Favorite game to eat on your safari

I am a hunter for many reasons. Like all of us here.

I enjoy everything about big game hunting. Enjoying game on the table is one of them. Actually a very important part for me. I always tell myself the hunt isn't over until the meat is gone.

The reason I thought of this was because I just enjoyed an elk steak I harvested last year. Made me think of the game we enjoyed in Africa recently.

I realize hunting in Africa is different from hunting in the US. It is virtually impossible to export meat from the animals your harvest. This is much different than what I am used to from being a resident in the US. I realize it is the laws and logistics, I know that every pound of meat we harvest is utilized. If not, I wouldn't hunt.

When I was in Africa our camp chef (the best) prepared meat from what we harvested the previous day. I enjoyed it very, very much. To me it is an important part of the hunt. I sampled Zebra, Springbok, Nylala, Kudu and some chops. One especially delicious meal was a Steenbok stew that we enjoyed very much. One day late in the hunt I harvested a zebra. It was a big old fella and when we got it loaded in the truck I was tired and thirsty,tired, sleep deprived, sweaty and...thirsty. I road a few miles back to camp with our tracker, a nice young gentleman named George. He looked at me and smiled and told me "My family likes zebra! Tonight we eat Zebra." We shook hands, hugged and I thanked him for all his help. A great young man. It made me happy he'd have something his family enjoyed.

Anyway. I couldn't find a post on this whole forum about what you all like to eat from your game animals in Africa.

I'll start. My favorite is Springbok tenderloin.

Beverages. I got to meet Castle Lager. We got along well. After dark a couple fingers of any distilled spirits on ice was good before dinner.

A Springbok shooter was done in respect for each animal we harvested.

A great part of the hunting experience.

Thank you Africa.
springbok tenderloin is about 150gr wet
not much there
maybe the backstrap would be better and more of it

at tallyho we serve game meat that hunters have taken a few days of hanging in cold room and its good to go

my personal favourites, as prepared by "karen" the master chef at Tallyho
zebra fillet, by far best
buff fillet in a pepper sauce, old bulls are not so tender but very tasty
eland fillet, done in "wellington" style
oryx sirloin steak on the braai, simple and great flavour

Last trip we ate Buff, Impala, Sable and Zebra tenderloin and Zebra was by far the best.
Interested to see this is the common consensus. Horse meat has a funny odour but the Zebra was very mild.

My favorites are in the order: gemsbok, kudu, bush pig, eland and waterbuck. Had quite a few others and remember them all fondly expect the buff, that was a bit tough but I’m sure a younger buff would have been a bit better. None of the game I’ve had was strong like American deer or antelope.

Blesbok loin and Bush pig get my vote.

FN

I was delighted to try so many different game meats...every day something. I would have loved to have brought home a bunch of different game sausages from the butcher, but it isnt allowed. I think my favorites would be Ostrich and kudu biltong. I would have loved to have tried zebra, but didnt have a chance.

...Top three: Young giraffe, eland, and zebra.

I'VE ALWAYS TOLD PEOPLE THE BEST BITE OF MEAT I'VE EVER HAD CAME FROM AN OLD HARTMANN'S ZEBRA STALLION. I THOUGH IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN BECAUSE OF HOW HARD WE HUNTED IN THE MOUNTAINS FOR 3 DAYS TO GET HIM. SEEING ALL THE VOTES FOR ZEBRA I AM GOING TO HAVE TO COLLECT ANOTHER BURCHELL'S FOR A TASTE TEST.

I didn't get to try any zebra but blue wildebeest schnitzel was amazing. gemsbok tenderloin was very good as well as bacon wrapped blesbok tenderloin.

All the game was tasty but the zebra was very good. Sable had the texture of well cooked brisket, also very good.

I am a hunter for many reasons. Like all of us here.

I enjoy everything about big game hunting. Enjoying game on the table is one of them. Actually a very important part for me. I always tell myself the hunt isn't over until the meat is gone.

The reason I thought of this was because I just enjoyed an elk steak I harvested last year. Made me think of the game we enjoyed in Africa recently.

I realize hunting in Africa is different from hunting in the US. It is virtually impossible to export meat from the animals your harvest. This is much different than what I am used to from being a resident in the US. I realize it is the laws and logistics, I know that every pound of meat we harvest is utilized. If not, I wouldn't hunt.

When I was in Africa our camp chef (the best) prepared meat from what we harvested the previous day. I enjoyed it very, very much. To me it is an important part of the hunt. I sampled Zebra, Springbok, Nylala, Kudu and some chops. One especially delicious meal was a Steenbok stew that we enjoyed very much. One day late in the hunt I harvested a zebra. It was a big old fella and when we got it loaded in the truck I was tired and thirsty,tired, sleep deprived, sweaty and...thirsty. I road a few miles back to camp with our tracker, a nice young gentleman named George. He looked at me and smiled and told me "My family likes zebra! Tonight we eat Zebra." We shook hands, hugged and I thanked him for all his help. A great young man. It made me happy he'd have something his family enjoyed.

Anyway. I couldn't find a post on this whole forum about what you all like to eat from your game animals in Africa.

I'll start. My favorite is Springbok tenderloin.

Beverages. I got to meet Castle Lager. We got along well. After dark a couple fingers of any distilled spirits on ice was good before dinner.

A Springbok shooter was done in respect for each animal we harvested.

A great part of the hunting experience.

Thank you Africa.
Eland

Burchell's Zebra
Oryx
Springbok

Didn't get to taste eland.

Hartebeast backstrap. Soy sauce and hot seared medium rare.
Castle Lite

There are so many fine eating African animals and great camp chefs enhance the tastes even more. They take such pride in their cooking efforts. One of my favorite meats not mentioned so far is Gerenuk. So tender. I think I have mentioned before the strangest repast I have tried was prepared by a couple bushmen, hyena blackstrap. I was not too crazy about it, I could not get over the mental issue.

Last edited:
Almost forgot kudu meatballs eaten cold for lunch after a protracted blesbok adventure. . . I suspect eland meatballs would be even better. To satisfy my wife’s curiosity there was some tripe one evening. It was ok-wouldn’t request it, but I can say I don’t hate it either.

I think Zebra had the best flavor, but it only hung for 1 day so it was tough, I'd like to try it after being hung for about 10 days and I think it would be perfect. Oryx is my # 2 I've ate several meals in Africa with Oryx and my wife and I have both got an Oryx at White Sands Missile Range, so we ate 2 of them here at home my favorite equal to Pronghorn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElvisHertz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!