Federal 45/70 cases

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
jut reloaded federal cases obtained by firing federal 45/70 factory ammo.
I was not altogether comfortable with the lack of tightness of primer pockets on new Winchester large rifle primers.
I also felt the neck expander went into the cases more easily, and that bullet seating took very little force.
you could see the bulge in the case where the bottom of the bullet is, suggesting what should be significant neck tension.
lucky these rounds are crimped.
all the above suggests that the brass cases are actually soft.
if factory 45/70 loads have expanded primer pockets, this does not bode well!
can anyone comment on federal 45/70 factory ammo brass hardness from experience.?
bruce.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Bruce, in general I think Federal Brass is considered to be on the lower end of the desirability scale for reloaders.
A number of years ago I started purchasing Norma Brass for all of my larger bore rifles. I've read that Norma Brass is made by Lapua. From time to time there have been some very good sales (at discounted prices) of Norma Brass while I not seen similar sales for Lapua. Could be that I just wasn't looking for brass at the right time or distributor. I will have to say however that I have found the primer pockets in Norma brass to be exceedingly tight.

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Another vote for Starline!

45 years with the 45/70 and I only buy Starline now.

Save yourself the trouble and buy a 250 piece bag of Starline and give all your other brass away.

Tum

Jeff 907

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Namibia
I have never used Federal only Barnes and Hornady in my .45-70 but I’d does seem like soft brass. I have reloaded Norma with no issues. Since the Hornady leverevolution uses soft pointed bullets the brass is just short. It’s good for reloading Hornady bullets only.

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
Starline for my .405 WCF and for my .45-90 loading. Nary a problem.

I have so much loaded .45-70 ammo that I may never need to reload it. :)

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
thanks guys.
starline is available in oz, and personal experience with it has been good (45/2.4")
will advise the guy to get that.
bruce.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
I cannot speak as to hardness but I have heard that the lever revolution cases are a bit short.

For 45-70 I'd buy Starline brass. It's easily the best out there.

They are shorter to account for the very long ogive on the FTX bullets. If you buy factory brass, it has to be trimmed from 2.105 down to 2.040. If you buy LeveRevolution off the shelf, the brass is already cut down to 2.040.

Other than reloading for FTX , I use starline exclusively for my 45-70 loads.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Starline for my .405 WCF and for my .45-90 loading. Nary a problem.

I have so much loaded .45-70 ammo that I may never need to reload it. :)

I have about 150 loaded, but waiting for @Parker O'Conor to buy his 45-70 so I can load some up for him, too. I think I have about 180 bullets waiting to be loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickPa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...