AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Come on then, if you think you're hard enough: Feisty Jackal takes on huge Lion...

When you're sat on by a large male lion you would consider yourself lucky just to escape unscathed.

But this feisty jackal appears so angry at the indignity that it attacks the king of the beasts.

The amazing sequence of pictures showing the unique encounter was captured next to a waterhole in the Ongava Game Reserve in Namibia.

Co-founder and Director of Research at Ongava Research Centre, Dr Ken Stratford told how this sort of behaviour by a jackal has never been seen before.

watermark.php

Sharing a drink: The jackal strolls by the lion as it bends down to sip water from a watering hole at the the Ongava Game Reserve in Namibia

watermark.php

Oops! The enormous lion leans back and accidentally sits on the tiny jackal which yelps with surprise, throws its ears back and wriggles free from the tight squeeze.

Dr Stratford said: 'The tail end of the dry season is a time of year when the waterholes in Ongava Game Reserve are particularly busy. But no one in my team ever dreamed of seeing this.

'One of our camera-traps had fired off a sequence of 10 shots revealing a black-backed jackal attacking a young adult male lion - in broad daylight.

'Not only do cat and canine typically frequent waterholes at night rather than by day, we found no previous record of a jackal being so aggressive towards a lion.'

Describing the sequence of ten pictures, British-born Dr Stratford said: 'A large but young adult male lion is taking a drink at the waterhole as a black-backed jackal passes by and as the jackal gets closer, the two animals seem to be ignoring each other.
'The lion has sat down, presumably inadvertently squashing the passing jackal. Unhurt, the jackal squeezes out from under the lion and rounds on him, furious at the indignity.

watermark.php

You're not getting away with that! The plucky jackal rears up onto its hind legs and bares its sharp teeth at the surprised lion, starting a David and Goliath showdown.

watermark.php

The fight is on: The brave jackal refuses to be intimidated by the size of the lion and moves in close enough to grab the predator's beard in its teeth.

'The feisty jackal leaps towards the lion's face risking a side-swipe from the big cat's enormous and deadly paw before continuing to prance around the lion like an irritating wasp.

'Ominously, the lion rises to his feet, perhaps nearing the end of his patience, towering over the jackal and it is then that the jackal appears to consider the prudence of continuing the assault.

'Wisely, the jackal decides that the lion has learned his lesson and continues his journey around the waterhole.'

The Ongava Game Reserve in Namibia is home to some of the rarest wild animals on the planet and the Research Centre is a privately funded facility devoted to the scientific study of all parts of the ecosystem at Ongava.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story and photos Jerome

That little dog is lucky that adolescent wanted to play a little I think.

Amazing, forbearance on the cats part and insane Bravdo on the dogs part.

Thanks for the laugh.

After looking at this maybe we need to add the Jackal on as THE BIG 6! Good one Jerome.

A new species of jackal, one with square balls !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross