Finally got Ruger #1 416 Rem Mag

if you are in the middle of a velocity node, there is a good chance you will get accuracy if all else is done properly to get a good consistent bullet release.
there are variables such as case capacity, neck grip, fouling etc that will give velocity variations no matter what.
so if you are in the middle of 3 or more loads that give similar velocities, you gain some forgiveness.
accuracy is dependent on barrel time, as the bullets then leave the muzzle at close to the same point on the sinewave of barrel flip.
another thing about velocity nodes is that you get less elevation changes with temp.
just thinking about your scope mounting situation, you really need to solve the problem.
scopes should be mounted so that where they are used most is around the middle of adjustments.
that way the best parts of the lenses align for better optical performance, and nothing mechanical in the scope is living on the edge of extreme.
bruce.

if you are in the middle of a velocity node, there is a good chance you will get accuracy if all else is done properly to get a good consistent bullet release.
there are variables such as case capacity, neck grip, fouling etc that will give velocity variations no matter what.
so if you are in the middle of 3 or more loads that give similar velocities, you gain some forgiveness.
accuracy is dependent on barrel time, as the bullets then leave the muzzle at close to the same point on the sinewave of barrel flip.
another thing about velocity nodes is that you get less elevation changes with temp.
just thinking about your scope mounting situation, you really need to solve the problem.
scopes should be mounted so that where they are used most is around the middle of adjustments.
that way the best parts of the lenses align for better optical performance, and nothing mechanical in the scope is living on the edge of extreme.
bruce.
Really thinking hard about going and getting 30 mm 1-6 trijicon tomorrow. I had it in my hand the other day and changed my mind, wish I just would of got it now could of saved some frustration today lol.

not necessarily.
if the barrel is not straight or something like that, or the base was manufactured wrongly, no good scope will fix that.
bruce.

Your trouble is not with the scope. Just for S&G reverse the order of the rings before you get carried away? Also can you verify the iron sights are somewhere in the realm of sanity? I would be concerned about the integrity of the rib if the irons were bottomed out also, but if they aren't then your problem lies in the rings.

or the base, or how the barrel aligns with the action, or a number of other things.
machining the base, or shimming a ring (if they are the same height) is where to go.
another test is for the scope.
if you center the adjustments , and then rotate the scope in v blocks, you will see how close the cross is to centre.
you can keep adjusting the scope till the cross is always centre as you rotate..
bruce.

Thanks guys ill check on all that today. That sounds better than blowing a grand on another scope.

The quarter rib seems to be good as far as I can tell, and the barrel looks straight. The rear sight seems to be in about the middle of the adjustment, but I dont know if previous owner ever set them. So I'm going to go about checking the rings. Hopefully that is the issue.

The quarter rib seems to be good as far as I can tell, and the barrel looks straight. The rear sight seems to be in about the middle of the adjustment, but I dont know if previous owner ever set them. So I'm going to go about checking the rings. Hopefully that is the issue.

Shoot with the irons and see how it does before you go too much further.

i remember using kahles and pecar with reticles that went off centre when you zeroed them.
we used to use windage mounts for sideways, and shimmed for verticle.
now burris make rings with off centre inserts to do the same job.
these could be very useful here.
bruce.

Yes, switch the rings first and if that doesn't fix your problem use a shim under one.

i remember using kahles and pecar with reticles that went off centre when you zeroed them.
we used to use windage mounts for sideways, and shimmed for verticle.
now burris make rings with off centre inserts to do the same job.
these could be very useful here.
bruce.
I have seen those burris that may be an option also. I went and picked up a new set of rings so hopefully that fixes it. If not I'll prolly shim, or try burris if they have rings for the rugers.

Yes, switch the rings first and if that doesn't fix your problem use a shim under one.
Just picked up some new rings. The bottom of my old ones had some damage, so they might not of sit very flush. Ill know for sure tm.

Isn’t that going to be a pretty significant shim to get a Leupold at full travel to center of travel? They have a very good adjustment range. Do you worry about binding the scope? Shimming a one piece base moves both rings in plane. Shimming one ring in a setup like this means that the scope will be somewhat off plane with the surface of the ring. Is there enough there to worry about?

Isn’t that going to be a pretty significant shim to get a Leupold at full travel to center of travel? They have a very good adjustment range. Do you worry about binding the scope? Shimming a one piece base moves both rings in plane. Shimming one ring in a setup like this means that the scope will be somewhat off plane with the surface of the ring. Is there enough there to worry about?
Very good point I would like to know this also.

Reactions: WAB
Ensure the rib is fully seated before you shoot the irons. Then call Ruger and make them get to the bottom of it if something is amiss. The rib or the rings is my guess. I'd also be interested in the height of the front sight insert. Read up on how to measure that.
Just to be clear you are firing from a steady rest and the stock is not plunging down out of the shoulder during recoil.

you should always lap your rings whenever you mount a scope.
if you use shims under a base, this more than doubly so..
bruce.

Scope ring lapping and alignment tools- one time investment that can pay dividends in the long run.

scope lapping and. alignment tools.png

Headed out this morning to check it. Will report back.

Scope ring lapping and alignment tools- one time investment that can pay dividends in the long run.

View attachment 374245

How much shimming can this correct for? Shimming one end of a two piece system will push the edges of the rings into the scope body. If you are shimming to shift 1/2 of the overall elevation adjustment on a Leupold scope is this achievable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg