle of its range horizontally and vertically. Bore sighting and adjustments were made easily, and was zeroed in no time.

Reactions: WAB
ain't it good when you can rest easy?
You aint kidding. I have several other rifles ready for season, but I just have to have all of them ready haha. I cant walk by and look at in the safe, without knowing everything is ready

Planning on changing it out they say the limbsaver #10001 fits. But I've also seen where some says it doesn't. Have not found one in stock anywhere yet, so may have to get a grind to fit one. Deer season is about 3 weeks away, so I gotta get started on a load quickly. I have no idea what it weighs, I dont even own scales.
Good luck finding a recoil pad. Tried to find one the other week and everyone is out of stock. With nothing coming out of China these days their are quite a few shortages of lots of things. First found out about how bad it was when we went to buy a dishwasher. The big retailer we went to had almost nothing and didn’t know when or if they’d be in. Finally found one that was assembled in the USA.

Good luck finding a recoil pad. Tried to find one the other week and everyone is out of stock. With nothing coming out of China these days their are quite a few shortages of lots of things. First found out about how bad it was when we went to buy a dishwasher. The big retailer we went to had almost nothing and didn’t know when or if they’d be in. Finally found one that was assembled in the USA.
Gonna hold off on the pad. Recoil wasn't near as bad as I was expecting.

The Ruger No 1 Tropical, to my eyes, is the best looking American rifle made. I have one in 458 Lott and have found the Pachmayr Decelerator makes it shootable from the bench. I generally load it down to 1500 fps with 500 grain bullets but always bring a half dozen or so loaded to 2300 for fun at the end of the shooting session. Can't stop laughing at myself when it makes me take a step backward while shooting it standing on my hind legs. Have fun with your new toy.

Okay, it took a while to come up with an authoritative answer on weight. But by asking around I learned the weight of a No. 1 in .416 RM is 9.35 pounds bare. This compares to the Winchester Model 70 Safari Expresses' weight of 9 pounds even. But then the Winchester has a better recoil pad. So I found my Model 70 quite comfortable to shoot and am not surprised you found the No. 1 also comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg