Finally bought a .375!!!

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
After 3 years of dreaming of getting into the bigger bores I finally bought a .375 h&h. I Stumbled on a new looking Used winchester mod 70 safari express at cabelas today for what I believe was a good deal! I picked up a box of Hornady 300gr Dgx rounds and drove a hour and shot the whole box! Wow all I can say is I love this gun!!! I'm addicted now and I want bigger! Haha. Now just gotta decide which scope to put on it. I hope to take it to Africa in the near future!

Welcome to the forum and the world of rifle loonies and safari nuts!!:D Next thing ya know you will have a few other big bores and have a deposit down on that first safari. Enjoy.

Congratulations post up a few pics

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum and congrats!!!!

The .375 is the gateway drug to the true big bores. Dont ask me how I know.... ;)

Thanks!, I know I wanna go in the .4's now! Haha

Another M70 guy....obviously a gentleman and a scholar! (y);) Looks like there's Weaver style bases already on there, that would get you ready for Warne rings if you like them. However your front base is a "normal" front base and not an extended. Likely due to the long action of the .375H&H you're going to need an extended front base to allow you to bring the scope back far enough.

If you're a handloader, just pipe up and let us know, there are plenty of 375 shooters around here who can help. I've got the same rifle and am happy to share the loads I've developed.

Thanks! Any scope recommendations? Was wanting to stick with leupold. But what power im not sure of?

Not a real big Leupold guy myself, but the VX-6 line is getting what seems like lots of positive reviews. The 1-6 for DG, 2-12 for PG if I was going that route. A friend who does more big bore shooting than anyone I know, and I mean lots of it, has switched over from Leupold to Nikon for durability reasons.

welcome,great rifle and great caliber

enjoy

Congrats on your new gun! It is adequate for about anything you want to hunt the World over. The only thing you might need more power for is elephant and possibly Cape Buffalo, (and I suppose Rhino if you ever went there). But you can legally shoot them all with this gun and put them down with properly placed shots.

I have that same gun with a VX6 2-12 illuminated that I've used on PG from Duiker to Eland and many in between. And a M70 in 416 Rem Mag currently wearing Trijicon 1-4.... I also own a Swarovski Z6i in 2-12 but if money is an issue, I recommend the VX6. A VX6 in 1-6 would be a fine choice as well.

With the right loads that 375 H&H can be effective to some pretty long ranges so a 2-12 might be a consideration. 2x would be as high as I would go for a low setting on a DG rifle and if your primary purpose is for DG, consider the 1-6.

For about half the cost, a VXR in 2-7 would be a great all around scope and the 1-4 would be a great DG scope, for the money.

Your going to grow very fond of that gun and cartridge. If you are not a handloader (I'm not), you might want to start watching Midway USA, Cheaper than dirt, and possibly get your mouse over to CorBon (10 round boxes) to get deals on ammo. I've found some particularly good deals on closeouts on Midway USA for premium stuff and there was a deal on the Colorado Buck stuff some time back, think that was through Cheaper than dirt.

Welcome to AH.

Have a great time moving toward your first trip.

Thanks for the info actionbob! I'm not a hand loader either so I will definitely keep an eye on those sites!

And Welcome Travis!

Tell us a bit about any plans to hunt Africa, or anywhere else for that matter... Especially where you plan to use the new 375!

You've bought what I think is the best value in .375s, and a rifle you can rightfully "keep in the family". Careful where a .375 may lead you. Good hunting!

Welcome to the best forum.

Congratulations Travis! I hope she serves you well. Fine rifle that you got there.
I would personally look for something in the 3-10 x 40 range, on swing off mounts which allow you the best of both worlds. The .375 can be loaded with as light as 200gr bullets, all the way up to 350gr for the heavier stuff. Then you pretty much have everything covered.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on purchasing a beautifull rifle . This is the one calibre I believe every person who dreams of the hunting grounds of the dark continent should own. You will never need anything else. Then again need is only one side of the coin, there is always the "want" factor!

Thanks for the responses! I have read this forum for years and the people here seem to be some of the best people in the hunting and shooting world! Truly great site!

Welcome and congrats on your purchase! Oh, and by the way, you're pretty much screwed :D New .375 and AH membership? Gateway drug and a whole herd of enablers...
:A Blowup:
^^^ This is your bank account :D
Joking aside, nice choice of rifle. I don't think you could do much better than a Leupold VX-6 in 1-6 or 2-12 depending on your intended application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!