FFP vs SFP 1-10×28mm scope for Plains Game

CADDIE5

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,NRA,ISRA
Athlon for 2021 has Ares ETR UHD 1-10×24MM scope in ffp but has ultra high def glass ($999) vs the Helos BTR gen2 1-10×28mm scope in sfp with xpl coated glass ($499). Both are 34mm tubes and illuminated moa reticle. Is ffp not recommended vs sfp? Reticles similar. Better glass in ffp vs sfp with typical glass. For PG and maybe cape buffalo. Win model 70 Rifle is 375 ruger caliber. Have Helos btr 1-4.5×24mm scope for service rifle competition and glass is good enough for target shooting. This will be my first trip to S. Africa.
Screenshot_20210227-193549_Gallery.jpg

That reticle is far too detailed for my personal taste. Way too many things going on. But that is of course subjective.

What I'm wondering about (more objectively) is the eye box, field of view and the exit pupil. If you say that buffalo may be on the menu, it would probably be advisable to have a scope that could be a bit forgiving in terms of getting a decent sight picture really quick. You might not have time to get that cheek weld juuuuust right. I have no personal experience with either of the suggested models, but I believe that some optical compromises have to be made in order have a 10x zoom factor.

Also, I don't that just because 8x or 10x zoom scopes exist, that they are the scopes to end all scopes. A decent 4x - be it 1-4x or 1.5-6x is probably a better thing for a close-in DG situation. And a 2.5-10x or 3-9x or something like that would be great for PG.

just my 2 cents

There is zero chance you are going to be ranging a target in the intended use for the scope, so that takes much of the FFP advantage out right off the top. I lean FFP generally, but it certainly doesn't add much to this equation.
exactly this.

for my money, on variable power scopes, it is better to have a wide FOV at a low power like 1.5 or 2 than to have massive magnification. a wide FOV will serve you well in all shooting circumstances. high magnification serves for a very narrow envelope of utility

I personally love the 1x10 in the FFP. I understand that a plex SFP scope may be more practical for Cape Buffalo/Dangerous Game but if you want one 375 for all game then I love the choice of a FFP scope. I love the FFP because at 10x the scope subtensions are more usable. I feel like I can use a 375 upto 300 yards for plains game. I can't use most subtensions on most SFP scopes.

But, I would prefer to use two rifles, a 300 WM with a FFP scope for plains game and a 375 H&H with a Swarovski Z8i 0.75-6x20 4A-IF reticle (simple reticle) for dangerous game (great rail mounted scope with wider field of view).

IMO, FFP on low power just sucks. Too thin to see well in poor light or against a dark background. Can't even imagine poor light and dark background at the same time - In full pucker mode.

In FFP I have a 1x6, 4-14 and 5x25.

Both reticules too complicated for hunting for my taste.
For hunting I prefer simple cross hairs, red dot, and FFP. But thats just me.

Having said that, if above is the final choice between the two, go for more expensive glass.

I can’t imagine what you would use all of that for on a rifle intended to shoot out to 300 or 400 yards. You can eyeball range close enough to nail the .375’s trajectory within a couple of inches over that range. The most important thing you can do is get on the sticks quickly and hit a softball sized target every time at 100 and closer. Too much stuff in your scope is going to slow you down.

What @WAB said.

You really ought to discover the marvel that is a crosshair. ;) The best hunting reticle ever developed, at least in my opinion, is the German No. 4.

German4_Reticle-2 (1).png

@Red Leg
This is exactly what I use for hunting, with illuminated red dot, as my personal luxury!

Reactions: WAB
Sometimes I really have to marvel at the extremes to which the market place will go to sell, what will amount to a very limited quantity of a fad. :):):) But hey, hang it on the latest rattle battle with at least 6 rails and I’m sure some will sell.

Good grief, think I’ll just stick to a regular, fairly heavy duplex in a low power. ;)

Those reticles are too cluttered to be used on a hunting scope. A heavy duplex or German No 4 are, in my opinion, what’s needed. An illuminated reticle would be of benefit in the dark stuff also.

Bought Athlon Cronus btr 1-6×24mm 30mm tube scope with this reticle. Ultra HD Japanese glass. Thanks for all of your help.

Screenshot_20210305-150125_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.