Finally got Ruger #1 416 Rem Mag

Cleveland48

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Always loved the looks of the #1 rifles. Picked this 416 Rem Mag the other day. Have 300 gr TSX and 350 TTSX to try out this weekend. Will keep my 350 speer mag tips for my 416 taylor improved. Recoil pad is hard as a rock haha, but maybe load development will go quickly. Any tips for the #1's will be greatly appreciated, this is my first one so I'm new to them.
20201029_211123.jpg

Why not change out the recoil pad? What does the rifle weigh?

Why not change out the recoil pad? What does the rifle weigh?
Planning on changing it out they say the limbsaver #10001 fits. But I've also seen where some says it doesn't. Have not found one in stock anywhere yet, so may have to get a grind to fit one. Deer season is about 3 weeks away, so I gotta get started on a load quickly. I have no idea what it weighs, I dont even own scales.

Planning on changing it out they say the limbsaver #10001 fits. But I've also seen where some says it doesn't. Have not found one in stock anywhere yet, so may have to get a grind to fit one. Deer season is about 3 weeks away, so I gotta get started on a load quickly. I have no idea what it weighs, I dont even own scales.
Wrong. Grind a Pacmayr to fit. You'll be ahead. I had a limbsaver on my .375 and the Pacmayr is better. I have one on my .458 Lott too.

Reactions: WAB
Wrong. Grind a Pacmayr to fit. You'll be ahead. I had a limbsaver on my .375 and the Pacmayr is better. I have one on my .458 Lott too.
Thanks for the help, glad u mentioned it so I didn't buy the limbsaver and regret it.

Always loved the looks of the #1 rifles. Picked this 416 Rem Mag the other day. Have 300 gr TSX and 350 TTSX to try out this weekend. Will keep my 350 speer mag tips for my 416 taylor improved. Recoil pad is hard as a rock haha, but maybe load development will go quickly. Any tips for the #1's will be greatly appreciated, this is my first one so I'm new to them. View attachment 373728
Congratulations Cleveland48! I never fail to feel good when I see a Ruger No1, the most elegant form ever produced imo. That one looks to be in perfect condition, and nice wood. If you change the recoil pad, do so carefully, and keep the original! I have a 375 H&H, recoil is stout, but you feel it far less when you are smiling! See if you can find a red pad, that seems to really enhance the looks.

Will you be bringing it to Africa some time? Don't let the crowd dissuade you, that is a fine buffalo rifle and yes, you can re-load fast with no misfeeds to boot. I took my buff with mine and my buddy in our hunting group is importing his now to use on his buff, also in 375H&H. They look very good with a DG scope, I chose a Leica 1-6.3i with red dot on Warne QD mounts.

7426692C-B658-48E6-B3E8-D6CA6C724BC6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the 416 and the Number 1. A fine looking rifle and a great cartridge.

My advice -- and I'm aware you didn't ask for it -- would be to shoot it and if the recoil is as bothersome as many say on the #1, then when you are changing out the recoil pad also install a mercury recoil reducer.

Will you be bringing it to Africa some time? Don't let the crowd dissuade you, that is a fine buffalo rifle and yes, you can re-load fast with no misfeeds to boot. I took my buff with mine and my buddy in our hunting group is importing his now to use on his buff, also in 375H&H. They look very good with a DG scope, I chose a Leica 1-6.3i with red dot on Warne QD mounts. View attachment 373731
Thanks, maybe one day I can make it to Africa.

My advice -- and I'm aware you didn't ask for it -- would be to shoot it and if the recoil is as bothersome as many say on the #1, then when you are changing out the recoil pad also install a mercury recoil reducer.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea

Congrats! I'm a huge fan of Ruger No. 1s. BTW, they are addicting. :)

Congrats on the new addition!

Always loved the looks of the #1 rifles. Picked this 416 Rem Mag the other day. Have 300 gr TSX and 350 TTSX to try out this weekend. Will keep my 350 speer mag tips for my 416 taylor improved. Recoil pad is hard as a rock haha, but maybe load development will go quickly. Any tips for the #1's will be greatly appreciated, this is my first one so I'm new to them. View attachment 373728
Very nice sir.....congrats on the purchase. As others advise take it out ant shoot it before changing the pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg