Federal power shok 375 h&h

What bullets are in them? What weight?
I'm not sure what bullets are in them. 300gr cup and core i believe. Going to try catching one in water jugs later. Lined up 5 one gallon jugs and it punched through all of them and only left a little shrapnel behind

Can you post a pic of the box?

I looked them up. Probably fine for your intended use. Not really such a thing as bullet failure in a .375. For Brown Bears or anything bigger I would want to know exactly what bullets are in them.

Here you go

16302728011611827049639140537968.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you the bullets they put into 270 win power shoks fragment a huge amount. I’m sure it’s the same bullet design. I wouldn’t consider using them on anything heavy where penetration is important.

That is true, but generally speaking on non dangerous game like the op was talking about I didn't see a problem.

I've only used that load on one animal, a really old, big cow moose at a stepped off distance of 300 yards. Perfect performance. Full penetration and exit, with a wide wound channel and quick kill from a high lung shot. They also shoot accurately in the four different .375 rifles I have tried them in. I'd say go hunting with confidence.

I have the 270gr for the 375HH.I haven’t used them but from what I have learnt,accuracy is good but the bullet design is old school,nothing fancy,it works fine.If your target species can eat you or use you as a bowling ball,use something better

I purchased some of these when I first got my .375 H&H (the 300gn version). One we dug out of an Aussie buffalo had completely separated, the jacket was an intact "cup" totally devoid of any lead core. The base of the jacket was in surprisingly good condition, clearly the lead core separated early and the jacket ceased any further travel through the animal. I would call this a bullet failure, However the bull was on the ground, so?

On my first hunt in South Africa, this is the only round I used with factory 270 gr. soft point. Its common that Federal Power Shok was in a blue box (four or five years ago). I wouldn't want to hunt a buff with them, or any big bear, but anything smaller should die quickly if you do your part.

I would chrono them as well. I bought some 270 Win VitalShok cartridges loaded with 150g Partition bullets. They clocked in at 2600 fps. I sucked it up and handloaded the same bullets (i had several boxes) with my pet loads, got just over 3000 fps. I truly believe ammo manufacturers should be made to put velocities on their ammo and be held to them.

Those are good bullets. 'Used em in a .458 previously and in my Son's .375. Just find a companion solid if going to Africa for DG follow-ups. (They expand really well, so great on Bear/Moose). Fed makes a FMJ that will shoot similarly. There are better, tougher bullets for African DG (swift, woodleigh, barnes) penetration, but they'll work fine for your purposes.

Turns out this ammo does a great job on caribou Haha

20211106_131617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a poor choice to shoot caribou cows for meat. How much meat was lost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!