Field Aging Buffalo Bulls

...It would be great if the record books thought of a way to reward the age of the animal because the old dagga boys will definitely score lower on the current measuring systems....
+1
I sometimes feel the emphasis on width and shape detracts from a true mature bull.
Luckily there seems to be a growing section of the hunting crowd that is leaning towards age and maturity rather than inches.
Lets hope threads such as this encourage more people to search for the true "dagga" boys.

It would be a useful research study or academic thesis. To study hunting trophies and aging statistics and then suggest measuring changes. I think Rowland ward is less effected by age but Sci can favor younger animals with long points.

Thanks for article ,very informative as i'm going on a non trophy very old bull in mid march .

Very helpful. Thankyou, Brian

outstanding pics here .
Great thread.Thank you.

dugga young.JPG

Luangwa.
a young poser
What may have become of him ?

dugga.JPG

Here from the park.
Unfortunately the driver refused to circle the bull so I could see him from the front. There were some accidents before with Big Game in the NP.
He was old. ,but so hairless? I wonder if he doesn't have mange or something like that?

dugga gwayi.JPG

Gwayi river.
The boss was complete hard.
But hair on the bridge of the nose like a donkey.

dugga old.JPG

Save river.
Old like a stone.

Last edited:
Thank you, I really enjoyed reading that post. It was very informative and very thorough.

In June, our PH, Theuns Maraiss with Choronga Safaris, took us on a boat ride. We left the resort area there in Kasane and headed up the Chobe.
This is one of the many bulls we spotted on that ride and I thought he was a trophy worth taking. Can someone tell me his approximate age?
DSCN1960.JPG

DSCN1961.JPG

While on vacation in South Africa in May, our PH, Zak Grobler, took us to Shelanti Game Reserve where this fella was spotted on a tour of the property.
Just curious how you'd judge these specimens on the hoof.
DSCN0584.JPG

We then went to Krueger where we drove through a herd right before sunset. Several bulls were around the vehicle. They all looked massive and what an experience to have them within 20 feet of the vehicle.
This bull looks like a trophy, but I bet you say he's too young still?
DSCN0688.JPG

A couple more that look mature.
DSCN0686.JPG

DSCN0694.JPG

Two pictures of the same bull.
DSCN0719.JPG

DSCN0726.JPG

While on vacation in South Africa in May, our PH, Zak Grobler, took us to Shelanti Game Reserve where this fella was spotted on a tour of the property.
Just curious how you'd judge these specimens on the hoof.
View attachment 448971
We then went to Krueger where we drove through a herd right before sunset. Several bulls were around the vehicle. They all looked massive and what an experience to have them within 20 feet of the vehicle.
This bull looks like a trophy, but I bet you say he's too young still?
View attachment 448974
A couple more that look mature.
View attachment 448975
View attachment 448976
Two pictures of the same bull.
View attachment 448977
View attachment 448979
I’m curious about the first bull pictured. He seems to have the tell tale signs of an old bull, but his tips seem so sharp yet…

I have been absolutely enjoying reading this thread. I wonder if in this day and age, there is no tech savvy “wise man/woman” who would give an online course (Zoom or Teams) on field aging different species?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you