willemf

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
PHASA, SA Hunters and Conservation
I need to put up 6 km fencing .

In the past I used 2.24mm heavy galvanized wire with the 3 meter droppers . Does anybody know how the quality of the fence compares to Bonnox or veldspan. Also how does prices compare .

I bought some veldspan 2.5 meter high . The option with 30 cm vertical strands cost 1600 per 100 meter and the option with 15 cm vertical strands costs 2400 Rand per 100 meter .

Anybody have advice or a contact person that supplies at decent prices . If I do 3 meter high fencing with droppers 1 meter apart the fence works out about R55000 per kilometer .

Thanks for the help

Whoa!!!!
I don't know how all this works over there but if my math doesn't fail me and you are not having to fight off the Indians while you are building this fence it seems to me that you are wildly over paying . . . at least by 1/2 compared to out cost over here. Might be worth figuring the import fees for what we use.

We use corner posts of 6" pipe or 8" scraped cedar, alternate steel posts and 4 inch cedar posts. single strand of barb wire top and bottom and 8' woven wire. Makes for a wildlife -proof fence approximately 8 1/2 feet high, we can turn them here at less than $2,500 to $3,000 / mile depending on amount and soil conditions ( dirt vs. rock)

If you need more info PM me

It kinda wakes everyone up to the cost of doing business in South Africa. Willem has to put in 3.728 miles of fence for $39,200,that is for a 3 meter high fence.

My mistake. I know, Hard to believe but sometimes even the boss commits an error.

This Summer we were doing game fence for around $1 /foot $5,000 - $5,500 per mile.

I cannot expect building fence in South Africa differs that much from building fence in SOuth Texas so I am at a loss to explain the vast cost differential.

With the vastly lower wages over there I would have expected it to be much cheaper in ZA.

With the vastly lower wages over there I would have expected it to be much cheaper in ZA.

Yes we pay lower wages but on avg we need to hire 4 people for one productive person from Europe or the US for instance.

The trackers work their butss of and have no end but dont give them manual farm labour then they slow down to a halt. In their culture they do the hunting and talking and as boys look after the livestock but most of the famring and work is done by the women that is why they can have more than one wife. :cool:

Yes we pay lower wages but on avg we need to hire 4 people for one productive person from Europe or the US for instance.

The trackers work their butss of and have no end but dont give them manual farm labour then they slow down to a halt. In their culture they do the hunting and talking and as boys look after the livestock but most of the famring and work is done by the women that is why they can have more than one wife. :cool:

Sounds like a great deal. Where do I sign up?

Second wind, we can't use 'woven wire' on fences here! They steal it in a heart beat to make snares to catch the animals you're trying to protect!! Bonnox or similar fencing is specially made so it can't be unraveled into single strands...that's why it costs so much!
More'n one wife....count me out! can you imagine stereo bitch bitch bitch!:) Just Kidding! my wife's a honey!

Willem.
I prefer veldspan if you keeping critters like fellow deer. They tend to slip through bonnox. What I experienced is to phone places in areas that game keeping is not the norm, sometimes you are lucky with old stock, all be it a small volume. DIY superstore in Bloemfontein supplies rolls of fencing at really competitive prices. Also phone old or even better closed down mines in your area, they have acres laden with old scrap like steel pipes that works a charm for corner post. We save a third on our materials. As for labour, well all I can say is good luck!:)

Andries, with all that wine making how do you put up fences?

Willem.
I prefer veldspan if you keeping critters like fellow deer. They tend to slip through bonnox. What I experienced is to phone places in areas that game keeping is not the norm, sometimes you are lucky with old stock, all be it a small volume. DIY superstore in Bloemfontein supplies rolls of fencing at really competitive prices. Also phone old or even better closed down mines in your area, they have acres laden with old scrap like steel pipes that works a charm for corner post. We save a third on our materials. As for labour, well all I can say is good luck!:)

I am with Diamondhitch, let's go, a couple of Wildebeest, Impala's or such and some of that great Scotch and Castle beer, good times had by all. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!