Favorite cartridge/rifle for moose

Only hunted moose one time in Newfoundland. I used a Model 70 Winchester in .300 WSM. Nosler partitions did fine. There was real potential for distance shooting there though my shot was close. Called it in during the rut to about 100 yds. If I go again, I'll take an 8mm Rem Mag just because I like it,

I love talking about moose hunting!

I prefer something in the 30 cal range. But that is more because of the weight of the rifle than anything. It sounds like you will be hunting terrain similar to where I hunt. I like to get in the bush and walk around. It's a lot of tangled bush, marshy open areas and new growth. I used to hunt with the 375 H&H I took to Africa. But, I got tired of maneuvering it through the woods.

So my vote would be on whichever rifle you find easiest to handle over, under and through the forest.

If you stay on your ATV and prowl the logging roads (and nothing wrong with that at all) then I think it's about preventing a nasty retrieval from some tangled bog. In that case the larger bores will be great.

Enjoy!
20201123_085642.jpeg
20201123_085632.jpeg

I prefer something in the 30 cal range. But that is more because of the weight of the rifle than anything. It sounds like you will be hunting terrain similar to where I hunt. I like to get in the bush and walk around. It's a lot of tangled bush, marshy open areas and new growth. I used to hunt with the 375 H&H I took to Africa. But, I got tired of maneuvering it through the woods.

So my vote would be on whichever rifle you find easiest to handle over, under and through the forest.

If you stay on your ATV and prowl the logging roads (and nothing wrong with that at all) then I think it's about preventing a nasty retrieval from some tangled bog. In that case the larger bores will be great.

Enjoy!View attachment 397550View attachment 397551

I like talking moose also. Even yard moose. Love them.
Top picture is probably a 2 year old. It is a young bull that shed its little antlers about 2 weeks prior to this picture.
Bottom picture is a yearling that was without momma moose. I never saw her and this one was around a couple of days
67A6FAFC-93EB-4F0E-80A8-6F311588E663.jpeg
5755C456-5A6B-489E-B3D1-EFF127E51EE6.jpeg

I've never hunted moose either but I have eaten it. My brother shot a young bull years ago in British Columbia and you could cut the steaks with a fork. Very good eating.
I have not had the pleasure of hunting moose, but I like the idea of using the Ruger Guide Gun in 338 Win Mag or 375 Ruger. Do moose make for good eating?

Enjoy!
I use an Argo with tracks to get myself and camp in. Usually my wife goes, she is not really a hunter but she loves camping.
Once camp is set up, all travel is on foot. Until and if, I am fortunate enough to kill.

My area is pretty much the same terrain as yours. Even when you think that you are in a dry spot, soon the moss compresses and you are in 6” of water.

I absolutely love calling moose in. That is a big thrill for me.

Any big cased .338, .358, .375, .416 (or even .416 Taylor or .458 WM which are short cases). Yes, a 6.5-7.-30 will do the job, but the aforementioned will do it better. Heavy for caliber, high SD bullets (I'd use a 200-220 gr min IF 3006 or 300 Mag was my only option. SDs>.300 penetrate quite well.) They are huge animals, requiring some penetration on angled shots, albeit typ American thin-skinned variety. A moose is NOT a big blue bull Eland! And, I don't want to track it, only to find that a behemoth brown bear has taken it over...Excellent table fare, maybe 2nd only to Eland!

Only hunted moose one time in Newfoundland. I used a Model 70 Winchester in .300 WSM. Nosler partitions did fine. There was real potential for distance shooting there though my shot was close. Called it in during the rut to about 100 yds. If I go again, I'll take an 8mm Rem Mag just because I like it,
I have never owned an 8mm Remington. But, have always thought it was a great cartridge. I am a fan of the 8mm’s.
I have 325 WSM’s and have thoughts of a stainless 8x57. I try to keep those thoughts at bay.

180 grain TTSX out of a 30-06 has accounted for our Moose. Quick kills, no drama. From 25 feet to 350 ish yards worked the same. Did not find them difficult to kill, but if you take a behind the shoulder shot, only involving both lungs, it can take them a bit to lay down and expire. Large animals with quite a bit of lung capacity and blood I think. It’s our favorite game meat.

heavy 338 win mag and bigger. my advice is to shoot the heaviest caliber gun you can shoot comfortably and accurately. A wounded moose near water will try to make the water. And wounded moose already in water will try to go in the deeper water. if you can anchor them on dry land than your day cutting and hauling is going to be much more pleasant. I’m a big fan of the 416 with premium bullets when I hunt in Alaska.

I have taken 22 moose in northern Newfoundland since 1984. First 3 with a .308 and all the rest with a .300 Weatherby mag. Hunting partners used a . 340 Weatherby, .308, .30-06 and similar. Use whatever .30++ caliber you shoot really well, loaded with premium bullets and wait for a chance at proper shot placement. Nothing else matters.

Just curious as to what other hunters prefer for moose hunting. I am fully aware that you can kill them with anything, shot placement, and other standard comments.

My typical shooting distances have varied from about 25 yds to approximately 180 yds. In my present hunting area 225 yds would be maximum visibility. 25 yard to 75 yds are probably the most likely shots. Shot times have varied from early morning, mid-afternoon, and very late evening. Conditions usually fog/mist, rain, and on the rare occasional sunny.

I am a fan of 323/8mm through 416 calibers.

My personal used favorites are:
338 Winchester, 24” stainless Ruger rifle
375 Ruger, 20” barrel stainless Ruger rifle
416 Ruger, 20” barrel stainless Ruger rifle
I may break tradition and hunt with a 325 WSM this year. If it returns from the gunsmith in time. I like this cartridge. I have carried it once prior, but no legal cooperative bull was seen.

Scopes vary, and change at times. But, 1.1-4x24, 1-6x24, 1.5-6x42, 1.5-8x42 dominate my scope use. I like scopes with ample field of views, and a highly visible reticles. I prefer 60’ at 100 yards as a minimum field of view.
Just take the .375Ruger and that'll do ya.

Wether you`re trophy hunting large moose or hunting for the meat makes for a huge difference.
Trophy hunting 375H&H is my definite first choice. Normal hunting as we do it here in Scandinavia with dogs 8x57JS is my absolute favourite. I like to get in quite close with open sights. Its exiting and challenging but also to have control over the whereabouts of eventual loose dogs.

When I was stalking a large moose standing for a dog carrying my 375, the dog got aware of me so when the moose charged the dog, the damn fleebag came like a rocket out of the bush towards me with the moose just a few yards behind. By a reflex and with intention I shot the moose in the shoulder area. What a mess.. We had to throw I would estimate 30-40 lbs or more of good meat. Could`nt even give it to the dogs.
The dog should not have been carrying your 375 :)
I let mine carry my beer in saddlebag pouches

Just take the .375Ruger and that'll do ya.
I am not questioning what to personally take. I have used either a 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger for the past many years. Though, I will likely take a 325 WSM this year. If it is out of the gunsmith shop in time. Only because I want to use the rifle.

I am asking what others use. Or would use on their hunt. Purely for conversation.

I fully agree the 375 Ruger the works very well. It has been excellent for me in the past using 270 TSX.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg