Finally got Ruger #1 416 Rem Mag

Cleveland48

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Always loved the looks of the #1 rifles. Picked this 416 Rem Mag the other day. Have 300 gr TSX and 350 TTSX to try out this weekend. Will keep my 350 speer mag tips for my 416 taylor improved. Recoil pad is hard as a rock haha, but maybe load development will go quickly. Any tips for the #1's will be greatly appreciated, this is my first one so I'm new to them.
20201029_211123.jpg

postoak

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Why not change out the recoil pad? What does the rifle weigh?

Cleveland48

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Why not change out the recoil pad? What does the rifle weigh?
Planning on changing it out they say the limbsaver #10001 fits. But I've also seen where some says it doesn't. Have not found one in stock anywhere yet, so may have to get a grind to fit one. Deer season is about 3 weeks away, so I gotta get started on a load quickly. I have no idea what it weighs, I dont even own scales.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Planning on changing it out they say the limbsaver #10001 fits. But I've also seen where some says it doesn't. Have not found one in stock anywhere yet, so may have to get a grind to fit one. Deer season is about 3 weeks away, so I gotta get started on a load quickly. I have no idea what it weighs, I dont even own scales.
Wrong. Grind a Pacmayr to fit. You'll be ahead. I had a limbsaver on my .375 and the Pacmayr is better. I have one on my .458 Lott too.

Reactions: WAB

Cleveland48

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Wrong. Grind a Pacmayr to fit. You'll be ahead. I had a limbsaver on my .375 and the Pacmayr is better. I have one on my .458 Lott too.
Thanks for the help, glad u mentioned it so I didn't buy the limbsaver and regret it.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Always loved the looks of the #1 rifles. Picked this 416 Rem Mag the other day. Have 300 gr TSX and 350 TTSX to try out this weekend. Will keep my 350 speer mag tips for my 416 taylor improved. Recoil pad is hard as a rock haha, but maybe load development will go quickly. Any tips for the #1's will be greatly appreciated, this is my first one so I'm new to them. View attachment 373728
Congratulations Cleveland48! I never fail to feel good when I see a Ruger No1, the most elegant form ever produced imo. That one looks to be in perfect condition, and nice wood. If you change the recoil pad, do so carefully, and keep the original! I have a 375 H&H, recoil is stout, but you feel it far less when you are smiling! See if you can find a red pad, that seems to really enhance the looks.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Will you be bringing it to Africa some time? Don't let the crowd dissuade you, that is a fine buffalo rifle and yes, you can re-load fast with no misfeeds to boot. I took my buff with mine and my buddy in our hunting group is importing his now to use on his buff, also in 375H&H. They look very good with a DG scope, I chose a Leica 1-6.3i with red dot on Warne QD mounts.

7426692C-B658-48E6-B3E8-D6CA6C724BC6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

ldmay375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Congratulations on the 416 and the Number 1. A fine looking rifle and a great cartridge.

postoak

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
My advice -- and I'm aware you didn't ask for it -- would be to shoot it and if the recoil is as bothersome as many say on the #1, then when you are changing out the recoil pad also install a mercury recoil reducer.

Cleveland48

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Will you be bringing it to Africa some time? Don't let the crowd dissuade you, that is a fine buffalo rifle and yes, you can re-load fast with no misfeeds to boot. I took my buff with mine and my buddy in our hunting group is importing his now to use on his buff, also in 375H&H. They look very good with a DG scope, I chose a Leica 1-6.3i with red dot on Warne QD mounts. View attachment 373731
Thanks, maybe one day I can make it to Africa.

Cleveland48

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
My advice -- and I'm aware you didn't ask for it -- would be to shoot it and if the recoil is as bothersome as many say on the #1, then when you are changing out the recoil pad also install a mercury recoil reducer.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats on the new addition!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Always loved the looks of the #1 rifles. Picked this 416 Rem Mag the other day. Have 300 gr TSX and 350 TTSX to try out this weekend. Will keep my 350 speer mag tips for my 416 taylor improved. Recoil pad is hard as a rock haha, but maybe load development will go quickly. Any tips for the #1's will be greatly appreciated, this is my first one so I'm new to them. View attachment 373728
Very nice sir.....congrats on the purchase. As others advise take it out ant shoot it before changing the pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svetlanabts

Latest profile posts

raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation